Vitamin C dosing for zoanthids (I am clueless)

GrouperGenius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped dosing. Started getting some brown, slimy hair algae popping up. I stopped using it about 3-4 days ago and the algae is dissipating.
Guess I am one of the unlucky ones that it use has bad side effect with. I really didn't notice any difference in the zoanthids, but only used it for a week. The algae was too much a negative to continue its use. Started growing on everything, whether there was strong flow or not.

Mike, you just keep on doing what you been doing all along. Your stuff has allways looked awesome before.

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a common side effect & will abate after a water change & continued dosing. It is the end result of the bacteria eating your nitrate. Did you test them before & after dosing?

rebelprettyboy

xMRxCOMPLTEx
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me silly but it seems as if im already gettin good result with this Vit C! Seems like a fw colonies colors are already lookin better

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not crazy--this stuff works pretty fast! How long have you been dosing & at what ppm? I swear, at 100ppm, it's getting rid of my zoapox!

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a common side effect & will abate after a water change & continued dosing. It is the end result of the bacteria eating your nitrate. Did you test them before & after dosing?
Well, that was with the Kents stuff and I am getting the powder next week which I had ordered already so may give it a go again.
Total gls in my systems is 90 so how much should I start with of the dry if I do decide to give it a try again?

rebelprettyboy

xMRxCOMPLTEx
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im dosing 1/4 TSP so I guess thats 1112mgs? 2 times a day! In a 14 gal system

I ordered the one u posted on here from IHERBS...

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FR, Start with 1/4 tsp, 2x/day & work your way up bu 1/4 every 3-4 days, until your desired amount. I am dosing 1 tsp in the morning & 2 at night on my 90g (100g totall water volume) system.

RPB, That sounds about right, if you are having problems. If not, stay at about 1/2 that.

GrouperGenius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should be getting the stuff from Iherb in a few days.

My problem is I just know I'm not going to dose 2x a day every day. I leave for work at 4:30 am and don't get home till 6:00pm. Do you think a single daily dose will do much?

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem--just dose before you leave in the morning & after you get home from work. As long as 1 dose is without the lights on, night or morning.

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has any one used the seachem amminoacid and vit c supplement? i got some for free the other day and so far ive only used it to soak my food in for my tank

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got mine in today. Thinking of starting with 3/4 teaspoon on a 120 with 30 gallon sump and 30 gallon refugium. Is that too much? Starting tonight.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey David - After you were over my house the other night and we were talking about it I figured I would give it a try. From what I have read you want to start with 1/4 teaspoon for every 100 gallons two times per day. So, that would put you at 3/8 of a teaspoon two times per day.
I am going to start at 1/4 teaspoon per hundred gallons two times a day and work my way up.
Let me kow when you start seeing results!

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Gary! I am going to start tonight. The corals are doing great by the way. The acans opened up nicely on the shelf I was talking about. Probably just over 1/2 the way from the top. Check out some of the pictures.

http://davidandtricia.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album02

Our camera is not that nice, so some of the pictures are bad. You will see the green slimer and blue tip stag I got several months ago. Looking at the older pictures out there, guess we are getting decent growth. Go to page 5 for newer pictures.

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started dosing yesterday evening. Dosing at 7 am and 7 pm 3/8 tsp directly in refugium. Here are some before pictures.

Attachments

• Reef2Reef1.jpg
    Reef2Reef1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 237
  • Reef2Reef2.jpg
    Reef2Reef2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 247
  • Reef2Reef3.jpg
    Reef2Reef3.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 225
  • Reef2Reef4.jpg
    Reef2Reef4.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 218

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure at least one of your dosings is before or after lights out, as the corals absorb the C better in the dark. Hold on to those "before" pics & post them later, next to the "after" pics (in a month or 2).

You don't have to be very exact with this stuff, as long as you don't raise the dosage too fast, you cannot overdose. Folks who have raise it too fast, have noticed some cloudiness in their water, which can affect the SPS. In tanks >100g, it's ok to start with 1/2 tsp (2x/day, into your sump) & then raise it to 3/4 tsp after 3-4 days & then 1 tsp after that. Leave it at 1 tsp for about a month & see if you like the results or go higher after that. I dose my 100g system at 1 tsp in the morning & 2 after lights out (for about a year now).

Last edited:

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will increase the dose tonight to 1/2 and then go to 3/4 this weekend. My wife gets a little nervous dosing things, so I was trying to do it when I left in the am for the "lights off" dose. Is it better to dose that one at night?

frogfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine in today! I have a 40G with a HOB refugium... I am a big advocate of starting off really slow... suggestions on starting dosage?

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four doses and everything is fine. No side affects. One of our acros is showing more polype extension than before, so one positive. We got some zoa's on a trade and they are slowly opening, maybe the results of VC. I will keep eveyone posted.

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Froggie, Start at 1/4 tsp (2x/day) & raise it to 1/2 tsp after 4 days. You can leave it at that if you are pleased with the results or raise it more if you are having issues with your corals.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back