Controlling phosphate with gfo

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago I started running gfo in a reactor to lower my phosphates which were at 0.3. I tested po4 daily and watched it lower, and now it’s at 0.1 and getting close where I want it to be at 0.05.
The question is, once it’s at the level I want it to be at, how do I control it to keep it in the 0.05 range?
Turning the reactor on and off would be annoying so curious to see what others do.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago I started running gfo in a reactor to lower my phosphates which were at 0.3. I tested po4 daily and watched it lower, and now it’s at 0.1 and getting close where I want it to be at 0.05.
The question is, once it’s at the level I want it to be at, how do I control it to keep it in the 0.05 range?
Turning the reactor on and off would be annoying so curious to see what others do.
As long as you've not seriously overloaded the reactor with GFO I think you'll find it will reach an equilibrium with the bound phosphate in the rocks and substrate.

Mine did, and will happily sit at around 0.05. Once it starts rising you replace the GFO with a small amount on a regular basis.

You'll have to find the appropriate amount, although most brands give an estimate per gallon of GFO.

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you've not seriously overloaded the reactor with GFO I think you'll find it will reach an equilibrium with the bound phosphate in the rocks and substrate.

Mine did, and will happily sit at around 0.05. Once it starts rising you replace the GFO with a small amount on a regular basis.

You'll have to find the appropriate amount, although most brands give an estimate per gallon of GFO.
I have the least recommended amount of gfo in now, so I’ll just add less and see how it goes.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obvious approach, but can gfo sit in a reactor for periods turned off?

I have the least recommended amount now, but could go less I guess.
I worried about this myself, but I have not had any issues so far. Others may way in and say different.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It stays usable until completely exhausted and claims it won’t leech. Once you’re at your target you can turn it off or fine tune how much you put in to keep it stable. It would be cool if there was a reactor with a time release of media. Closest is an open top like avast marine or nyos where you can drop a couple tablespoons in as needed

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would not use GFO for that small reduction in phosphate, I use a liquid phosphate remover like phospate-E or phosban-L to decrese a few decimal points.

My phosphate is about .1, when it climbs to 1.5 or so, I add just one or two drops, and it brings it down to close to .1. If you do use this, use only a drop at a time, its very strong stuff.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back