How a rescued turtle turned into a Proclear ProStar 200.

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

On Christmas Eve 2019, I went to clean the pool and in the skimmer was a 1.5 inch turtle that was barely moving. I don't know how long she had been there, but she didn't look good. It was cold for Myrtle Beach, mid 40s, so we (Me and my two daughters) brought her inside to warm up while deciding what to do with her. Long story short and $250 later we had a full 20g long terrarium to nurse her, Eve, back to health. My daughters were hooked and so was I. I remembered I had a 50g acrylic tank in the attic from years prior when I had a planted tank set up. We transferred her to the new tank and added a few fish to keep her company.

Here she is:
Eve.jpg

And here she is with her furry friends, Chief and Stout:
Turtle Tank.jpg

So where does that leave us now? The itch came back. I couldn't stay away. I tried to use this forum to keep the itch at bay but I had to have another reef tank. For history purposes, I have kept fish/turtles/aquatic life for as long as I can remember and over the last 20 years have had 4 different reef tanks. A 29g, a 125g long and a 75 gallon reef tank. It has been 12 years since I last completed a reef tank. I documented it on another reef site. (Which I am sure most are aware of that forum but not sure if linking to another forum is ok? Just search Misfitkris Average Joe Build and you can see that one if interested) I have always enjoyed watching life come from seemingly no where and the challenges that lie with it. My wife has always been supportive of it and so it was of little surprise when I said to her, " I think I want to start up another reef tank" Her response was, " I knew it was only a matter of time when I saw the joy of your setting up the turtle tank with the girls." Well, that's what I heard any way.........

So then began the furious forum reading and research. My goodness the hobby had changed. No more rock from Fiji? No more metal halides? LED discussions 12 years ago was like voodoo magic. Apex Neptune? What is this? But it didn't discourage me. It was more to learn, more to experiment with and more fun to be had.

I made my list and showed it to the wife. There was quite a shock. But she said,"I really miss watching that tank" Again, that's what I heard.......

We settled on a ProStar 200 Rimless (New Model). We placed the order from Aquatic Sealife and waited.

And in the meantime, we put the UPS guy to work.
UPS guy.PNG

More to come.

Kris

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I had 2 red ear sliders for many many years, when they got too big for a 75g, I eneded up with a 150g rubbermade stock tank in the basement where I built a deck around the top so they could use the entire 150g to swim and then had a sun basking area above. It ended up being pretty sweet until we relocated them outside.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post! Enjoyed the read and following for more;)

I think I remember your build from back then. I'll have to look it up to see if it's the one I remember or not.

Happy reefing:)

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, lucky little turtle. Can’t wait to see this reef take shape.

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the UPS guy dropped off some goodies sometime near the beginning of February:
IMG_0270.jpg

So much stuff to play with but no tank yet.

Tank and equipment list time:

Tank: ProStar Rimless 220 New Model (61*26*24, 162 gallons) Sump and Stand included (Big thanks to @Big C and Reefbuilders for their insight on these. I learned a ton from Big C's thread and the Reefbuilders video) They actually sold me on this.

Equipment:
Lighting: 2 Ecotech XR30W lights with mounts
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Regal 150-INT
Full Apex Control System Dream Bundle: This includes main unit, 2x energy bar, Leak Detection Kit, Flow monitoring, Display unit, and magentic probe holder. I also added the ATO kit and the DOS.
Return Pump: Neptune COR 20 since I was already in that enviroment.
Wavemakers: 2 MP40QWD
RODI: BRS 4 Stage Value which I have already upgraded to add a few things to. (TDS, Pressure Gauge, extra DI, extra Chloramine block)
Heaters: 2 500W Finnex Titanium heaters which I plan to use Apex to control.

I also ordered a ton of plumbing, misc supplies and parts for my water change station.

At the same time, I was informed the tank would be delayed about 30 days due to good ol' Covid-19. I've quarantined fish before, but now do I have to quarantine the tank!? :p

So with the delay, I decided to work on other things.....

More to come.

Kris

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those other things being.......hooking up the water change station.

This was a fun conversation with the Honey. Explaining I was about to drop $500 on some plumbing and water containers to store water in the garage. But I quickly reminded her of how exciting it was to have 2 55 gallon brutes as decoration in the living room with the old 75g. I had her full attention at that point. Once I explained how I would be hooking it up and it would be somewhat out of sight out of mind. She was all in....again...that's what I heard anyway.

So I have a garage right next to my laundry room and the original plan was to hook up the RODI unit in the garage right next to the storage containers and then run the waste and supply lines back to the laundry sink (which I still had not installed in the 5 years we had been living in the house) I definitely correctly heard her reminding me of that.

So the parts came:
Plumbing Parts.jpg

And I got to work! Of course I had to make the obligatory 3 trips to Lowe's because guys don't make lists and we forget stuff. But because of this, I found an upgrade to the laundry sink and decided to change the design. Wife was happy with the upgraded sink.

Here is the unit installed:
RODI Station.jpg

And here are a few shots of the water station build:

Testing the fittings:
Mixing Station Test Position.jpg

Stand painted, one more test fitting:
Mixing Station  Test 2.jpg

Final Resting place (Thanks to my honey for making me labels on her Cricut!!):
RODI Final.jpg

And line back to RODI (I used black tubing because I didn't want to use the blue!):
RODI Line to Mixing Station.jpg

Yeah, my doors and walls are dirty. Sorry! It's a garage! And I have kids and dogs that like to use everything other than the door knob to get into the house.

Kris

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last Friday, the tank finally arrived. In great shape I might add. Only a couple small blemishes on the back of the tank in the black "painted" portion. See pictures below:
Tank Delivery 1.jpg

Tank Delivery 2.jpg

Tank Delivery 3.jpg

4 Dudes and a couple of beers later here is the final resting place:

Tank Final Spot.jpg

Bottom open to see sump area:
Tank Stand Opened.jpg

Overall, I am happy with the tank.

A few things to note:

1. The plumbing is going to be a nightmare. Aquatic Sealife states on their website this is standard plumbing 3/4" and 1". It's not. I had to order conversion parts for this. Be aware of this if you are looking to upgrade the plumbing. I did leak test it with plumbing that came with it and it works fine. Just not what I want to do with it.

2. Drains are not changeable without removing overflow box due to bulkheads being silicon-ed in place and all fittings glued. The drains aren't too loud but they are far from silent.

3. Sump is of a weird design. I didn't get a good picture of it. I will later. And pictures will explain it better. Maybe someone else has an idea how to use better than they designed it.

This weekend I will work on the manifolds and finishing the plumbing.

I will also post on the plan as far as sand and rock.

Thanks for reading.

Kris

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last Friday, the tank finally arrived. In great shape I might add. Only a couple small blemishes on the back of the tank in the black "painted" portion. See pictures below:
Tank Delivery 1.jpg

Tank Delivery 2.jpg

Tank Delivery 3.jpg

4 Dudes and a couple of beers later here is the final resting place:

Tank Final Spot.jpg

Bottom open to see sump area:
Tank Stand Opened.jpg

Overall, I am happy with the tank.

A few things to note:

1. The plumbing is going to be a nightmare. Aquatic Sealife states on their website this is standard plumbing 3/4" and 1". It's not. I had to order conversion parts for this. Be aware of this if you are looking to upgrade the plumbing. I did leak test it with plumbing that came with it and it works fine. Just not what I want to do with it.

2. Drains are not changeable without removing overflow box due to bulkheads being silicon-ed in place and all fittings glued. The drains aren't too loud but they are far from silent.

3. Sump is of a weird design. I didn't get a good picture of it. I will later. And pictures will explain it better. Maybe someone else has an idea how to use better than they designed it.

This weekend I will work on the manifolds and finishing the plumbing.

I will also post on the plan as far as sand and rock.

Thanks for reading.

Kris

Agree with all your comments. Still trying to tune my drains.

It looks like they changed the sump a bit, only 3 filter socks? I do like mine but don’t run a fug so plenty of room for equipment only.

I wish I went with the 150 as well, 200 oversized and running it really low.

Keep the updates coming!

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all your comments. Still trying to tune my drains.

It looks like they changed the sump a bit, only 3 filter socks? I do like mine but don’t run a fug so plenty of room for equipment only.

I wish I went with the 150 as well, 200 oversized and running it really low.

Keep the updates coming!

Yes, only 3 socks. Doesn’t bother me. Aquatic Sealife offered to send a kit for 4 inch standard socks and took them up on it. Will see if they deliver on their word.

I debated the 150 for a while. But ultimately said I could upgrade later if needed.

17B85723-9541-4A97-A3A3-9CEF01614332.jpeg

There is the funky sump set up. This just the right side. Left side makes sense. But that back part? Small section with egg crate on bottom (Not in this picture) and it came plumbed with return pump in front section. The baffle between back and front right portion allows water underneath so not sure how one or other could be used for Fuge? Just seems weird to me.

I did steal a few of your ideas. Used the glass suction cups to move and the lighting for underneath you used is just perfect.

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! keep the updates coming i was looking at this tank as well.
do you like the stand?
Stand seems solid. The adjustable feet make this great. If you want to change sumps, it will be a bear in the future. Plenty of room. Height is ample. I like the white glass on the outside. Nice clean look. Definitely check out @Big C ’s build for the lights. Perfect amount of low profile and affordable light underneath.

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I had 2 red ear sliders for many many years, when they got too big for a 75g, I eneded up with a 150g rubbermade stock tank in the basement where I built a deck around the top so they could use the entire 150g to swim and then had a sun basking area above. It ended up being pretty sweet until we relocated them outside.

I’ve never had turtles in captivity that long. Usually I have rescued from side of road or in this case pool. Usually keep them for a while and return back to wild. We have a large pond in backyard full of them. He will probably be back with his momma sooner or later. But that set up sounds amazing for a turtle. Who knows, maybe I’ll try a pond set up in back yard of his own!

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post! Enjoyed the read and following for more;)

I think I remember your build from back then. I'll have to look it up to see if it's the one I remember or not.

Happy reefing:)

That’s a great memory then! I forgot I even posted it until my wife reminded me!

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So spent the weekend working on my social distancing....which meant more time for my tank. Finished the plumbing minus a part I am waiting on from ProClear to finish one drain line.
IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

Plumbing Drains.jpg

I also completed most of the Electronics board. Have to finish some wire clean up.

Component Cluster Test.jpg

Component Cluster Build 1.jpg

Component Cluster 3.jpg

Component Cluster 2.jpg

Component Cluster.jpg

Should begin filling the tank on Tuesday evening.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few questions:

1) How are you plumbing the drains? I noticed you had one plumbed with a valve and how do you plan to use it (also a valve on each drain)? I had this thought but would need to modify the drains in the overflow box.
2) Where did you get your pump inlet screen?
3) Does it have only one return? I had a heck of a time trying to hard plumb the two returns and ended with some soft tubing.

Plumbing control board looks great!

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few questions:

1) How are you plumbing the drains? I noticed you had one plumbed with a valve and how do you plan to use it (also a valve on each drain)? I had this thought but would need to modify the drains in the overflow box.
2) Where did you get your pump inlet screen?
3) Does it have only one return? I had a heck of a time trying to hard plumb the two returns and ended with some soft tubing.

Plumbing control board looks great!

1. In the second picture, I have where I showed two drains with a gate on each one. This is the plan. I am not gluing these connections as of yet. I may very well just go back to the standard fittings. I am not modifying the overflow at all. My idea, albeit probably a dumb one, is to slow the flow of the drains to prevent the soft toilet drain sound. The return pump area is so small and the way the sump is designed, I should be able to run the return section dry and not overflow the tank if the drains back up for any reason. I am going to run several tests during the cycle to test in action. My hope is the shut off on the pump would come on if it ran dry. I am really just playing with it at this point. None of this might work. But as you know, the silicon-ed drains are a PITA!
2. I found the return pump inlet screen at BRS. 3d Printed inlet screen

3. Only one return which tees at top of overflow. 3/4" in overflow box, but I modified to be 1" return to the bulkhead and reduced from there. So not counting on a ton of flow from return pump. Probably will end up adding a couple more MP40s for flow.

Thank you on the plumbing control board! This site is great for ideas!

Forgot to post a FTS for now.

Pre fill up shot.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 44 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%
Back