• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Please Stop Sending Payments as Gifts...

mbmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipped costs usually don't cover everything for shipping (ex. Box costs, packing peanuts, styrofoam and so on). So the seller tends to have to spend more of the earnings just to ship.

Just add the cost to the fee you are charging and dont ask the bayer to send as gift.

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just add the cost to the fee you are charging and dont ask the bayer to send as gift.
No where did I suggest sending as a gift but did say it is at the buyers discretion. My comments are more so on the side of the 3% charge argument (added in the price or additionally on payment).

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the sellers realize if the buyer adds 3% the seller is then charged 3% on the new amount

reid429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost associated with selling an item. Keep it up and reef2reef will take the 3% fee for selling the item on their site

RalphsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how some will say "if you don't want to pay the 3%, don't buy it." How about if some of the sellers that are gouging on prices and then trying to command another 3% on top of it simply not sell anything if it's that much of a hassle? The answer is simple, they are adding to the gouging and want to line their pockets. It's not about sharing, or trying to get others into the hobby. It's simply about money. This hobby was a lot better before all the aspiring ballers got into it thinking they could profit huge off others.

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how some will say "if you don't want to pay the 3%, don't buy it." How about if some of the sellers that are gouging on prices and then trying to command another 3% on top of it simply not sell anything if it's that much of a hassle? The answer is simple, they are adding to the gouging and want to line their pockets. It's not about sharing, or trying to get others into the hobby. It's simply about money. This hobby was a lot better before all the aspiring ballers got into it thinking they could profit huge off others.

+1000

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well tech the fee is 3.10% if ppl want to be sticklers about it

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I see it as supply and demand...if sellers are "gouging", then buyers should not pay that price. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy overpriced items. If nobody buys, those "ballers"/sellers make no money. They either lower prices or stop selling.

As for the 3% on PayPal/eBay... I feel that the Seller just eats that loss. It's part of choosing to use their service or buyers choosing to buy through those services.

justindinh24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every earned income has be reported. The matter of if it is taxable for that tax year is the question. If you get audited, and it is not reported you can get in big trouble.

if you sale stuffs and make more than 10k a year.. yeah that would big a trouble. otherwise I don't think that is big deal with it. YOU just get some $$$ from what u owned .

FinzAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is this debate still going on?? Seriously...

Buyers... Don't be stupid. Send through paypal.. Request invoice if you want. Don't send as gift...

Sellers.. Just factor the 3% into your charge... $100.. Call it $103..

Either way... If anyone is worried about 3% its pathetic... Your state sales tax is likely twice that amount

ksr.aaron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% Agreed I think 3% Is a very cheap insurance policy, wish my insurance company on 9 Heavy duty trucks charged 3% on me.... I would be MUCH better off and buying waaaaay more coral!

ingtar_shinowa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol wow I've never really balked at paypal fees. I never ever send as gifts, and I know when I'm buying for individual on here that are giving me a good deal on stuff I pay them a little extra to cancel out the fees paypal take just because it THREE PERCENT. It doesn't mean much, but if someone is a good seller I feel its like a tip. They people whose posts demand it up front I skip over because those are silly. Unless its a great deal, then who cares. Ill buy a hot chalice at 25% of retail and throw the guy his paypal fees, I'm not subsiding on ramen and begging for used saltwater from the LFS for my water changes. What 5-10 bucks?

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I posted this thread just to kind of remind people not to send as a gift unless they personally know the seller and even then they still probably should not. I do not really want to debate the whole 3% fee thing lol who pays that and how really comes down to the buyer/seller.

RalphsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I posted this thread just to kind of remind people not to send as a gift unless they personally know the seller and even then they still probably should not. I do not really want to debate the whole 3% fee thing lol who pays that and how really comes down to the buyer/seller.

I find it somewhat humorous that the topic even needs to be brought up. But then again, a fool and his money are soon parted. Might as well tell some of the folks not to eat yellow snow while you are at it. LOL.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every earned income has be reported. The matter of if it is taxable for that tax year is the question. If you get audited, and it is not reported you can get in big trouble.

I think it's 600.00 + a year . It has to be filled as a 1099 misc . Small business . I got gift cards from work and had to pay taxes on the darn things .

dorky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feel strongly about it. I refuse to buy corals tht already high price n pay for the shipping and then an additional 3% fee or send it as a gift. I can understand the shipping part but lost me at the fee tht I'm not suppose to pay for since I'm not the buyer. If I sell things I'll keep it affordable n throw some freebie to take care of the shipping. This a hobby where we all work together n spread the joy of buying new corals or toys

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back