Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is some great looking rock!

I also like the macro cement. as you have alot of extra rock to work with dont be afraid to break up some shelf and rock and mortar them together to give you the look you are after.
I like different levels for coral placement.

good luck show us the ruff draft of what you two come up with.

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow progress this week - wife and I are both busy with work.

I removed the two baffles separating Compartment 1 (Overflow) from Compartment 2 (filter socks) and Compartment 2 from Compartment 3.

I did this to make room for the Macro Reactor, you actually can fit the Clarisea perfectly fine with just the single cut to remove the baffle between the first two compartments and the filter sock holder but I couldn't fit the reactor and the skimmer in Compartment 3 together.

I basically have large first compartment now. I figured this would be okay since all of the overflow will be routed through the Clarisea first before flowing into that larger compartment where all three machines are now sitting.

It's a tight fit but the are all snugly in place and I tested that I could remove the skimmer cup, the reactor chamber, and that I can service the filter roller.

Here's a quick photo:

IMG_20200424_220144.jpg

One note - wear gardening gloves when you cut the baffles out. I had one shatter on me when I was yanking it and was grateful I had the gloves on. I used a thin X-Acto blade to run along the silicon to separate it.

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started fitting the plumbing manifold together.

The measurements that the pipes claim to be are a lie. They are not 1" and they DO NOT seat within 1" US PVC piping even though they say that on the piping.

@Kuub where the overflow comes down what parts did you order to screw into those pieces so that you could fit them into 1"PVC? Also - did you cap the other overflow pipe, if so what part did you use?

1587792293466.png

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kuub I see what I did, I ordered unions and not transition unions. That's what you get for trying to figure out plumbing at 1:30am...

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kuub I see what I did, I ordered unions and not transition unions. That's what you get for trying to figure out plumbing at 1:30am...
Don’t worry, I made a few of those. Hence why I have $300 of extra plumbing parts around. Also, I had not completed the other drain line in that pic. I have two side by side. I was waiting for the piece from Pro Clear at that point.

You would think a nice hazy IPA would do wonders for plumbing skills and thinking. Not so much!

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t worry, I made a few of those. Hence why I have $300 of extra plumbing parts around. Also, I had not completed the other drain line in that pic. I have two side by side. I was waiting for the piece from Pro Clear at that point.

You would think a nice hazy IPA would do wonders for plumbing skills and thinking. Not so much!

Let me know if you can’t find the transition unions. There are a couple places but some have minimum orders

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow progress this week - wife and I are both busy with work.

I removed the two baffles separating Compartment 1 (Overflow) from Compartment 2 (filter socks) and Compartment 2 from Compartment 3.

I did this to make room for the Macro Reactor, you actually can fit the Clarisea perfectly fine with just the single cut to remove the baffle between the first two compartments and the filter sock holder but I couldn't fit the reactor and the skimmer in Compartment 3 together.

I basically have large first compartment now. I figured this would be okay since all of the overflow will be routed through the Clarisea first before flowing into that larger compartment where all three machines are now sitting.

It's a tight fit but the are all snugly in place and I tested that I could remove the skimmer cup, the reactor chamber, and that I can service the filter roller.

Here's a quick photo:

IMG_20200424_220144.jpg

One note - wear gardening gloves when you cut the baffles out. I had one shatter on me when I was yanking it and was grateful I had the gloves on. I used a thin X-Acto blade to run along the silicon to separate it.

that is some good looking gear! it's all clean and sexy.... before all the nasty kick in..haha

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay - this is going to be a super unpopular opinion.

I HATE the Emarco Cement. It didn't partially set after 2.5 hours and i just went to move two pieces and the cement was crumbly sand garbage at the connection points and hard as hell at any non-connection points. So now I have a bunch of hard cement chunks covering the rock and no rock glued together.

0/5 would not use again. I followed the directions to a T - added 12 oz of water to the poly-liquid bag and then mixed to a thick consistency.

I'm just going to drill all of the rocks and use acrylic rods and chuck this stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp, looks like I am going to have to order parts from ProClear. The 3/4 manifold isn't long enough to saw and then seat inside the transition union.

@Kuub when you glued the manifold into the transition unions was it incredibly hard to push in? I'm struggling with all my strength to even push the 32mm manifolds 1/2 of the way into the transition union socket. I was wondering if I should have just screwed their preglued manifolds into the new transition unions I bought.

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp, looks like I am going to have to order parts from ProClear. The 3/4 manifold isn't long enough to saw and then seat inside the transition union.

@Kuub when you glued the manifold into the transition unions was it incredibly hard to push in? I'm struggling with all my strength to even push the 32mm manifolds 1/2 of the way into the transition union socket. I was wondering if I should have just screwed their preglued manifolds into the new transition unions I bought.

Not sure on your 3/4 manifold comment. I had plenty of room to cut. Here is a closer up picture.

IMG_0496.jpg

The fit was tight with the pipes. I sanded them down a little to get the old glue off, but once I put the new PVC cement on them, the slid in pretty easily. I had to use more strength than a typical joint but they will go in with the cement.

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might just be the one we received, but there was only about 1in worth of neck that was exposed and I used a PVC cutter instead of a hacksaw, which resulted in me losing about another 1/2in due to operator error. Whoops!

Just spoke with Jessie over at ProClear - super great customer servivce - he's sending me 2 of the 32mm manifolds since they are out of the 25mm and then i will just reduce down to 3/4in at some point in the line.

Last edited:

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might just be the one we received, but there was only about 1in worth of neck that was exposed and I used a PVC cutter instead of a hacksaw, which resulted in me losing about another 1/2in due to operator error. Whoops!

Just spoke with Jessie over at ProClear - super great customer servivce - he's sending me 2 of the 32mm manifolds since they are out of the 25mm and then i will just reduce down to 3/4in at some point in the line.

I used a Sawzall on mine so I was able to cut it pretty close. Left me about 3 inches or so.

I ended up doing the same with the 32mm, mine are all 1 inch lines now.

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife finished the aquascape.

IMG_20200503_155344.jpg

I have the plumbing mostly done as well - waiting on a final piece from ProClear. Will take a photo when that's all complete, I read a bunch of reviews on the Clarisea being easier to handle and maintenance with soft plumbing so I'm going that route with it. I also threw a gate valve on the second overflow drain and will let that trickle at 90% closed.

Hopefully well get this wet and cycling by next weekend once final parts come.

@Big C, @Kuub are you guys running Carbon Reactors? Considering if I should pick one up.

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m adding one this week. I tried putting it in a bag in a filter cup and just wasn’t happy with it. Will be fed off the manifold.

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys have any fishie recommendations or where to get them? We're ordering the first set of practical fishies this weekend and starting their 45 day quarantine.

Also - any thoughts on Live Sand tap water rinse to reduce cloudiness? I think we might give it a shot... Results are very evident.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get most of my fish from LFS. That way I get to inspect and have them hold them a week. Just ordered CUC online.

Never done live sand. I just glad I rinsed my stuff prior to using it. Mine was typical non live, rinse with tap and a final rinse with RODI.

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never rinsed sand. Cloudiness clears in a few days. For live orders, I have used Algae Barn and Live Aquaria for fish. Happy with both.

cant go wrong with a pair of clowns to start with!

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will post some updates tonight.

Tank is cycling since Saturday using MicroBacter Start XLM. It appears that they don't want to have you use filter socks or rollers during this process, so the Clarisea is plumbed but not in the sump quite yet. They also don't want Live Sand used - so waiting until cycle is complete then going to rinse the live sand and introduce.

We also picked up some fishies from our LFS and have them in the quarantine tank for the next 45 days.

Electrical is about 80% of the way there, have a bit more chord management to do and then need to finish out some Apex programming.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back