Some reasons why corals just don't look good, and what to do about it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome article as usual!
Maybe you should compile all your articles and consider writing a book of some sort? I'd read it :)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you should compile all your articles and consider writing a book of some sort? I'd read it :)

That's really interesting...And I have been contemplating such a venture...It might be a little too "opinionated" or "fluffy" for some people, but hey, why not? I will probably being working on a presentation based on this stuff for my ReefStock 2014 talk, so who knows?

Thanks for the kind words!

Scott

ReefHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

I've been reading as many of the articles as I come across here on r2r by Scott as I can. I can relate to many of them because I keep a mixed reed with probably mostly Acros..... Your knowledge is very much appreciated!!!!
Have you ever come across red bugs and salinity issues?? These have plagued my reef in the past....
Oh, and colonial hydroids..... Any experience? Thanks!!! Hope to keep seeing great articles posted and maybe a book.... ;)

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, a book that we can understand, you speak our language not one where we have to google a definition. I would definitely buy your book.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

I've been reading as many of the articles as I come across here on r2r by Scott as I can. I can relate to many of them because I keep a mixed reed with probably mostly Acros..... Your knowledge is very much appreciated!!!!
Have you ever come across red bugs and salinity issues?? These have plagued my reef in the past....
Oh, and colonial hydroids..... Any experience? Thanks!!! Hope to keep seeing great articles posted and maybe a book.... ;)

LOL Thanks for the kind words!

We have not had a red bug issue; We have had to deal with flatworms (AEFW) before, and it sucked...That's why we've become near fanatics about quarantining everything that goes in our raceway, right down to having dedicated freshwater dip basins for our look down boxes for each raceway. We found that the maricultured pieces are the toughest to deal with, in terms of pests coming in, so we cut them off of the mariculture plugs and glue 'em to standard inert plugs every time...Just makes the most sense to us. More time, expense, and it delays us from throwing maricultured corals right up on the website when we get them in, but it gives the corals time to adapt to captive conditions and really encrust...All good stuff. I think that you'll always have a certain number of these pests to deal with in even the most well-managed system...The key is to try to keep them from getting in to begin with; and if you can't- to try to keep the numbers as low as possible. I suppose that complete eradication is possible in a home aquarium, but in our 30 foot long raceway systems, it's more practical for us to practice prevention.

Have not had experiences with colonial hydroids, except while diving and touching a few- OUCH!! As far as salinity shifts- we do monitor this regularly, and manage it with tipoff systems. Our Apex controllers monitor the other parameters, such as pH, ORP, temp, so we can get good baseline data. In the end, you can really be best served by trying to find a range of parameters that work for you and keeping them in that range, as opposed to just shooting for a specific number, as we've discussed ad nauseum here! LOL

Good luck, and maybe I need to start thinking of that book...LOL

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, Tyler, I've been approached about the idea; perhaps....perhaps! I greatly enjoy the dialogue with our readers and fans here on R2R, and get tons of good ideas and feedback from everyone here..that's even more fun than a book, but who knows? Stay tuned for what's next!

Regards,

Scott Fellman

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, a video could be cool, too..I mean, if the guys from "Tanked" have a TV show...at least Joe and I are better looking, although probably almost as dysfunctional, LOL..:juggle:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, a video could be cool, too..I mean, if the guys from "Tanked" have a TV show...at least Joe and I are better looking, although probably almost as dysfunctional, LOL..:juggle:

The dysfunctional makes it fun, IMO, as long as it's not mean. XD

Betcha yours would go over better with the reefing community...those guys can build tanks, all right, but their stocking is atrocious.

Don't even get me started on their FRESHWATER stocking....makes me wanna go postal at times.

Last edited:

JVI90gREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing! I find myself checking R2R for a new write up on another important topic in our hobby, relevance is key, and every single write up I've read of yours is 100% relevant and relatable!

What potassium test kit do you guys use?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing! I find myself checking R2R for a new write up on another important topic in our hobby, relevance is key, and every single write up I've read of yours is 100% relevant and relatable!

What potassium test kit do you guys use?

Thanks so much for the kind words...This hobby/art/science changes so often, that it's hard to really say what is 100% relevant; I figured a long time ago I'd just write about stuff that interested me or piqued my fascination, in the hope that it would interest other reefers...Well, 7 MACNA presentations, hundreds of club talks, and dozens of articles later, I guess I've lucked out on that! A good tip for aspiring writers and presenters- write about stuff that interests you; do it in a way that IS you, and maybe, just maybe, others will relate and be inspired by it. Cool stuff!

We use the Salifert potassium test kit. How accurate is it? I honestly can't say for sure, but since we are not obsessed about the numbers as much as we are by the trends, it works well for us!

Thanks!

Scott

JVI90gREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the kind words...This hobby/art/science changes so often, that it's hard to really say what is 100% relevant; I figured a long time ago I'd just write about stuff that interested me or piqued my fascination, in the hope that it would interest other reefers...Well, 7 MACNA presentations, hundreds of club talks, and dozens of articles later, I guess I've lucked out on that! A good tip for aspiring writers and presenters- write about stuff that interests you; do it in a way that IS you, and maybe, just maybe, others will relate and be inspired by it. Cool stuff!

We use the Salifert potassium test kit. How accurate is it? I honestly can't say for sure, but since we are not obsessed about the numbers as much as we are by the trends, it works well for us!

Thanks!

Scott

Congratulations and may you have continued success! Your insight and experience is greatly appreciated!

mclawrence

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article! I think my water was a little too clean also. My Finger Leather shrank to almost nothing but was revived after removing the Poly Filter I was using in my filter. The reason I knew it was the Poly Filter was because after I put another piece in the filter the Finger Leather started shrinking again. Also, I've been stumped about my Toadstool Leather. It was really nice for a while then never came back out. Last week our power went out for just a few hours and my mini protein skimmer didn't come back on so I removed it to do some maintenance. I've been too busy to put it back in the tank. After a couple of days my Toadstool Leather started looking better and gets better each day. I have a 20 gal nano and use an AC 110 with chaeto, chemi-pure, Algone, and a small bag of PhosGuard.

Back