Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question is for the King of 2 Part
@Randy Holmes-Farley
I'm nearing the end of my two jugs of alk and calcium. And after depleting a gallon of each you're suppose to dose magnesium. My question is, as I near the end of my jugs I tested my magnesium and it's still really high, upwards of 1500 (could not turn it blue with a salifert test kit) so when I deplete my jugs do I still dose the mag or leave it be since it's already elevated?

Crabs

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs, do nothing. Your salt mix is keeping your MAG were it needs to be....and then some. Actually, if MAG was needed, you don't wait to finish a gallon's worth of ALK and CALC....you add as needed. But again, in your case, it's not needed. Keep dosing and testing as needed.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also note that I have a total water volume of about 60 gallons between the display and the sump and I do 10% water changes weekly using Fritz Reef Pro Mix. Always meant to but have never tested the levels of my water before it goes into the display...perhaps I will this sunday.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs, do nothing. Your salt mix is keeping your MAG were it needs to be....and then some. Actually, if MAG was needed, you don't wait to finish a gallon's worth of ALK and CALC....you add as needed. But again, in your case, it's not needed. Keep dosing and testing as needed.
Thanks :) just wanted to make sure since bulk reef supply's instructions say to add 20 oz of the magnesium solution once both jugs of alk solution and calcium solution are depleted. And this is my first time dosing 2 part lol. Sounds like the fritz salt mix is keeping it up for me :D

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been curious about this too. I have not graduated to 2 part, I'm still good using Kalkwasser. But I just use IO RC, and my mag has been over 1600 (usually over 1700) every time I've tested it. I test usually monthly although I've been lazy lately and haven't tested since February. Thanks for asking Crabs!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question is for the King of 2 Part
@Randy Holmes-Farley
I'm nearing the end of my two jugs of alk and calcium. And after depleting a gallon of each you're suppose to dose magnesium. My question is, as I near the end of my jugs I tested my magnesium and it's still really high, upwards of 1500 (could not turn it blue with a salifert test kit) so when I deplete my jugs do I still dose the mag or leave it be since it's already elevated?

Crabs

The two part is designed to maintain magnesium wherever it is. Was it high at the start of those jugs?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks :) just wanted to make sure since bulk reef supply's instructions say to add 20 oz of the magnesium solution once both jugs of alk solution and calcium solution are depleted. And this is my first time dosing 2 part lol. Sounds like the fritz salt mix is keeping it up for me :D

Yes, that is the recipe I devised and there are reasons to do it beyond magnesium. The mag part provides all the sulfate to maintain the chloride to sulfate ratio. If magnesium starts excessively high due to a salt mix, is it better to keep magneisum high, or skew the chloride to sulfate ratio? I'm really not sure, but probably I wouldn't dose.

If you use a commercial two part, like B-ionic, you would have been adding the magnesium in the calcium part, and just didn't see it. It's curious that many folks worry about it with my 3 part, just because they can, where people using B-ionic don't seem to have such worries. :D

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is the recipe I devised and there are reasons to do it beyond magnesium. The mag part provides all the sulfate to maintain the chloride to sulfate ratio. If magnesium starts excessively high due to a salt mix, is it better to keep magneisum high, or skew the chloride to sulfate ratio? I'm really not sure, but probably I wouldn't dose.

If you use a commercial two part, like B-ionic, you would have been adding the magnesium in the calcium part, and just didn't see it. It's curious that many folks worry about it with my 3 part, just because they can, where people using B-ionic don't seem to have such worries. :D
Thank you Randy :)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 109 34.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back