Rethinking water changes...again. Evaluating the Triton "method" objectively...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Triton fans in the UK and Europe that have been embracing the technique for years with excellent results."

Can you link me to any threads with these excellent results?...............there must be hundreds by now.

Check out ultimate reef.net and the Triton users group on Facebook, and there are a number of other UK forums with Triton build threads. If you read German, there are numerous threads as well. My partner and I also saw some great Triton tanks in Germany, where it's pretty well established. Or, you can go on the Triton US Forum right here on R2R and interact with Ehasn Dashti, owner of Triton Lab, who can personally direct you to lots of build threads and answer any questions as well.

I think you'll find that Triton is surprisingly transparent and there is way more out there on Triton than you might imagine. I appreciate your interest (and healthy doses of skepticism)...

Scott

1 salty dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, I found this to be very interesting and thought provoking...... and yes, another approach which is why I found it interesting! Keep it coming and thank you.

Pny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up Scott! I've followed the Triton method on the forums (but not in my tanks) since it appeared here in Europe about 1-1,5 years ago(?)... For me, the most striking with the Triton method (and also its lesser known sister method, DSR), is that they demystify the water changes. Previously one of the main arguments for doing water changes was that we had to remove the stuff we didn't know about that supposedly accumulated in our tanks. Now with the Triton-Lab service and the proof of tanks already going for many years without water changes following the Triton or DSR methods, the reality has changed; there are no more unknowns that require religious water changes in our tanks. We have started to gain knowledge about ALL substances that we need to import or export from our tanks. And lab services such as Triton-Lab will help us gain even more knowledge about how to care for our tanks in the future!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, for the moment I have no comment.
You know as we discussed the other day we think a like on this subject.
Will follow this to see how fellow hobbyist will comment further.

dolpator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving towards this philosphy I am dosing alk, cal, mag, and trace elements, and in the process of using a biopellet reactor from reef dynamics for nitrate and phosphate control. Chaeto in my fug and 250g rated skimmer for my 150DT. I have already sent a test in as a base line, which was actually pretty good, but after I am set up will send put another sample for fine tuning. Not sure I am going to use tritons products, but the theory behind it was enough to try. I have a fellow reefer local who sort of does dutch method, and hasn't done a water change in over a year. Tank looks awesome

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving towards this philosphy I am dosing alk, cal, mag, and trace elements, and in the process of using a biopellet reactor from reef dynamics for nitrate and phosphate control. Chaeto in my fug and 250g rated skimmer for my 150DT. I have already sent a test in as a base line, which was actually pretty good, but after I am set up will send put another sample for fine tuning. Not sure I am going to use tritons products, but the theory behind it was enough to try. I have a fellow reefer local who sort of does dutch method, and hasn't done a water change in over a year. Tank looks awesome

Glad to see you checking out different ways of doing things...The reality is that there are so many approaches to keeping a successful reef. Triton's philosophy is just another one of them. It really boils down to what works best for you. Remember, the main goal with Triton is to provide optimum conditions for "SPS" coral growth, not just a way to avoid water changes, so it's a complete thought process. I've never been a big fan of just not doing water changes for the sake of not doing them, if you know what I mean. I do understand Triton's position on this topic, and find the rationale behind it most compelling. Good luck in your experiments!

-Scott

Back