2-part storage and mix calculation

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am preparing a to switch back to dosing from a calcium rx. In the past I would just make 1 gal at a time and make again when needed. This time around I was hoping to make up 5 gal at a time. Is there any issue with storage of the mixes?

Next question,
If making 5 gal, could you please confirm my mesurements?
Alk part: 10 cups Soda Ash with RODI added to 5 gal mark
Cal part: 10 cups Driveway Heat with RODI added to 5 Gal mark

Thank you in advance

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one issue with storing the calcium part....the presence of CO2 will cause for precipitation. If you could seal that five gallon container, you'd be better off. Alk is not an issue...good to go with long term storage.

Otherwise, your volume measurements are spot on!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would CO2 result in precipitation of the calcium part?

In general the stored solutions will likely last longer than the plastic they are in, although in the VERY long term, CO2 will enter the alk part, driving it back toward baking soda and hence reducing the solubility. But I doubt the rate that happens is measurable in a closed container.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John, as I gave your OP additional thought, I'd like to add this info (as I sit here on vacation sipping a Scotch on the rocks.)

B Ionic sells bulk two part in five gallon buckets with pour tops where you make up a total of four gallons of solution. I originally had these until the poor quality buckets B Ionic used cracked and dumped the calc part on my basement floor....for no reason other than poor quality buckets.....so yes, large volume storage works if sealed from the atmosphere. This failure of B Ionic is what drove me back to Randy's stuff.

IMG_4428.jpg

Be careful mixing ten cups of Preston Driveway Heat....the reaction is exothermic....it gives off heat...and that heat, if all is added at once, may melt a plastic bucket. Add the Driveway Heat slowly while mixing.

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would CO2 result in precipitation of the calcium part?

In general the stored solutions will likely last longer than the plastic they are in, although in the VERY long term, CO2 will enter the alk part, driving it back toward baking soda and hence reducing the solubility. But I doubt the rate that happens is measurable in a closed container.

@Randy Holmes-Farley , I never got a reply to my post HERE, but the CO2 was my guess. Am I off on this, and if so, what is causing my "open" container of calc to form a ppt while the sealed bottle is just fine?

OP
OP
jgraz

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I figure the solution would be used up within 3 months time so its pretty quick. Good to know though that it will not precipitate since my first though was to convert the buckets to dosing canisters anyway

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley , I never got a reply to my post HERE, but the CO2 was my guess. Am I off on this, and if so, what is causing my "open" container of calc to form a ppt while the sealed bottle is just fine?

Sorry, I missed that somehow. Here's what I wrote there:

FWIW, that process won't happen because if it produced HCl, the pH would be low enough to redissolve the calcium carbonate.

I'm not sure why it got cloudy, unless it accidently got some alk or magnesium sulfate solution into it.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back