1.66 lbs of salt to increase salinity from 1.0245 to 1.0255 ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to increase my salinity and directly adding salt in a bit of water, slowly, would be the easiest.

I used a calculator and according to it I should add 1.66 lbs of salt for 120 gallons ? Does that make sense ? Temperature is 25.5 C.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the best plan is to replace evaporated water with salt water until you reach the target.

For the calculator, you have to assume a moisture level in the salt mix which you likely do not know, but it is ok for a rough calculation.

Last edited:

beamers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO method will be the smoothest. Just mix up that extra 1.66 lbs ( which sounds correct, also checked a calculator ) into your ATO and monitor it after its finished topping off in a few days. Such a crazy PH shock when you mix it directly into a sump or dump it in using buckets.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the best plan is to replace evaporated water with salt water until you reach the target.

For the calculator, you have to assume a moisture level in the salt mix which you likely do not know, but it is ok for a rough calculation.
Just curious, why not just turning off the ATO then manually top off with 1.0255 salt water? you'd have to remove the salt water from the ATO reservoir later and replace with RODI. is normal evaporation too fast?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, why not just turning off the ATO then manually top off with 1.0255 salt water? you'd have to remove the salt water from the ATO reservoir later and replace with RODI. is normal evaporation too fast?

If you want to do it manually that’s certainly fine. You do not need to replace small amounts of residual salt water in the ATO.

beamers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dose magnesium sulfate your levels will rise gradually anyways. Not sure if you do.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dose magnesium sulfate your levels will rise gradually anyways. Not sure if you do.

That’s certainly true, but it is true of many additives. Is there a reason you suggested that one?

Back