2-part customized

Tmmste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear All,

I wondered if anyone could give me some feedback on my version of 2-part. Sorry for the Dutch but I guess you understand what it means. Bluefield I fill in, green is expected outcome.

Potassium: based on randy's experience with Dow's
Strontium:Calcium, 1:50, this ratio i got from balling
Magnesium: I choose 5% for magnesium&calcium combined (as some Mg is used instead of Ca regarding the 7,2 to 1kH usage), I will still do a waterchange with salt that is very high in Mg (like 1600)
Iodine: dosage based on Jimmy54 advice
kH 85% sodiumbicarbonate and 15% soda ash to make 84g solution (counter the pH drop a bit).

I am also working on making stock solution for magnesium & Iron. still trying to figure out how much EDDHA & DTPA chelate to use for iron.. (or maybe there is a better chelate?). I do not know if is will remain stable if I dissolve some in 1L reverse osmoses., mono-natriumcitraat with a drop of vodka I will use for the manganese solution (not for Fe else it will release iron too quick and bond with phosphate and settle.. i do not intent to reduce phosphate, just use iron as a trace element, therefore I need a different chelate). Maybe someone has a recipe for me?

Please if anyone could give me some feedback, please let me know what you think.

Schermafbeelding 2017-08-01 om 22.46.58.png

OP
OP
T

Tmmste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear All,

I wondered if anyone could give me some feedback on my version of 2-part. Sorry for the Dutch but I guess you understand what it means. Bluefield I fill in, green is expected outcome.

Potassium: based on randy's experience with Dow's
Strontium:Calcium, 1:50, this ratio i got from balling
Magnesium: I choose 5% for magnesium&calcium combined (as some Mg is used instead of Ca regarding the 7,2 to 1kH usage), I will still do a waterchange with salt that is very high in Mg (like 1600)
Iodine: dosage based on Jimmy54 advice
kH 85% sodiumbicarbonate and 15% soda ash to make 84g solution (counter the pH drop a bit).

I am also working on making stock solution for magnesium & Iron. still trying to figure out how much EDDHA & DTPA chelate to use for iron.. (or maybe there is a better chelate?). I do not know if is will remain stable if I dissolve some in 1L reverse osmoses., mono-natriumcitraat with a drop of vodka I will use for the manganese solution (not for Fe else it will release iron too quick and bond with phosphate and settle.. i do not intent to reduce phosphate, just use iron as a trace element, therefore I need a different chelate). Maybe someone has a recipe for me?

Please if anyone could give me some feedback, please let me know what you think. I hope Randy Holmes would be so kind to have a look at this, I am great fan of your work.

Schermafbeelding 2017-08-01 om 22.46.58.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no sulfate source being used to balance chloride and sulfate, and magnesium needs to be added at much higher concentration than is consumed because it will drop as the salinity rises and is then adjusted downward. My DIY has about 5x as much calcium as magnesium for this reason, the majority of which is not due to consumption but to salinity adjustment corrections.

I wouldn't put iron into a two part. It is not used in the same way that elements consumed in calcification are. If you put in a NSW amount it will accomplish almost nothing since it is depleted so fast, and if you put in much higher levels, you lose control over the dosing of it relative to calcium and alkalinity.

I discuss some of these issues here:

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

OP
OP
T

Tmmste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no sulfate source being used to balance chloride and sulfate, and magnesium needs to be added at much higher concentration than is consumed because it will drop as the salinity rises and is then adjusted downward. My DIY has about 5x as much calcium as magnesium for this reason, the majority of which is not due to consumption but to salinity adjustment corrections.

I wouldn't put iron into a two part. It is not used in the same way that elements consumed in calcification are. If you put in a NSW amount it will accomplish almost nothing since it is depleted so fast, and if you put in much higher levels, you lose control over the dosing of it relative to calcium and alkalinity.

I discuss some of these issues here:

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php
Dear Randy,

Thank you for your advice, I wonder to what extend I can get away with dosing a minimum amount of magnesium. If there is hardly any magnesium used.. maybe I can get away with just a 5% waterchange every month of so high in Mg? (1600mg is pretty high don't you think?). So far I have not added any magnesium for 3 years in a row, apart from what I added during a waterchange.
Would you advice me to just make your recipe for magnesium and dose this seperately every now and then?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a two part without magnesium will deplete magnesium fairly rapidly even if there is no consumption of magnesium at all.

Adding only 1.12 dKH per day, and the balanced amount of calcium, will drop magnesium from 1282 ppm to 880 ppm in one year of no water changes.

Water changes will mitigate that drop (especially if you start with a mix that is crazy high, :D), but IMO, adding the magnesium and sulfate is more useful than incorporating things like strontium, iodine, or iron. :)

OP
OP
T

Tmmste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a two part without magnesium will deplete magnesium fairly rapidly even if there is no consumption of magnesium at all.

Adding only 1.12 dKH per day, and the balanced amount of calcium, will drop magnesium from 1282 ppm to 880 ppm in one year of no water changes.

Water changes will mitigate that drop (especially if you start with a mix that is crazy high, :D), but IMO, adding the magnesium and sulfate is more useful than incorporating things like strontium, iodine, or iron. :)
Dear Randy I have been working on this for some time. And came up with this. Based on 20,41 Ca = 2,8 kH and also 12,152 Mg = 2,8 kH rule and calculating how much kH remains and how much Mg that would be, if (for example) Ca usage is 18 with kH 2,8. (18/20,41x2,8 = x kH... 2,8-xkH = ykH... ykH/2,8x12,152 = x Mg). Apart from that a correction on the salinity is made; removing 2,1l aquariumwater at the end of each liter solution and adding rodi with 15gr magnesium sulphate manually. The other elements are compensated automatically.
ea8dfaf2c9b9f9236275e037408b707a.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 45 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back