OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1425952181.787252.jpg

Stained the doors picked up some aragonite waiting for BRS to get more pukani rock so I can place my order and a couple bags of figi pink, and I'll be good to go hopefully...lol

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1425952315.090650.jpg

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally ordered the rest of the stuff needed to get the tank going. Started setting up a qt tank as well.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1428015937.933509.jpg

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1428075984.697976.jpg

29g quarantine

Made that much water and now getting 1 ppm. Really sucks I spring has great customer service but their resin sucks. I flushed the system I was getting 8ppm after the ro before I sent it through the resin, and the resin was brand new. I ordered a BRS dual di filter and extra resin hope this solves my water problem.

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude if you are getting 8 PPM after the RO that is going to EAT ANY RESIN! What RO/DI filter do you have? If your filter is using GAC instead of an actual carbon block know that that stuff can go really quick. Check out the BRS universal carbon block, it will kick butt and to go with it id go for the sediment filter they recommend to insure that the carbon block does not get clogged up.

You really want your system to be putting out no more than 2PPM after the RO before the resin. Unless you like buying lots of resin.

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has a sediment and two carbon filters then from ro splits di and gac. Which are separated. Think I will order replacement filters for everything from BRS. I need to check with my water company to see if they use chlorine or chloramine. I know that can effect the carbon I need too.

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has a sediment and two carbon filters then from ro splits di and gac. Which are separated. Think I will order replacement filters for everything from BRS. I need to check with my water company to see if they use chlorine or chloramine. I know that can effect the carbon I need too.

Regardless of which they use the BRS Universal is going to be the best carbon block you can get from them. The impact is how many gallons you can produce before they need replacement. BRS did a great video series around testing of carbon blocks. Look for it on their site.

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I checked it out my water pressure before my ro unit is only between 40-50 psi which could be causing me to have a higher ppm coming out of the ro. Think I will get a booster pump 150 gpd upgrade and universal filter kit from BRS. I should of never skimped on the rodi unit to begin with obviously paying for it now lol, but with all that it should fix my problem.

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I checked it out my water pressure before my ro unit is only between 40-50 psi which could be causing me to have a higher ppm coming out of the ro. Think I will get a booster pump 150 gpd upgrade and universal filter kit from BRS. I should of never skimped on the rodi unit to begin with obviously paying for it now lol, but with all that it should fix my problem.
40-50 PSI should be enough. Get the booster and the extra membrane if you want, it certainly will make your carbon blocks last longer since you will be throwing out half the water that you normally would. The key is making sure that you are addressing the chlorine or chloramine with quality carbon blocks before the RO membrane, since it will kill the RO membrane and still get through to your DI, and eat the crap out of it.

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40-50 PSI should be enough. Get the booster and the extra membrane if you want, it certainly will make your carbon blocks last longer since you will be throwing out half the water that you normally would. The key is making sure that you are addressing the chlorine or chloramine with quality carbon blocks before the RO membrane, since it will kill the RO membrane and still get through to your DI, and eat the crap out of it.

Thanks for the info I get my rock in today so I need to start making water soon. Ready to get the cycle started feels like it's taking forever with the water problem, but not going forward until I get that perfect.

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one of the smartest things I have heard someone with a new tank say. Too many will ignore a water quality issue until it is a major problem and they have a tank full of problems.

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the rock in yesterday aqua scaping is harder than I thought, here's some pics.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1428500138.443699.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1428500188.417807.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1428500254.214093.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1428500305.143474.jpg

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very dense foam it sunk in the foam maybe 1/32 if that

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. This has been a great build thread!

Thanks had a micro bubble prob, but think I got that fixed. The water is a little cloudy, but I think that's suppose to happen right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3 got between 0 and .025 nitrite in the dt, but nothing in the qt is it possible to overdose ammonia? It looks like it's in between 4 and 8

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 22.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 85 71.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back