2-3 part dosing.... whats everyone using?

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about doing some dosing pretty soon as I'm getting more and more into SPS and was just looking to see what everyones using and how well they like it.

Personally leaning towards a calcium reactor, but figured I would check out this option as well :)

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 part dosing is cheap, safe, and effective. They add ca/alk by slowely pumping ca or alk rich water into a tank, and pump so slow, if they were stuck on, for example, you would probably notice, assuming that you are using a 1ml a minute doser, it would take hours to do damage. With a ca reactor, you lower ph and increase co2 and risk adding too much co2 and killing everything, that and it takes up waaay more sace than a couple jugs and wall-mounted dosing pumps.

gws3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
2 part is definitely going to be easier than a reactor starting out. You will find it much easier to control.

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use BRS 2 part, plus the magnesium and drip kalk

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy BulkreefSupply.com's 2-part calc and alk. I also buy their Magnesium. I just mix up a gallon at a time. At roughly 35ml of alk and calc dosed daily, one gallon of each lasts me roughly 2 months. The magnesium lasts me even longer.

Fieroguy19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 part dosing is way easier than a Ca reactor and unless you have a huge tank it will be cheaper to run as well.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Randy's Recipie, baked baking soda solution for alk, and prestone driveway melter solution for cal. Epsome salts for Mag. Cheap and easy. I had the some container of driveway melter for like 2 years till I actually used it to melt ice on the sidewalk, lol. Baking soda is like 98 cents for a box and makes a gallon of solution or a half gallon as i make mine double concentrate.

Last edited:

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 part is definitely going to be easier than a reactor starting out. You will find it much easier to control.
I couldn't agree more. If you're just starting out with SPS (assuming you're buying frags, not colonies) your demand will be relatively low and fine tuning a Ca Rx for low dosages becomes troublesome IME. Until you start getting some nice sized colonies, I'd stick to the 2-part and once your 2 part dosing gets out of hand then revisit the addition of a calcium reactor. The size of your tank will likely play a large part in your decision as well because 2 part dosing on smaller tank is more eonomical even with a thriving SPS reef.

Last edited:

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did two-part for years until getting a used Deltec Ca++ reactor. I would never go back to two-part on this tank. This reactor, along with an electronic CO2 regulator is as easy to set up and operate as it gets, truly plug and play. There is an initially large investment but pays for itself over time, depending on how big your tank is, or if you plan on getting a bigger tank one day. As mine is set up now, I can adjust my Ca++ and Alk precisely by turning knob. The electronic regulator is key. My pH has acually improved, and my alk has been constant (even on vacation), corals love it :)

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 36 41.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back