120 Gallon Salty Condo

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This past Saturday I added a Toadstool leather to my tank and right away the think opened up and had full polyp extension and looked great. My Duncan coral was looking really good as well with good extension. Ever since then neither has come out at all both being fully retracted. So I thought it was due to fish traffic so I moved them both to different location.
Yesterday at lunch they were both maybe 50% extended and I thought "ok, they'll be fully extended when I get home tonight". NOPE. Ever since they have not been extended one bit.

Here are my questions:

Should I worry? Are they still adjusting to the new locations? Do I have a fish bothering them (potentially the six-line wrasse or the Pacific Blue Tang) as they always seem to be near the corals? Should I cover the corals in a strawberry type basket to keep the fish away but still allow for flow?

I've never owned these types of corals before so I'm not sure what to expect. All my other corals look great and show no signs of stress. Montis are all growing and looking great, crown leather is full extension, zoas are all open and happy, mushroom is open and looking good. I just can't explain it. Seems like the corals with long tentacles might just not work in my tank????

Your fish are not going to bother your corals. They are probably just adjusting to your system. This can take a couple of weeks sometimes. Differences in ph, salinity, lighting etc. are all reasons for it. Leave them alone, let them be, and see how they do. they should be fine. Patience Grasshopper....

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!! What brand of LEDs are those?are they always that blue?like in the video?

They are roughly around 18k look I would say. At first I did not like them because I like more of a 12-14k look but now I am used to them and really like them. Not as blue as the video shows.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish are not going to bother your corals. They are probably just adjusting to your system. This can take a couple of weeks sometimes. Differences in ph, salinity, lighting etc. are all reasons for it. Leave them alone, let them be, and see how they do. they should be fine. Patience Grasshopper....

Thanks Chris! Funny you say patience because this is the most patient I have ever been. The tank is almost 1 year old and most people have their tanks stocked well beyond mine in just a few months! I'll leave them be and hopefully they adjust. The Duncan has been in there for a few months now but I did just move it so it needs to adjust again.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you completely on the patience side. I noticed that from when I first saw the tank. I just know that when I add new corals, they sometimes would perk right up and look great for the first day or even a week, and then suddenly they didnt. It's a little frustrating when you are that excited over new additions. That's all i meant.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood! And I know what you mean about being excited. I was super happy at how that toadstool looked and waved in the currents in there and now I am bummed because it looks like crap. LOL

Hands off is the best approach. Just needed some reassurance from ya! Thanks.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan was 80% extended at lunch and ate a lot of cyclops when I fed the tank.

Toadstool about 20% out. Progress!!!!

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Skinz. I agree about the 120's. I still need to get over and check out your thread.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
November Update

So I added a few more corals this weekend. Got a softball sized purple tipped Frogspawn, frag of a scroll coral which is only the size of a dime, one red mushroom, and a large fire shrimp. As soon as I put the new shrimp in the tank it went into immediate battle with my mean fire shrimp. After a few minutes and a few appendages broken off and flying around it seems like they will get along now. I also moved some of my corals around and they seem much happier. The Duncan was moved to an area of low flow and now it's extended all the time. Moved the Kryptonite CC up to the very top of the rock and it is now coloring up and getting "fluffy" I guess you could say. Here is a quick video...

[video=youtube_share;a6KpGag0tpw]http://youtu.be/a6KpGag0tpw[/video]

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frogspawn day.jpg
FS during the day.
frogspawn night.jpg
FS under the blue lights.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crummy iPhone video

[video=youtube_share;WZ7fje7YM9M]http://youtu.be/WZ7fje7YM9M[/video]

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!! Thanks for sharing!!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back