OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Ammonia must be coming down slowly. Big overdose in the beginning?
I assume so. I have never tried to cycle a tank with bottled bacteria. I have always used the raw shrimp method. I dosed according to the fishless fuel bottle instructions. 5 ml per 25 gal to raise ammonia to 2 ppm. I dosed 15 ml total. There must have been quite a bit of ammonia in the Ocean Direct "live sand" I didn't account for.

Here is the ammonia test from tonight. Things are slowly moving in the right direction.
20240320_200314.jpg

Yesterday's results
20240319_190731.jpg

March 16th
20240316_175219.jpg

My assumption is the high nitrate levels are a product of the over abundance of ammonia and by product of the cycle. As the ammonia levels drop, so too will the nitrates?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume so. I have never tried to cycle a tank with bottled bacteria. I have always used the raw shrimp method. I dosed according to the fishless fuel bottle instructions. 5 ml per 25 gal to raise ammonia to 2 ppm. I dosed 15 ml total. There must have been quite a bit of ammonia in the Ocean Direct "live sand" I didn't account for.

Here is the ammonia test from tonight. Things are slowly moving in the right direction.
20240320_200314.jpg

Yesterday's results
20240319_190731.jpg

March 16th
20240316_175219.jpg

My assumption is the high nitrate levels are a product of the over abundance of ammonia and by product of the cycle. As the ammonia levels drop, so too will the nitrates?
Something needs to eat the nitrates. Have any corals or macroalgae? Can also just do water changes.

OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playing with the Kessil a bit tonight...need to order some orphek filters now! Also switched the gyre to the ocean gyre cycle to see what happens with the sand when it runs in forward and reverse. Will run it for a few days to see what happens and then try the Lunar tidal cycle before I decide which to run permanently.

20240322_181510.jpg

OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you thinking of getting?
I dunno...I was thinking maybe a Tomini Tang or Kole Tang (blue eye) as I didn’t realize the yellow eyes were impossible to get with the Hawaii collection ban...I'm gonna hold off on adding my clowns from the biocube first as I have been reading it is best to not introduce them first. Was also thinking maybe an azure damsel, or green chromis, but I really don't want to deal with uronema right out the gate...

Have any suggestions?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno...I was thinking maybe a Tomini Tang or Kole Tang (blue eye) as I didn’t realize the yellow eyes were impossible to get with the Hawaii collection ban...I'm gonna hold off on adding my clowns from the biocube first as I have been reading it is best to not introduce them first. Was also thinking maybe an azure damsel, or green chromis, but I really don't want to deal with uronema right out the gate...

Have any suggestions?
I like the kole and tomini tangs. I'll get one when I have a bigger tank.

A red lined wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus) which is the smaller side of the genus might be a good addition. 24" is short for most wrasses, but there is width to that tank too. I enjoy a pair of pink streaks, but that tank isn't set up for them yet--they need lots of nooks and crannies for hiding.

Are you thinking of angels? A flameback, flame, coral beauty or cherub might be nice depending on your coral plans.

OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the kole and tomini tangs. I'll get one when I have a bigger tank.

A red lined wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus) which is the smaller side of the genus might be a good addition. 24" is short for most wrasses, but there is width to that tank too. I enjoy a pair of pink streaks, but that tank isn't set up for them yet--they need lots of nooks and crannies for hiding.

Are you thinking of angels? A flameback, flame, coral beauty or cherub might be nice depending on your coral plans.
I really like the Two Spot Bristletooth too!

I have kept Flame Angels in the past, and never had an issue with corals. From my understanding they usually do fine with softies and LPS, but may go after polys on SPS, correct? I have always like coral beauties and Rusty too, so that might be an option as well. Need to reach out to my LFS's and see what they have available.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Two Spot Bristletooth too!

I have kept Flame Angels in the past, and never had an issue with corals. From my understanding they usually do fine with softies and LPS, but may go after polys on SPS, correct? I have always like coral beauties and Rusty too, so that might be an option as well. Need to reach out to my LFS's and see what they have available.
I'd like a flameback, but I've got way too much tasty coral. My meaty corals like trachy, lobo and scoly are prime menu items. I saw a goldflake angel in a local reefer's tank last week and made me rethink having angels!

OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoJosReef @CBonito @Sharkbait19

Maybe 0??? If not, so stinking close! Was hoping the test this morning would be a definitive 0, cuz I am traveling past one of my favorite LFS this afternoon and was hoping to stop and pick up my first new additions to the tanks. But now, not sure it is ready...

20240330_094506.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the LFS today...overall I was pretty disappointed with the fish selection. They had a million clownfish and very little else.

I did snag 3 Green Chromis and a nice head of Duncan though!

20240405_175113.jpg

20240405_174946.jpg

I really need some filters for my camera!

OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I have fish in the tank, I made it a priority to get my cover built....which I hope i never have to do again...it was not fun! I built the DIY Red Sea 24" kit. Took me several hours to get it done, but overall I am happy with how it fits and turned out.

20240407_105829.jpg
20240407_115926.jpg
20240407_135404.jpg

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it fits perfectly! Nice!

I bet that Kessil gives awesome shimmer, I would love to do a cube with a single light source at some point.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoJosReef @CBonito @Sharkbait19

Maybe 0??? If not, so stinking close! Was hoping the test this morning would be a definitive 0, cuz I am traveling past one of my favorite LFS this afternoon and was hoping to stop and pick up my first new additions to the tanks. But now, not sure it is ready...

20240330_094506.jpg
Not sure how I missed this, but yes you were ready and looks like you're well on your way! Nice light and screen setup!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back