“High” phosphates - More GFO or more flow?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’ve been working on lowering my phosphate levels from 0.2-ish down to a target of 0.05-0.1. I have a reactor which is running BRS high capacity GFO but it seems like the phosphate level has plateaued.

Would increasing the volume of GFO or increasing the flow through the reactor help lower the levels?

Thanks in advance

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow through the reactor should cause GFO to tumble gently, so if it tumbles and no decrease in phosphates, increase amount of GFO.
You could also try Lanthanum chloride to decrease phosphates and than use GFO as maintanance.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’ve been working on lowering my phosphate levels from 0.2-ish down to a target of 0.05-0.1. I have a reactor which is running BRS high capacity GFO but it seems like the phosphate level has plateaued.

Would increasing the volume of GFO or increasing the flow through the reactor help lower the levels?

Thanks in advance
How often are you changing the GFO?

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank visibly suffering, or is your ocd suffering? I’ve lost countless corals trying to lower my phosphates with GFO. Now I never touch my phosphates . Currently my tank is at .2 also, and besides a few patches of algae it’s doing great, and I haven’t had any coral issues . I guess what I’m trying to say is that if it ain’t broke don’t fix it beyond .2 . Rather try to increase the flow in the tank, increase the light and do a couple of waterchanges.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 120 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back