2 week old tank

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did an extensive study over 2 years on cycling with bacteria in bottle. there is nothing wrong with adding fritz turbostart 900 and adding fish. That was through study done by me myself posted here under the thread name of Bacterian in bottle myth or fact.

Now me personal experience. I am in business of qtying fish. i bleach and cycle tanks in between orders. i pour fritz turbo start 900 and add fish and never lost one. Though i use 3-5 times the recommended dose.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did an extensive study over 2 years on cycling with bacteria in bottle. there is nothing wrong with adding fritz turbostart 900 and adding fish. That was through study done by me myself posted here under the thread name of Bacterian in bottle myth or fact.

Now me personal experience. I am in business of qtying fish. i bleacha nd cycle tanks in between orders. i pour fritz turbo start 900 and add fish and never lost one. Though i use 3-5 times the recommended dose.
Thank you for chiming in i was trying to find your study to link it. Thanks for putting in the man hours to prove this point. I know its not the way of old or a traditional way to cycle but it is a way and has been proven.

OP
OP
R

RockusDukakis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to send this as a PM - but might as well say it - Since I already gave my advice to the OP. 'cycling' a tank - is somewhat antiquated. Decades ago - there were no 'bacteria in a bottle'. There have been studies done elsewhere and here on R2R - which are fairly rigorous - that suggest it's fine to a degree. To this day - you can still get people suggesting - testing nitrite is important - others just as vigorously say it's not. etc etc - there are 10,000 protocols. If you asked 100 people here their actual definition of a cycle - you could get 50 different answers - and all would be correct.

I don't mean any offense to you - or @Lavey29 it is my opinion - this issue is not related to ammonia - or cycling - its related to not quarantining fish. Ammonia toxicity (which I have seen multiple times on shipped fish) - usually resolves within a day or 2 - And Again IMHO - does not look like this. This again - to ME - looks like disease. IMHO - that should be the focus - since at a minimum - the values (again assuming valid test kits) - are in range, and non-toxic.
As of right now he doesn't appear to be displaying signs of velvet or ich (IMO after watching videos, looking at photos and reading more). I'm hoping its just stress but I will keep monitoring tomorrow and await a response from the owner of my LFS.
At this point I can feel we have all made the original poster upset and will probably never ask a question again, just because our need to be right...... I'm sorry for my part in this and I'm done with R2
I'm not upset I just want an answer on what could be wrong. I really don't think this is a tank cycle problem but I do understand your point of view. There are many user on this forum who rather use any opportunity of a sick fish in a newer tank to blame the cycling process. Many users in this same thread didn't even bother reading what I typed out and the data I provided and jumped to conclusions (I'm not including you in that statement). I have think skin and I want to learn but I tend to lean towards those who want to have all the info before giving advise and ignore those who clearly have an agenda and aren't open to another POV (once again not you)

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for chiming in i was trying to find your study to link it. Thanks for putting in the man hours to prove this point. I know its not the way of old or a traditional way to cycle but it is a way and has been proven.
I'll be honest. i started the study because i didnt belive in bacteria sold in bottles but after testing and visiting most of the factories and then using it on daily basis in my business I have no doubt in using the bacteria and cycling the tank with it.
I'll link the study.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't add them at the same time. I added them at 6am on the day I added fish at 6pm. LFS and multiple experienced reefers said that would be okay.

I don’t have enough info to tell you what went wrong, but something did. The best takeaway from this is patience.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing disease, the ammonia spike probably an added stressor on a fish already comprimised.

Skipping disease prep on a new tank with fish from the LFS is the most pain in the butt experience tbh. Not worth. Then you have to turn around and go fallow for 45+ days and get to look at an empty tank even longer.

FYI I never add fish day 1 unless I have to (like an emergency). I am with the.. I take my time group. But mostly, it honestly takes time to get a healthy fish anyways... not those random fish the LFS has that day. You don't want those in a new tank. I have to QT or source some direct from breeder or so on. Or wait for LFS to order some ORA/Biota fish and get them IN THE BAG before they hit the LFS water.

OP
OP
R

RockusDukakis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now me personal experience. I am in business of qtying fish. i bleach and cycle tanks in between orders. i pour fritz turbo start 900 and add fish and never lost one. Though i use 3-5 times the recommended dose.
I cycled this way because of your amazing study and report. I 100% believe this is because I didn't QT.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks for posting this - and it was EXTREMELY extensive and rigorous:). As I recall. And - I meant to add this to one of my posts - I tend to add more fish (i.e. more than a pair of clowns) - to a new tank - and I also use more than the recommended dose:)

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this - and it was EXTREMELY extensive and rigorous:). As I recall. And - I meant to add this to one of my posts - I tend to add more fish (i.e. more than a pair of clowns) - to a new tank - and I also use more than the recommended dose:)
You were a great help in that study so thank you and also brandon. you guys helped and guided me conduct such a extensive study.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll be honest. i started the study because i didnt belive in bacteria sold in bottles but after testing and visiting most of the factories and then using it on daily basis in my business I have no doubt in using the bacteria and cycling the tank with it.
I'll link the study.

I believe we spent quite a few weeks tweeking the best way to do it - in the end - it came out somewhat unexpected - but extremely conclusive. Glad your new business is doing well!!

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled this way because of your amazing study and report. I 100% believe this is because I didn't QT.
I also belive it may be some disease. I notices the tail end of the clown to be a bit whitish color or faded color than rest of the body. if so then it might be a bacterial infection or maybe starting of brook.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You were a great help in that study so thank you and also brandon. you guys helped and guided the study to come out with such a extensive study.
I just wish more people would actually read it like i have and put in the time to do the research on it. It would help assist the new ways of cycling into light. I know its a long one but extensive should show that it was done properly and show that there is factual basis to cycling with bottle bac. I say if possible op reach out to dr. Reef and see what he would do in this situation and maybe get an idea of what you can and cant do at this point. I would say that someone that does this for a living would have a very reliable idea on if it works and what to do now....

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough, I had a fish accidently shipped at 1.006 (they forgot the RODI running on the shipping water container) so I had to set up a 1.009 tank on the spot and used biospira and it still worked. I didn't expect it to, but it did.

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is where I'm leaning.
There is nothing wrong with using antibiotics to start and if it ends up being brook then you will need to treat it with ruby reef rally.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always brag about getting to take a picture with you at aquashella '18

:)

Erin, this will change your focus on fish in cycling for future posts. If it doesn't, and you don't make your own study to keep saying what you're saying, well that's every internetter's right lol/ logic need not factor

Skipping disease preps is the real issue, and at a distant fourth place potentially acclimation at fault

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is where I'm leaning.

If the other clown becomes sick and perishes or you remove it to treat, turn the temp to 82 and no fish for minimum 45 days, sorry (this is if it is a disease such as velvet/brook (not bacterial)). This is to clear the tank of anything infectious.

If you replace the clowns, get some directly from a breeder like Biota or ORA. You can ask what day your LFS gets aqua cultured clowns in and should be able to arrange to pick them up IN THE BAG before they hit the LFS water and get mixed with other fish. Make sure they look lively and healthy in the bag.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and be sure not to float the bag in your tank if that bag has seen any sort of LFS water... like you get there and they are floating it to keep it correct temp. You don't want anything wet or recently wet of theirs near your tank. Remove the fish to some other container first.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 95 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 115 50.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.5%
Back