Some reasons why corals just don't look good, and what to do about it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As coral famers, importers, and handlers we get to see a lot of different corals on a daily basis. We care for thousands of specimens of hundreds of species at one time. And that's not only a recipe for occasional trouble- it's a good way to learn a few things about coral care! We have made plenty of mistakes, but we've also learned from them, and today, I'll offer you a few tidbits that we've learned from hard experience that might whelp you in your coral husbandry efforts.

Perhaps your corals just aren't looking quite like they used to. Colors and behaviors are off, etc. What are the signs? What do they mean? What was the cause, and what can you do to to correct the problem? Here are some of the more common issues we've run into and our observations on each:

The polyps don’t extend like they used to- Well, this is definitely a sign that something might be amiss…Coral polyps are used for feeding, and an animal that doesn’t feed….well, you get the picture. The root cause of this, in our experience, always seems to be some sort of environmental parameter swing, such as temperature or alkalinity.

UC3inch-super-hairy-aussie-acro-128.jpg

If it used to be "hairy", and it isn't, something's up.

It’s a common theme in coral care, but the importance of stable environmental parameters just can’t be stressed enough. It’s not about specific numbers- it’s more about keeping the numbers within a certain range.(NOTE: Soft corals, such as Sarcophyton, will often retract their polyps for extended periods of time to shed a waxy mucuus coat. This is considered a normal part of the coral’s life processes. Once the “shedding†is complete, the polyps will re-emerge.). Another, often overlooked cause of this "retracting" phenomenon, seems to be flow…In our case, it was just too darned much in some instances. Our advanced, uber-cool “stealth†gyre flow systems, designed by Jake Adams, provide wicked flow at minimal power expenditure, and flow is of vital importance to coral health.

UC4inch-perfect-toadstool-leather-78.jpg

Some corals, like this Sarcophyton, will retract their polyps from time to time as part of their normal life processes.

Although I won’t go into the specifics of our systems’ flow design (the general information is out there in Jake’s writings, but the engineering aspects and physics of our particular setups will remain under wraps for now - gotta keep some things proprietary…we’ve seen other vendors attempt to duplicate our system, with varying degrees of success, I might add…So we enjoy our advantage there!), suffice it to say that, as Jake likes to say- flow is perhaps more important than light. However, some coral don’t do well under super high flow. Our solution was to create some physical flow “speedbumps†and to learn our systems to see where the areas of slightly less flow were, and place corals carefully based on their specific flow requirements. When we make flow recommendations on our coral pages, they aren’t just pulled from “the booksâ€- they are based on our actual experience.

system_DSC1002-2.jpg

Wicked flow is good...usually.

The coral’s color is not what it used to be, or SHOULD be. We’ve all seen this before, right? The once vibrant tissue is pallid and washed-out. In our experience, this condition is generally caused by one thing: The water is just too darned…well, clean! Yeah, we’ve talked about this here before, right? We kept our raceways so **** clean, you could literally give birth in them. And you know what? Our corals colors were just not there. We tested for everything- we had undetectable nitrate, phosphate, etc….Then we looked at some of our personal system where corals were displaying vibrant colors and thriving. What was the common theme? Measurable, but low nitrate, phosphate, and large, well-fed fish populations.

So, we added more fishes, like tangs, wrasses, etc to our raceways- and fed them. A lot. As a result, they poop a lot, right? Good for corals! We shut off the water flow and fed our corals when they wanted to be fed- in the dark, with feeding polyps extended. We started using “Acro Power†amino acids from Julian Spring’s Two Little Fishies on a regular basis, along with Potassium. We just plain relaxed a bit. We even stopped using the protein skimmers in our raceways every single day…this, in my opinion, always amounted to heresy. But guess what? Colors began to return, the corals grew faster, and they looked amazing. We still monitor water quality several times a week…but we look for trends, rather than obsess over target numbers. Are you sensing a theme here? Good. We get dozens of emails a week and lots of great comments from our customers about how vibrant and healthy our corals are. We must be doing something right, huh?

2012-08-02 05.17.19.jpg

Our finned friends help our corals in lots of ways...don't leave them out of your coral tanks!

The tissue at the base of the coral is bleached out, or areas at different parts of the coral appear to be bleached. On stony corals, such as Acropora, Stylophora, etc. this is often caused by things like stress from shipping, lapses in environmental conditions, particularly alkalinity or temperature swings. We saw this phenomenon early on in our facility’s existence, when we couldn’t quote manage to keep these particular environmental parameters tight. This is a bit different than “RTN†or “STNâ€. This is a simple “bleaching†of random areas of the coral.

Once we were able to keep our systems more stable (ie; minimize or eliminate alkalinity and temperature swings), this became a thing of the past. Of course, you might see whitening of the tips or branches periodically because of some repeated physical insult, such as the coral being damaged ( ie; coming in contact with a more aggressive coral, being scraped by a fish or invert, etc.), or less frequently, a pest like flatworms, etc.

The takeaway here is to keep things a) stable within a range, b) from bumping into each other or otherwise coming into direct physical contact with each other, and c) inspect for pests regularly. We even noticed this phenomenon when we went through a period when we were overly obsessed about dipping our corals for pests. When we relaxed a bit, and followed more relaxed protocols, this problem subsided. Above all, don't panic! Just asks yourself questions and work the problem without adding to it.

Other things we’ve noticed: Some corals just don’t respond well to fragging. Period. For example, our beloved “Strawberry Shortcakeâ€, Acroproa microclados, just flat-out looks like crap after its fragged. There is a very long delay from the time the mother colonies are fragged until the time when the frags are actually marketable. It takes a month or more to make a frag that anyone would recognize as a “Shortcakeâ€, let alone, want to purchase. The frags almost always go brown within days after being fragged, then slowly, over a period of weeks, they encrust at the base, and gain some pink, then ultimately, yellow.

1inch-strawberry-shortcake-58.JPGUC.jpg

To get a "Shortcake" this tasty, you just can't rush things!

So when you see super bright “Strawberry Shortcakes†on clean plugs without being encrusted at all, it’s almost a guarantee that you’re looking at a fresh cut frag that will usually go south quickly before it comes back. I'm not being negative here. Just offering a friendly warning from the folks who actually “named†this popular morph and have worked with it for a long time. Other corals, such as Acroproa spathulata and, to a lesser degree, Acropora valida and Acropora millepora, will also display this “ugly duckling†phenomenon with some degree of regularity. You just can’t hurry love, as they say.

Some corals don't travel well, either. Like people, some corals just don’t like getting on airplanes. They’d rather be left alone in their raceways, unmolested and undisturbed. Chalices and Acans are prime examples. Often, they will take days, or sometimes even weeks, to regain their ultimate colors again after being shipped to a customer. They seem to require inordinately long acclimation periods in some instances. Fortunately, the majority of the corals that we work with ship quite well, and acclimate easily to new surroundings. In fact, even the Chalices and Acans acclimate well, they just take a bit longer to attain their former glory in many instances. The key as a consumer, is not to panic and start moving them all over the tank and messing with them if they don’t look perfect on arrival..Just give them some time and care, and they’ll be there!

Ok, so there you a a few of the common reasons why corals just don’t look right, and what to do about them. None of this is proprietary, absolute gospel, rocket science, or even revolutionary. It’s pretty basic stuff. However, this little offering is based on our personal experiences, trials, and tribulations, and perhaps you might use this information as either a starting point or validation for your own observations and husbandry techniques. Sometimes it's nice to see what someone else is doing. You'll realize that we all face the same challenges, and everyone's experiences are helpful! For everything that we do know about coral care, there is so much that we don’t know!

Let’s hear a little about your personal observations, experiences, tricks, and ideas about keeping your amazing corals well…amazing! Don't be shy- every observation is important...Share!

Thanks again for stopping by, and as always…

Stay Wet.

Regards,

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not bad. After some experience in this hobby I have concluded that keeping p04 around .04 area along with heavy feeding (2x daily minimum) has improved my situation greatly. GFO keeps the p04 from heavy feeding in check. If you run gfo or carbon and don't feed your going to have white coral. Iodine and potassium is the 2 main ones that I have noticed color changes w. dosing.

lumbeejerk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not bad. After some experience in this hobby I have concluded that keeping p04 around .04 area along with heavy feeding (2x daily minimum) has improved my situation greatly. GFO keeps the p04 from heavy feeding in check. If you run gfo or carbon and don't feed your going to have white coral. Iodine and potassium is the 2 main ones that I have noticed color changes w. dosing.

Iodine and potassium ? Good or bad

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great articles. I found these articles by accident a few days ago. Now I've read every single one of them...I've went back as far page 11; hoping that there will be more to read. Sadly not. These short articles are like little gems of advice. Extremely valuable.

I've been keeping mainly SPS corals for around 10 years, and general reefkeeping for aroud 15 years...yet I'm still learning. These articles have either taught me a few new things or at least reminded me something so basic, which I had forgotten the importance of.

I reside in the UK, so I am sorry I cannot support your business, but I would have loved to do so. It's refreshing to come across a vendor such as yourself.

Can you please do an article specifically on colouring up and feeding SPS corals? I realise most of the general basics that you've covered applies to SPS as well, but an in depth discussion on colouring up and feeding SPS corals would be awesome.

I look forward to more of these articles. I hope my fellow American reefkeepers realise how lucky they are to have such high calibre coral vendors.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with you about PO4..Feeding is so important, as is the need not to get overly fixated on numbers! We don't aggressively measure iodine, but we do follow up on potassium..

-Scott

Catra2030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up. I personally have experienced the impacts of having "too clean" water. I tested everything I could think of and looked at every detail of my setup that would hopefully answer why my corals were losing color. In the end I pulled the skimmer, fed heavily, dosed amino acids regularly and fed the corals heavily, and within a few weeks I noticed a considerable difference.

Assyrianfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is by far one of the best reads I have read in a long time. The only thing I cant seem to get right is placing the coral when it come to their need in water flow. some ppl are able to put say chalice in a high flow, but ppl like me are not able. I want to be able to keep high end chalice and acans, but that who try and find the right sweet spot scares me lol. What would you say is the right way to go about finding the right spot.

Also I hope to see more threads like this

Thank you

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great articles. I found these articles by accident a few days ago. Now I've read every single one of them...I've went back as far page 11; hoping that there will be more to read. Sadly not. These short articles are like little gems of advice. Extremely valuable.

I've been keeping mainly SPS corals for around 10 years, and general reefkeeping for aroud 15 years...yet I'm still learning. These articles have either taught me a few new things or at least reminded me something so basic, which I had forgotten the importance of.

I reside in the UK, so I am sorry I cannot support your business, but I would have loved to do so. It's refreshing to come across a vendor such as yourself.

Can you please do an article specifically on colouring up and feeding SPS corals? I realise most of the general basics that you've covered applies to SPS as well, but an in depth discussion on colouring up and feeding SPS corals would be awesome.

I look forward to more of these articles. I hope my fellow American reefkeepers realise how lucky they are to have such high calibre coral vendors.

Thanks so much for the nice compliments. We're trying to do things a bit differently, and sometimes that means sharing our mistakes AND our victories, so that we all benefit. Funny that you went back to page 11...LOL I started writing these articles a while back after I got kind of tired of posting "Look at the great corals we have today!" Yuck.

FYI, we're working feverishly on resolving the logistical hurdles to shipping to the UK in the very near future...Maybe we can hook you up soon, after all!

I think it will be a great idea to write an Acro specific blog soon! I'll start working on it!

Thanks again!

Scott

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott - This write up should help a lot of customer's corals to look colorful and healthy! Healthy corals displaying their richest, most colorful pigments just make the hobby so much more appealing.

Earlier in the hobby there was so much written up about how coral feeding was 'dangerous' and photosynthetic coral didn't need to be fed. Since nothing on the WEB really dies, this unfortunate info still makes the rounds.

One of my favorite 'low-budget' techniques is to feed my fish and then thoroughly mush up a small amount of food in between thumb and forefinger underwater to make a 'paste' which is released in front of an outflow Since most processed fish foods have a good amount of potassium, this simple process supplies this element...plus many others.

Ralph.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up. I personally have experienced the impacts of having "too clean" water. I tested everything I could think of and looked at every detail of my setup that would hopefully answer why my corals were losing color. In the end I pulled the skimmer, fed heavily, dosed amino acids regularly and fed the corals heavily, and within a few weeks I noticed a considerable difference.

BOOM! Another obsessive reefer convert! We were so fixed on parameters and such that we realized that we needed to just look at the corals! Thanks for sharing.

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is by far one of the best reads I have read in a long time. The only thing I cant seem to get right is placing the coral when it come to their need in water flow. some ppl are able to put say chalice in a high flow, but ppl like me are not able. I want to be able to keep high end chalice and acans, but that who try and find the right sweet spot scares me lol. What would you say is the right way to go about finding the right spot.

Also I hope to see more threads like this

Thank you

Thanks for the kind words! We like this type of open dialogue- It's very helpful to share this type of stuff, as that's how we learn. And if we as vendors can pass along what works for us, it will give you- our valued customers- information that they can use to achieve higher levels of success! The best way to find the "sweet spot" is really to follow some generally accepted parameters, and then push it a bit...Try to always look at how well your corals look, as opposed to what numbers your test kits are showing...Good luck!

-Scott

Steveowhits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. I think you bring up many good points. I obsess over details and sometimes forget to pump the brakes and just look. I find myself trying to use too many products to treat minor issues and sometimes learn lessons at the cost of killing something. I.E. trying to bump Ph and causing an alkalinity spike. Trying to lower nitrates and phosphates and causing color bleaching... Tinkering with some lights to add color and losing the natural color in my SPS. I could go on and on.

The only thing I kind of disagree about is going slack on dipping at the hobbyist level. Last year I got to experience a full blown Acropora eating Flatworm pandemic caused by my lack of vigilance. I feel like as a hobbyist who buys from many places, the value of my reef system is greater then the value of my newest frag. The best vendors in the world still occasionally have corals with issues. Sometimes the issues occur during transit; Sometimes the vendor takes a shortcut in the screening process (I'm not pointing any fingers, I love 99% of the R2R vendors).

This is what has worked well for me....My hobbyist level solution is to trust no one and set up a small 10 gallon with alternating flow and low light for QT. I use low light because I find that it lowers the chances of shocking the new coral with light. IMO, dipping is hard on a coral that has just made a long journey. If you break open the new arrival and toss it in a dip and then your reef tank you may further stress a stressed coral and introduce a pest. If you can use your tank water and let the new coral stabilize in a QT away from your prized reef for a few days you can really give it a better chance to have a good life post dipping (IMO). After you dip the coral you should also put it back in the QT instead of your reef; I almost killed some inverts in my tank by putting a coral with dip residue right into my tank. Lastly, most dips only kill the adult stage and not the eggs. A 2nd well timed dip can kill the 2nd generation. Each pest has a different tolerance to dips and hatching time, so do your research and know your enemy.

I wrote this out not to detract from Scott's Article in anyway. I really enjoy reading his perspectives.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. I think you bring up many good points. I obsess over details and sometimes forget to pump the brakes and just look. I find myself trying to use too many products to treat minor issues and sometimes learn lessons at the cost of killing something. I.E. trying to bump Ph and causing an alkalinity spike. Trying to lower nitrates and phosphates and causing color bleaching... Tinkering with some lights to add color and losing the natural color in my SPS. I could go on and on.

The only thing I kind of disagree about is going slack on dipping at the hobbyist level. Last year I got to experience a full blown Acropora eating Flatworm pandemic caused by my lack of vigilance. I feel like as a hobbyist who buys from many places, the value of my reef system is greater then the value of my newest frag. The best vendors in the world still occasionally have corals with issues. Sometimes the issues occur during transit; Sometimes the vendor takes a shortcut in the screening process (I'm not pointing any fingers, I love 99% of the R2R vendors).

This is what has worked well for me....My hobbyist level solution is to trust no one and set up a small 10 gallon with alternating flow and low light for QT. I use low light because I find that it lowers the chances of shocking the new coral with light. IMO, dipping is hard on a coral that has just made a long journey. If you break open the new arrival and toss it in a dip and then your reef tank you may further stress a stressed coral and introduce a pest. If you can use your tank water and let the new coral stabilize in a QT away from your prized reef for a few days you can really give it a better chance to have a good life post dipping (IMO). After you dip the coral you should also put it back in the QT instead of your reef; I almost killed some inverts in my tank by putting a coral with dip residue right into my tank. Lastly, most dips only kill the adult stage and not the eggs. A 2nd well timed dip can kill the 2nd generation. Each pest has a different tolerance to dips and hatching time, so do your research and know your enemy.

I wrote this out not to detract from Scott's Article in anyway. I really enjoy reading his perspectives.

Awesome points! Not detracting in any way! And you're right- I didn't really touch on quarantine and dipping- which I as an individual and UC as a company are fanatical about! I quarantine everything from everyone, and recommend that all reefers do the same... Dipping is interesting, because it's a terrific practice...We actually got a bit carried away with it at one point and nuked a lot of corals through purely human error...More on this some other time. Regardless, you are 100% spot on about dipping and quarantine...go go go!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Scott

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I always notice is hobbyist buying several corals at one time and then dumping them in a tank. QT is surely not happening for many hobbyist who get in a rush to get a reef going. Being in a hurry is a recipe for disaster.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back