2 part in ATO?

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I mix my alk and cal solution in my ATO water?

For instance, if I lose 1 gallon of water a day and add 5 oz of alk and cal, can I just put 5 oz of each solution per gallon in my ATO?

nemo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No prob, but you can use kalkwasser in an ato. It contains the two of those in equal parts as it is calcium hydroxide. Get your levels to where you want them with the part and kalkwasser will maintain them for you.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add just the alkalinity portion and manually dose the calcium daily

mic209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know somebody who did the ALK portion through her ATO and it worked out well. Just make sure you have consistent evaporation throughout the year with changing seasons. I tried using kalk in my ATO, i set it up in the fall and all was well. When summer came and my tank evaporated a lot more, my ALK sky rocketed and caused some problems with my corals. Never again.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know somebody who did the ALK portion through her ATO and it worked out well. Just make sure you have consistent evaporation throughout the year with changing seasons. I tried using kalk in my ATO, i set it up in the fall and all was well. When summer came and my tank evaporated a lot more, my ALK sky rocketed and caused some problems with my corals. Never again.

You could have just added less solid calcium hydroxide into the ATO. I used less than saturated limewater for many years because I did not need more.

mic209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have just added less solid calcium hydroxide into the ATO. I used less than saturated limewater for many years because I did not need more.

That would of worked, it just took me a while to put 2 and 2 together to finally realize that I was filling my ATO up more often. When I finally figured it out, I just stopped using kalk and went with 2 part and dosers.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back