OP
tanksoftwiddy

tanksoftwiddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You and me both. I’ll update in the next few days so hopefully we can both sleep at night. Lol Thanks again
So, update that doesn’t help anyone sleep at night. Removed kalk from ato and calcium plummeted. Still burning through 2 part, but the kalk was clearly helping boost calcium.

OP
OP
tanksoftwiddy

tanksoftwiddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, update that doesn’t help anyone sleep at night. Removed kalk from ato and calcium plummeted. Still burning through 2 part, but the kalk was clearly helping boost calcium.
Not sure if anyone cares, but thought I’d update incase someone else runs into this. Lol.
I added a reef Octo pulse 4 to my tank yesterday. It’s an awesome powerhead, btw, but my alk dose drops into the DT into the area of the Octo 4. My alk skyrocketed to 14.64 today and I have tested multiple ways. It seems that a ton of the alk I was dosing precipitated out before it could be distributed. So, my alk is crazy high but it’ll be consumed and hopefully this will solve the issue.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone cares, but thought I’d update incase someone else runs into this. Lol.
I added a reef Octo pulse 4 to my tank yesterday. It’s an awesome powerhead, btw, but my alk dose drops into the DT into the area of the Octo 4. My alk skyrocketed to 14.64 today and I have tested multiple ways. It seems that a ton of the alk I was dosing precipitated out before it could be distributed. So, my alk is crazy high but it’ll be consumed and hopefully this will solve the issue.

Thanks for the update. I would note there may be other reasons for the effect too.

More aeration by higher flow can lower pH in a tank in a home with elevated CO2, and so the demand by organisms may decline.

OP
OP
tanksoftwiddy

tanksoftwiddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. I would note there may be other reasons for the effect too.

More aeration by higher flow can lower pH in a tank in a home with elevated CO2, and so the demand by organisms may decline.
Thanks Randy. I am now back to alkalinity being used up extremely quickly so whatever event stopped it, has now ran its course. I may have to switch to a calcium reactor if I can’t get this under control. What’s your best source for large amounts of soda ash, or, I could supplement with all for reef through another doser?

OP
OP
tanksoftwiddy

tanksoftwiddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. I am now back to alkalinity being used up extremely quickly so whatever event stopped it, has now ran its course. I may have to switch to a calcium reactor if I can’t get this under control. What’s your best source for large amounts of soda ash, or, I could supplement with all for reef through another doser?
Forgot to mention (and it’s a big thing I forgot) I change my filter sock yesterday and it was hard as a rock. So I am definitely getting precipitate. Should I give up on the chase for high pH to reduce this?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention (and it’s a big thing I forgot) I change my filter sock yesterday and it was hard as a rock. So I am definitely getting precipitate. Should I give up on the chase for high pH to reduce this?

Higher pH is a big driver of precipitation.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 42.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back