Rethinking water changes...again. Evaluating the Triton "method" objectively...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you know, we’ve launched the full line of Triton products on the Unique Corals site. Consumer reaction in the U.S. to this stuff has been nothing short of awesome...Seems like everyone is talking about it! Hobbyists everywhere are learning more about the chemical composition of their reef tanks, and even more important- talking about it.

full-tank-shot.jpg

It’s been an amazing, enlightening, and interesting journey thus far. I realized that there is far more to the hobby than the small view that I held onto for so many years…I’ve learned to be a bit more open minded, while still maintaining some skepticism- even when selling a product. I’m trying not to drink too much of the Kool Aid. I even forced myself to reevaluate what I have taken for granted. Case in point:

I have always been a huge fan of water changes…I was just convinced that this was the best way to manage nutrient control and export in captive systems…

I’ve held that belief pretty much my entire aquarium keeping “career”, and have always held the practice of regular water changes “sacred” to my reef keeping repertoire. I’ve written about them, talked about them with others..Heck, I even gave a MACNA talk on this a few years back. I was a near fanatic about doing water changes. For many applications, they are absolutely the best way to go, IMHO…

Scott-Fellman-at-Next-Wave.jpg

However, I’ve been really re-thinking the entire philosophy behind the regular water change as a primary nutrient export vehicle. It hasn’t been easy to get the notion out of my head, I tell you. What made me re-think this was our recent indoctrination to the Triton “method” of reef keeping. I’ve touched on this stuff before, and I still find myself struggling to grasp it at times. It involves me wrapping my head around a different viewpoint…being open minded, instead of the stubborn reefer that I am sometimes. Not easy.

Ask yourself this:

Why do we do regular water changes in reef systems?

Okay, besides the obvious and banal response of "because ‘they’ say you should", I’ve kind of narrowed it down to a few reasons…And they make sense. However, if you look at things objectively, especially taking into account the Triton philosophy, it’s quite understandable that the concept of the regular water change is- gulp, not something that is a “concrete” rule we MUST follow in order to be successful with corals (I NEVER would have thought that I’d be writing those words, but hear me out before you put your iPad to sleep, okay?).

*We perform regular water changes to facilitate nutrient export. In other words, they are one of our primary methods to remove unwanted substances, ranging from nutrient excesses to toxins, from our systems. This is a tried and true, sound technique that definitely works. It removes these things- and other stuff- from your system permanently. The old adage about “dilution is the solution to pollution” is spot on here under this consideration.

*We perform regular water changes to “reset” beneficial trace elements in our systems. Freshly mixed saltwater provides many essential substances that our corals need in order to maintain health and growth. Kind of like “topping off” your motor oil in your car, sort of? Sound, on the surface…unless you consider the fact that you are basically creating a “biological upheaval” to your system every time you change a percentage of the aquarium water, asking the animals that reside in it to make significant adjustments to a rapid change in their environment. Okay, I'll say it again..I'm NOT sounding the alarm that water changes are bad and that every tank in which water changes are performed is destined to fail. ABSOLUTELY NOT. That's beyond stupid. "Haters", please get that notion out of your head..

IMG_2978.jpg

Now, one could argue that the “risks” associated with performing a regular water change far outweigh the risks associated with forgoing them altogether. I would not argue this..unless you look at it from the Triton point of view:

Closed marine systems (ours) have unusually large numbers of animals concentrated in a relatively small body of water. They are totally dependent upon an external factor (hey, that’s US!) to maintain the stability and integrity of the system. These animals consume available nutrients and trace elements as part of their life processes, as well as eliminate metabolic waste, chemical secretions, etc. In a closed system, the simplest way to remove these unwanted substances is to remove some of the water and replace it with freshly-prepared seawater.

That’s all well and good. However, let’s say that, during the interval between water changes, the corals have adjusted to a phosphate level, magnesium level, vanadium level, manganese level, etc., etc., etc. that, although perhaps lower than NSW (natural sea water) values, was stable, and tolerable for them. Suddenly, they’re receiving a “reset” of these parameters, with dramatic increases in these levels, along with an accompanying increase in pH, alkalinity, and possibly even a temperature change as well. And, let’s assume that your salt mix contained exactly the trace elements in the exact amounts indicated on the label (as many reefers can now tell you- not all do…). To corals that have been living in a closed system, this is quite a shock to absorb, wouldn’t you say?

The obvious argument is that there are numerous successful and gorgeous reef systems that have worked for extended periods of time with this tried-and-true technique. Of course, many have used other supporting equipment (ie; calcium reactors) or additives (like two part solutions, etc.) in addition to water changes. Nonetheless, over time, you’ll hear many of the most successful hobbyists telling you that their systems go through “ups and downs” where the corals don’t look as good as they did for some period of time, then rebound. Why is this? Why don’t we all have massive, colorful colonies of corals all the time? Could this be why corals don't always look great? Are there some variables at play?

Regular water changes are also typically indicated as a means to export nutrients from closed systems. Who could argue with that? By removing some water, you are, indeed exporting some nutrients permanently from the system. And of course, allopathic compounds exuded by corals to “hold their territory” are added into the “soup” that forms our closed reef system water, and our corals must contend with them. Are there other ways to mitigate this stuff besides just water changes?

IMG_2945.jpg

Of course. More tried and true nutrient export mechanisms include use and regular replacement of chemical filtration media, such as activated carbon, Poly Filter, PhosBan/Rowaphos/Phosguard, efficient protein skimming, and the growth of macro algae (such as Chaetomorpha, Ochtodes, Gracilaria, or gasp- Caulerpa) in a reverse-photoperiod section of your sump. In addition, having a healthy, growing collection of corals in the system will utilize trace elements and other nutrients aggressively, effectively removing some of these substances (such as phosphate and nitrate) from the water column. Any of these techniques/concpets will assist with nutrient export. And of course, there are others as well- but you get the idea.

So, in theory, if one wanted to avoid significant and frequent water chemistry fluctuations, one could a) regularly dose a balanced calcium/alkalinity/trace element solution, b) utilize any of the above-referenced other nutrient export techniques, and c) foster the aggressive growth of coral by keeping a healthy, well-fed population of fishes in the system, d) add only specific trace elements required by the system determined via testing, and e) maintain the salinity by exchanging some of the tank water with fresh RO/DI water.

Right?

Yeah, actually. In a nutshell, that’s what Triton is advocating. I’ve sort of put my head around it before by calling it a “deconstructed water change.”

Now sure, there are many reefers who are looking at this strictly from a cost standpoint. Some will find that it’s not a cost effective means to maintain a reef system this way. Some will feel that it won’t work. Like any techinque, there will be people for whom- due to a myriad of reasons- even this simple process won’t work. Not everyone will achieve a thriving reef system with ridiculously colored corals growing out of the water. Some will. Others will find perfect logic and economic sense in it, and give it a whirl. You’ll have to do the math and mental gymnastics yourself, but I think that, in many cases, you’ll find that when you factor in water, labor, additives, etc. and compare them to the costs of Triton’s “method”, you might find that it’s actually less expensive and less labor intensive to manage a reef system via this method. There’s a reason why it’s been working in Europe for almost a decade now.

Look, I’m NOT trying to be a shill for a product I sell, even though I’m discussing the philosophy at length here. I’m happy if you just buy my corals, believe me-that's my core business. What I am doing here is trying to clarify what is being discussed everywhere, and asked to me by many people every day. For some people, it won’t make economic sense, or they simply don’t like the idea. And that’s fine. Look, water changes and some of the other techniques have worked okay for decades, and if performed properly, will maintain- HAVE maintained- beautiful reef systems for extended periods of time. What I’m discussing here is just another approach, and analyzing it from the aspect of what we’re trying to accomplish maintaining reef systems.

What I am discussing here with Triton is NOT that it’s the “best way” to maintain a reef system. It’s just A WAY to maintain a reef system. There will always be those who won’t even listen because I’m a vendor and anything I talk about ultimately has a commercial message attached to it soemhow. I can’t really separate myself from that in some people’s eyes, I suppose. I AM trying to share with you what I have been excited and interested about recently, however. And most important, I’m taking you through the mental exercises that I performed when evaluating the Triton “method” myself. It forced me to ask myself questions- to reconsider all of the fundamental reef keeping practices that I held so dear for so many years (I’ve been keeping reef aquarium since they debuted in 1986). In the end, you’ll have to run the pros and cons for yourself, and analyze the benefit/cost thing based on your system. There are many ways to run a reef. This is just one of them. In the end, our goal as reefers is to have happy, healthy, thriving coral.

IMG_6392.jpg

What I’d like you to take away from todays discussion is not “Buy into what I’m offering for sale…” No! What I am hoping that you’ll take away from this discussion is that you can re-evaluate hobby practices that you’ve held near and dear for years, and at least give them due consideration before dismissing any different view that come along. It was not easy for this “old school” reefer to embrace a philosophy that seemingly went against all that I held near and dear…until I looked at it from a detached, less emotional point of view and realized that it really wasn’t that different from what I thought I was doing with the techniques and philosophies I’ve embraced for decades.

Anyways, I’d like to see a discussion and hear your thoughts on this stuff…Not from a standpoint of attacking anyone or trying to ridicule one side or the other. Not from the standpoint of “Scott, you’re trying to sell us on this idea.” Again, do I sell Triton products? Yeah. Do I think everyone should by them and embrace the philosophy behind them? No. Do I think we should all re-evaluate our long-held reef keeping beliefs from time to time?

You betcha.

So, keep an open mind…Keep re-evaluating, being skeptical, and sharing your views. And, most important…

Stay wet.

Regards,

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that one issue that remains unclear from the Triton method instead of water changes (rather than in addition to them) is what folks should do when certain things become elevated. Aluminum, tin, lithium, etc. that the Triton testing has indicated for them.

Export methods that are specific to these do not seem to exist, and water changes with an appropriate mix may still seem to be the best way to deal with them. :)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that one issue that remains unclear from the Triton method instead of water changes (rather than in addition to them) is what folks should do when certain things become elevated. Aluminum, tin, lithium, etc. that the Triton testing has indicated for them.

Export methods that are specific to these do not seem to exist, and water changes with an appropriate mix may still seem to be the best way to deal with them. :)

I agree, Randy..Specific export methods other than dilution with water changes or use of some chemical media (for stuff like copper, to a certain extent) seem to be the only ways preferred at this time. The Triton PURE salt seems to be one way to use the "dilution" attack. In fact, do PM me as you might want to evaluate some of this stuff...

Scott

Boggers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Randy's comment....However, I do have a local reefer that has a 450G Display tank, a 65 fuge with macro algae, and a huge sump/skimmer. He doses Cal/Alk/trace and has not changed water in a year except when he cracked the first fuge and lost a bit of water.
Bad pic, but you get the idea

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Randy's comment....However, I do have a local reefer that has a 450G Display tank, a 65 fuge with macro algae, and a huge sump/skimmer. He doses Cal/Alk/trace and has not changed water in a year except when he cracked the first fuge and lost a bit of water.
Bad pic, but you get the idea

And it is interesting for me...I literally find myself "on the other side of the fence", rationalizing the position of "no water changes...privded that______."

I think the mental approach I'm taking to this topic definitely varies from the approach that I abhorred for so many years..You know, the "In your face- I never-do-water-changes-and=look-at-my-tank" sort of attitude in years past, when plain old LUCK was a big part of the reason why the reefer in question had a system that was even hanging on with his/her dogmatic contrarian approach...At least with the Triton stuff, I can get my head around it, LOL.

Boggers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

BottomCoastReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a theory that even with water changes our systems have adapted to taking on such changes in the chemistry. Our corals have a great capability of adapting that can be overlooked at times. I believe that just as LPS adapt and learn when feeding time is approaching and extend their feeders in anticipation, our systems may also have that anticipation for a waterchange and have adapted to be prepared for it. I am not arguing as to whether the waterchange method is superior or not just giving a theory on why our systems survive such a regular change in water chemistry. As stated, many have had success with any number of methods to which the Triton method is the latest and logical that i am hearing about. Will i adopt it in my system? the debate is out in my book but i am intrigued and will do more research.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a theory that even with water changes our systems have adapted to taking on such changes in the chemistry. Our corals have a great capability of adapting that can be overlooked at times. I believe that just as LPS adapt and learn when feeding time is approaching and extend their feeders in anticipation, our systems may also have that anticipation for a waterchange and have adapted to be prepared for it. I am not arguing as to whether the waterchange method is superior or not just giving a theory on why our systems survive such a regular change in water chemistry. As stated, many have had success with any number of methods to which the Triton method is the latest and logical that i am hearing about. Will i adopt it in my system? the debate is out in my book but i am intrigued and will do more research.

I agree that corals are far more "rugged" than we give them credit for...I mean, the fact that we cut fragments off of 'em, ship 'em around the country in bags of water, and acclimate them to new aquariums all the time speaks volumes to this...I guess the real issue is that just because they CAN adapt to changes doesn't mean that it's a good thing...I appreciate your feedback! If nothing else, the emergence of Triton is opening up a some reefers to the other possibilities out there.."Quantum leap forward?" Debatable. Positive development? Absolutley!

-Scott

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option to large disruptive weekly water changes is many, many small ones which I do through my Genesis water changer.

I do 1g every 4 hours on my 300g system for this very reason. Many of my corals used to 'pout' when I did weekly 15pct WC. Not anymore.

Still an interesting discussion.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no reason to think it can't work IMO once you know what needs to be removed (zinc and copper in my case), how to remove it aside from changing water, and what needs to be replenished.

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I guess the real issue is that just because they CAN adapt to changes doesn't mean that it's a good thing...

This is a key point. I can grab a fish from my tank, hold it out of water for 30 seconds, and place it back inside. It may survive and tolerate the ordeal and I may never observe the effects of the trauma. To therefore conclude there are no effects would be a stretch.

If there are negative effects to coral from the chemical variation incurred during regular water changes, they may be subtle or unobservable, but it doesn't mean they aren't there.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option to large disruptive weekly water changes is many, many small ones which I do through my Genesis water changer.

I do 1g every 4 hours on my 300g system for this very reason. Many of my corals used to 'pout' when I did weekly 15pct WC. Not anymore.

Still an interesting discussion.

Yes, I do that with a dual head Reef Filler pump. I change about 1% daily, spread over many 15 minute periods in the day and night, so there are no sudden changes.

I never heat my new salt water, for example. :)

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty much 'All In' at this point now Scott. I started my current system back in 2011 with a very similar intent/approach using my own Biology background fundamental knowledge. To date only nine or ten 30 gallon WC's in a 125g/160 gallon overall ultra high bio-load Mixed Reef system in four full years. Over the past several months now with both the 'Triton' and 'DSR' Methods being brought forth has further sparked my interest to take it to the next level. I have yet to send samples in for Triton testing only because I am still getting my chemistry back to where I think it needs to be first from my Summer/Fall mishap. Then will run the tests to see or validate what is good and what is not before proceeding with additional testing and trace element additions. Need to get you back to Seattle again as would love to sit down and talk 'Reef' again with you, especially after your immersion into Triton.

As always, a great read my friend.

Cheers, Todd

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't they sell DETOX for heavy metal export?

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never done water changes with the intent of nutrient export. I've also never had a nitrate level above 5 ppm in a reef tank due to proper stocking levels and being careful about not feeding. I've always relied on my skimmer and carbon for the most part. Scott, my issue with this article is this, where's the science backing any of this up? To say well, it's been working in Europe for 10 years. Ok. That's cool. But how is it better than any method before it? I don't see the Triton method as anything revolutionary, nor do I doubt that it can be an effective method of reef keeping. It's just one more way to do it. An expensive way.
Randy and others have conducted very detailed scientific experiments in the past showing us why we should do what we do or not do.
All I see here is a bunch of anecdotal evidence and generalities. Saying that doing a water change, which replaces lost trace elements, and that the increase in those elements can shock or does shock the animals inside. I just don't buy it. Where is the scientific research that proves that it happens?
Are you saying that a coral that has been in water that has 0.002ppm of x element is going to have an adverse affect on it's health when that parameter shifts to 0.003ppm?
And again you claim that doing a water change causes a massive fluctuation in water parameters. I don't see a 5-10% water change in a decent size volume of water doing a massive amount of anything really. So again I ask, where's the Science? Empirical evidence?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't they sell DETOX for heavy metal export?

Yes, but it is not exactly clear what it binds (except copper) and what it doesn't, and it isn't specific for a single elevated metal, so if tin is high, for example, and others are not detected, is it going to lower tin enough, and is it going to lower the others too much? Like iron, copper, etc? That's the issue. :)

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering the same thing myself, but thought you might have had some insider info Randy!

C joke.jpg

And of course the follow up:

c joke2.jpg

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never done water changes with the intent of nutrient export. I've also never had a nitrate level above 5 ppm in a reef tank due to proper stocking levels and being careful about not feeding. I've always relied on my skimmer and carbon for the most part. Scott, my issue with this article is this, where's the science backing any of this up? To say well, it's been working in Europe for 10 years. Ok. That's cool. But how is it better than any method before it? I don't see the Triton method as anything revolutionary, nor do I doubt that it can be an effective method of reef keeping. It's just one more way to do it. An expensive way.
Randy and others have conducted very detailed scientific experiments in the past showing us why we should do what we do or not do.
All I see here is a bunch of anecdotal evidence and generalities. Saying that doing a water change, which replaces lost trace elements, and that the increase in those elements can shock or does shock the animals inside. I just don't buy it. Where is the scientific research that proves that it happens?
Are you saying that a coral that has been in water that has 0.002ppm of x element is going to have an adverse affect on it's health when that parameter shifts to 0.003ppm?
And again you claim that doing a water change causes a massive fluctuation in water parameters. I don't see a 5-10% water change in a decent size volume of water doing a massive amount of anything really. So again I ask, where's the Science? Empirical evidence?

All good points. The "Science backing this up" is the ICP-OES test results from the legions of Triton fans in the UK and Europe that have been embracing the technique for years with excellent results. Triton is based on science, not assumption. Are there some things that are not as clearly explained as we'd like? Sure. Are there some things that Triton looks at that may be of less consequence to some reefers than others? Of course. Please reread and note that I NEVER said that Triton was "better" than anything currently or previously utilized before. In fact, I was very careful NOT to say that! I appreciate that we're on the same page about it being yet another way to keep a reef successfully.

I have to take some issue with the "expensive" part, however. How did you arrive at this conclusion? Did you calculate the cost of running a given system for say, one year with salt purchases, water changes, two-part additives, test kits and other media and compare the same sized setup run via Triton for the same time period? Seeing that Triton has just made its debut in the US, I would suspect not... I'm not trying to escalate anything here- just pointing out that I hate to see the immediate labeling of this- or any approach as "expensive" without experience in managing such a system. Those kinds of generalizations are not helpful. Are there expenses associated with running a system the way Triton espouses? Of course. Is it more expensive than any other system? You'd have to set one up before you can make a blanket statement like that. I think that you'll find it's no more expensive than most "conventionally-run" systems.

As far as the "anecdotal" part, I would concede that I am not a scientist, nor am I qualified to present scientific data on things that are beyond my skill set. Approaching this as a reef hobbyist, I find it compelling that one can have exact measurements of trace elements for his or her system, and at least attempt to follow a "roadmap" towards NSW levels. I also think that Randy would be the first to tell you that we probably don't have any true experiments conducted on corals to determine if they are being "shocked" via "resetting" parameters on a regular basis. We WOULD have to look at things anecdotally, right? I mean, do we have any explanation for why someone can run a reef tank for years and years seemingly flaunting all of the "generally accepted reef keeping practices" we all know and love and yet still have a gorgeous tank, whereas another reefer can do everything "by the book" and have failure after failure? There must be some variables involved- many of which we cannot even quantify...How do we KNOW that the reason your Acropora vermiculita suddenly started to lose some color after a water change is NOT the result of a parameter shift? In the ocean, such sudden shifts cause bleaching and other problems for corals. It is not a leap of faith to theorize that fluctuating water parameters could be a potentially detrimental influence on coral health. Triton's philosophy is to minimize variables, and eliminate vague addition of "this or that" to the water in a vain attempt to "outguess" nature. And, by the way, I never claimed that doing water changes causes "massive" fluctuations in water parameters. I did, however, say that there could be "dramatic" increases in some parameters! :)

I am not making extraordinary claims. I'm suggesting that this is another way to run a reef system, and, that by making gradual or continual adjustments to your tank based on water test results, you are eliminating some of the variables that may or may not have been the cause of many reef system troubles over the years. As a guy who has for decades advocated water changes, I'm sharing with you my personal "struggle" to get my head around a different way of looking at things. I do appreciate that we are discussing this stuff in a civilized manner as reefers! Look, I'm excited and interested...And I am not about to put my years of building a good reputation for myself in the hobby on the line by going off on some goofy tangent! That's why it's great to have you guys/gals to run this stuff by...We're all sort of in it together as we learn...and I like that best of all!

-Scott

Last edited:

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up Scott. My thoughts are we have all been trained to do regular water changes to export nutrients. But in a nutshell all that does is dilute what in in the tank. We all seem to add trace elements and other stuff to our tanks and when we do regular water changes we are adding more and more. I think that's why many people incur issues such as algae and other problems. Personally I have slowed down on the water changes and I am seeing a difference in my tank. Yes we still need to dose Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium that's the 3 basics depending on what your tank consumption is.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"Triton fans in the UK and Europe that have been embracing the technique for years with excellent results."

Can you link me to any threads with these excellent results?...............there must be hundreds by now.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back