0 nitrate and phosphate

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently started to get a few strands of dynos in my 15 gal AIO and checked my nitrate and phosphate. Both at 0. I feed pellets 2x a day and a cube of Emerald feast in the evening. About 3x a week I use Red sea AB+ and 2-3x a week Reef Roids. Was maintaining at 5 nitrate and .025 phosphate but now both are at 0. Since feeding is not doing it I looked at Neo phos but it said it lowers nitrates. And the nitrate additive lowers phosphate. what the heck? How would adding 2 products that lowers each other be productive? I've slowed down on water changes and am running my skimmer drier but no luck. Any ideas about how to increase both without throwing a buffet table in the tank? I already feel like I'm over feeding for a 12gl water volume. Everything looks great and is growing but I know I need to get my levels up before long. Tests were done with Salifert and backed up by Hannah. I dose Mag, Calcium and alkalinity about every 3rd day and every other level stays perfectly. Just those 2 jacking me up.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a skimmer? if so, you could set it on a timer to run less or turn it off altogether.
Wouldn't recommend shutting the skimmer completely off. Gas exchange is one of the major bonuses. Better to let it drain back into the sump or dial down to skim dryer.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use reef energy daily and up the reef roids or simply feed the fish more.

CoralsAnonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the inquiry on your skimmer as it can be cleaning a bit too well. Do you currently have macroalgae or other nutrient consumers in the system and how much?

OP
OP
Rabidbeast666

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't recommend shutting the skimmer completely off. Gas exchange is one of the major bonuses. Better to let it drain back into the sump or dial down to skim dryer.
I'm skimming so dry it's crunchy almost.
Which hanna checker are you using for P?
The egg one low range.
I second the inquiry on your skimmer as it can be cleaning a bit too well. Do you currently have macroalgae or other nutrient consumers in the system and how much?
No macro. Skimmer is a small Magtool.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. All Hanna checkers are eggs. Low range is not the one you want. It is +/- 0.04 ppm phosphate.
Not true. I have this one though I didn't know it had gotten so expensive.

1702422118087.png

OP
OP
Rabidbeast666

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dumped about 4x the phyto and Reef Roids I normally do in tonite. I'll check it tomorrow and see did it budge off of 0.

OP
OP
Rabidbeast666

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dumped about 4x the phyto and Reef Roids I normally do in tonite. I'll check it tomorrow and see did it budge off of 0.

make your own DIY solutions and dose until you can keep it in your tank.

Use this calculator. @Randy Holmes-Farley recommends it and says potassium nitrate will get you close enough for nitrate. There is one there for potassium phosphate .

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm

I dumped about 4x the phyto and Reef Roids I normally do in tonite. I'll check it tomorrow and see did it budge offof

make your own DIY solutions and dose until you can keep it in your tank.

Use this calculator. @Randy Holmes-Farley recommends it and says potassium nitrate will get you close enough for nitrate. There is one there for potassium phosphate .

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm

I'm at 3 on nitrate and .08 phosphate today. That's better. Tonight I'll do my normal feeding and add the AB+ for the corals and just keep checking to make sure I'm not bottomed out again. I'm thinking about putting my skimmer on a timer and running 1/2 day instead of 24hr as well. Thanks for the input guys.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back