Vitamin C dosing for zoanthids (I am clueless)

ChrisP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to put a 10K bulb in temnporarily to take both the before and after pics. My 20K (regular bulb) makes it hard to see true colors in photos.

taavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend the last frew weeks reading about the vc and the benifits of using it. I am not a big fan of dosing anything but alk, cal, and mag. But have decided to try this for a few months to see how it will work for me. My only problem is I still don't understand the formula on how to figure out the dosing amount.
What i am thinking is

total water volume
x
ppm you are wanting
x
3.285 (convertion to liters)

I feel stupid for not understanding this, but could someone please make sure that I am figuring this right so i don't make a mistake and wipe everything out.

taavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly because I want my zoas to be healthier. I got a few frags that aren't opening up like they should, and I would like to see how the VC works.

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case, start dosing 1/2 tsp (2x/day) for 4 days, raise to 1 tsp for 4 more & keep dosing that amt. until you're up to 2 tsp (2x/day). You can even go to a tbsp if necessary. Use the VC mentioned earlier in the thread. I can link you again if you need.

Last edited:

taavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the help, I did order the Sodium Ascorbate, buffered VC. I just wanted to make sure of the dosing before i started. i will start some before and after pics to let everyone see how things are going.

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I think it is best to use that product (best deal too). Did you use the discount?
I did. Cost is is less than $11 shipped with the discount. Thanks for all the info. I had started using the Kent's Marine C with good results but at the cost of it will give this a try.

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note and not to toss the use of Vit C out the way because I am having good results with it but I received some Mohawks last week that di dnot ship well and were not opening and started to fungus. I dipped in Furan2 like in ZoaID directions, just did once, and then dipped in full strength Kent's Iodine and they are now opened and doing well.
Just some info for zoas that are looking bad. The Furan2 seemed to kill off the fungas that had started to for on them after a couple days and the Iodine gave them a protective coating allowing them to heal up.
Here they are day I got them
IMG_8640.jpg

and here they are right now. They should start to color up soon. All polyps survived.
IMG_9364.jpg

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just ordered 3 bottles of the stuff. There is another person from KY that highly recommended it, so I am going to try. We have 5 different colonies of zoas, not doing bad, but not thriving either. I will try and post some pictures.

frogfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading this whole thread, and then seeing someone's tank last night... I'm going to give it a try!

Edit: I also wanted to ask - My tank is in my office so I don't always come in on the weekends, so dosing then will be difficult. This just won't be as good, but not detrimental, right?

Last edited:

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct, dose when you can. I'm treating my tank for red turf algae, with AlgaeX & can't dose VC while treating. Other then going thru VC withdrawls myself, the tank seems to be holding it's own.

kingnitro1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much information to digest. Is there a chart to figure out gallon to VC ratios? I have a NC12 which has maybe 8 gallons of water total.
Thanks.

rebelprettyboy

xMRxCOMPLTEx
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add more pics to the thread here are some before pics before dosing Vit C! Ill post new pics in about a month! Started dosing Jan 1st

DSC01677.jpg

DSC01700.jpg

DSC01681.jpg

DSC01685.jpg

DSC01695.jpg

DSC01712.jpg

DSC01735.jpg

DSC01734.jpg

DSC01694.jpg

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped dosing. Started getting some brown, slimy hair algae popping up. I stopped using it about 3-4 days ago and the algae is dissipating.
Guess I am one of the unlucky ones that it use has bad side effect with. I really didn't notice any difference in the zoanthids, but only used it for a week. The algae was too much a negative to continue its use. Started growing on everything, whether there was strong flow or not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back