How a rescued turtle turned into a Proclear ProStar 200.

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kris,

Where did you order your water containers and plumbing from? Wife is getting on me to get rid of our brutes. Our 200 Prostar 2 just arrived Thursday so going to be kicking up a build thread.

Now that you've had for a month what would you differently in the setup and what is working well?

Cheers,
Geoff

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kuub I'm thinking I need to replumb this whole thing like you did, do you have a list of the fittings and parts that you ordered?

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kris,

Where did you order your water containers and plumbing from? Wife is getting on me to get rid of our brutes. Our 200 Prostar 2 just arrived Thursday so going to be kicking up a build thread.

Now that you've had for a month what would you differently in the setup and what is working well?

Cheers,
Geoff

Hey Geoff,

I ordered the tanks from here.

I didn't have any place close to go pick them up, so I paid a hefty price in shipping. Pro Tip: Have them shipped to a commercial address and save some money.

I ordered the plumbing for the tank from BRS and pvcpipesupplies.com. Pricing is pretty close between the two.

For the returns and drains, I cut off the unions that came glued and replaced them with these:

I had an issue with the 3/4 inch return bulkhead attachment piece and had to get a new one sent by Pro Clear. I just had them send me a 1 inch one so that I could have the return 1 inch up until it goes to bulkhead. I wanted to have the manifold out of 1 inch and the Neptune Flow meter was 1 inch was well.

Heads up on pvcpipesupplies.com, they have a minimum order of $100.

As far as a list of supplies...ha. That's a funny story. I probably have over $300 in leftover unions, valves, fittings and pipe leftover from this job. I couldn't make my mind up and ordered a ton of everything. Once you get those unions attached to that proprietary metric piece that comes with the tank, it's pretty much up to you how you want to do it. Let me know if you need pictures of anything specific.

As far as what I would have done different, do or don't like, etc. The ATO that came with the tank was the first to go. I had the ATK from Neptune already and bought this ATO Reservoir to put in a cabinet I made next to the tank. The 2.5 gallon one that came with it was not only awkward, but not nearly enough for a week. Here are pics of it (Sorry, its a little messy right now):

Front of cabinet

IMG_0477.jpg

Top down, removable top to refill:

top down.jpg

I don't think there is anything else I would change. System is still pretty new. The gate valves on the drain lines are key to quieting the drains down.

Oh and I wish I would have ordered a Trident when they were available.

That's about it. Let me know when you get your build ready. I'll follow along.

Kris

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Geoff,

I ordered the tanks from here.

I didn't have any place close to go pick them up, so I paid a hefty price in shipping. Pro Tip: Have them shipped to a commercial address and save some money.

I ordered the plumbing for the tank from BRS and pvcpipesupplies.com. Pricing is pretty close between the two.

For the returns and drains, I cut off the unions that came glued and replaced them with these:

I had an issue with the 3/4 inch return bulkhead attachment piece and had to get a new one sent by Pro Clear. I just had them send me a 1 inch one so that I could have the return 1 inch up until it goes to bulkhead. I wanted to have the manifold out of 1 inch and the Neptune Flow meter was 1 inch was well.

Heads up on pvcpipesupplies.com, they have a minimum order of $100.

As far as a list of supplies...ha. That's a funny story. I probably have over $300 in leftover unions, valves, fittings and pipe leftover from this job. I couldn't make my mind up and ordered a ton of everything. Once you get those unions attached to that proprietary metric piece that comes with the tank, it's pretty much up to you how you want to do it. Let me know if you need pictures of anything specific.

As far as what I would have done different, do or don't like, etc. The ATO that came with the tank was the first to go. I had the ATK from Neptune already and bought this ATO Reservoir to put in a cabinet I made next to the tank. The 2.5 gallon one that came with it was not only awkward, but not nearly enough for a week. Here are pics of it (Sorry, its a little messy right now):

Front of cabinet

IMG_0477.jpg

Top down, removable top to refill:

top down.jpg

I don't think there is anything else I would change. System is still pretty new. The gate valves on the drain lines are key to quieting the drains down.

Oh and I wish I would have ordered a Trident when they were available.

That's about it. Let me know when you get your build ready. I'll follow along.

Kris

Just want to clarify on the drains. You added a gate valve for each and then tuned them (pinch them back) to reduce noise. No modifications in the overflow box.

With two drains there should be plenty of capacity but any thoughts or precautions if they backup for some reason? I really want to do this but but afraid of overflowing the display. Not applicable on this setup but had an issue on an old tank with a hang on overflow box (different design I know).

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would update with some picture and what not. I have stocked a good bit over the past couple of weeks.

Ordered from four different places so far, happy with all of them.
AquariumDepot.com - Corals, inverts and pods
ReefCleaners.org - Inverts, pods and a couple Ricordia
Liveaquaria.com - Fish and inverts
algaebarn.com - Fish, inverts and pods

Stocking list so far:

Fish:
2 ORA Oscellaris Clowns
1 Bicolor Blenny
1 Biota Coral Beauty
1 Biota Court Jester Goby

Inverts:
Assorted amounts of Cerith (~30), Nassarius (~10) and Turbo Snails 5.
2 Fighting Conchs
3 Emerald Crabs
10 Misc Hermits
1 Halloween Hermit
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Small Brittle Starfish
1 Hitchhiker Sea Urchin.....thought for sure it would die as it was basically crushed in box. It has grown back every spine.

Corals (I'm not big on fancy names, If it looks good, I'll buy it.)
Assorted Zoas x 6
A few Montis
A couple small sticks of SPS
All three hitchhiker corals still....no id on them yet. Pretty sure the one pictured below is an open brain. It's tripled in size and colored up nicely.

All parameters still excellent. Some hair algae as you can see in pics, but Coraline algae is starting to show spots on rocks.

Some Zoas (I'm pretty sure some have super hero titles and other pop culture references as a naming convention, to me they are Blue or Green or Orange. :p)

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0479 (1).jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

The Hitchiking Open Brain Coral:

IMG_0470.jpg

The thought to be dead Sea Urchin:
IMG_0465.jpg

$9.99 Ricordia from Reef Cleaners that's blue under white light and fluorescent Orange under Blue light:

IMG_0467.jpg

Here is a look down the tank, I love the way the macro is thriving in the tank. It's awesome watching it sway in the waves:

IMG_0481.jpg

Full Tank shot:

IMG_0482.jpg

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to clarify on the drains. You added a gate valve for each and then tuned them (pinch them back) to reduce noise. No modifications in the overflow box.

With two drains there should be plenty of capacity but any thoughts or precautions if they backup for some reason? I really want to do this but but afraid of overflowing the display. Not applicable on this setup but had an issue on an old tank with a hang on overflow box (different design I know).

Yeah, key is "reduce" noise. I don't have them pinched back for full siphon. Just enough to reduce sound quite a bit. I run sump low enough to where if drain was to back up, it can only pump so much water up top and it won't overflow top. Auto shut off would kick in on pump because of it running dry. And I also have extra protection of 2 Leak Detectors through Apex as well that shut off return pump in case of spills in cabinet and floor. No modifications in overflow.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it and your avatar. Are you from michigan?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Go Blue! Originally from there, I have been down south for quite some time now. Was born in St. Joe.
Absolutely go blue. Originally from kazoo

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ordered some live rock today from Live Rock and Reef. 25lbs of Primo Picked Deco Special from Florida and 15 lbs of the “Walt Smith” from recently opened Fiji. The Primo is packed with Macro Algae, and looked really fresh from ocean. Fiji Walt Smith was devoid of life but really nice coloration. Overall, I am satisfied as these were tests. Just to see what’s out there. They were both sent with wet paper and not in water. There was a Sea Urchin on Florida rock. Not going to make it. Haven’t seen any other creatures.

Here are pics.

“Walt Smith Fiji”
C00FD716-B3B9-4957-AD7E-641EC8FA819F.png

2914E434-CE5B-467A-9EC6-EC54221D2FF4.png
DE99D12A-2FE6-4E53-BA6D-7BC69D0BC793.png

and shots in the tank:
E987BA72-7223-4B5E-A623-FC7227B6953E.jpeg

95892D24-79EE-4F13-8947-DA2B84C2D067.jpeg

Here is the Primo Deco rock:
5C94964B-6D16-41D1-B311-632218155DBF.jpeg

and shots in the tank.
242211CE-FB83-4D3A-B20A-9D0967CDE973.jpeg

4A3754AE-8E0F-495F-A4F6-958F666491B8.jpeg
B9063880-15C1-48FE-9D86-6B5B5B49F030.jpeg

How do you like your live rock so far? All my softies and most LPS are doing fine in my tank but had some SPS die off (after I had a few test SPS do well for a month). Looking to get some bio diversity but been working hard at keeping bad stuff out (miss that boat with a ulva breakout).

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like your live rock so far? All my softies and most LPS are doing fine in my tank but had some SPS die off (after I had a few test SPS do well for a month). Looking to get some bio diversity but been working hard at keeping bad stuff out (miss that boat with a ulva breakout).
I love the Primo Rock. The Fiji is in my sump sans one piece that I like the shape of. Macro is all still alive. It’s a mixture of Caluerpa, sea lettuce and some other kind I haven’t identified. I have been trimming and moving some to the fuge section of sump. I added a Kessil A80 last week. (Prob should update this thread. I have pods galore, but I also have seeded some from Algae Barn and Reef Cleaners. Lots of Peanut worms, bristleworms, spaghetti worms, feather dusters, bivalves (large three inch ones!), the few corals (Brains, Cup and Gorgonians) I referenced in this thread. As far as bad hitchhikers I have found and eradicated 3 Aiptasia. Bound to be more. One thing I have learned in this hobby, you are always going to get them. Just manage them. Found one nudibranch, not sure if good or bad but took it out anyway. More life shows up everyday. I would order again in a heart beat.
I have 6 SPS frags in tank. Superman Monti, Green Branching Monti, Red Cap Monti, Pink/Green Acro, Green Slimer and a another Green Fuzzy Acro (Can’t remember name) All are doing fine, not thriving, but a couple show some growth but low PE. They were all cheap and will provide varying signs of my tank being ready for next level. I have lost one Euphylia to BJD. Overnight almost. I have never witnessed that before, 18 hours, a 2 head hammer melted into brown stringy goo. I hated that. I have plenty of Zoas and Ric’S all doing great. I think Real Live Rock always speeds things up a bit, with risk of course. Worth it to me though.
Down side to live rock is always in aqua scaping.

Fish are all great. Added a Yellow Tang from my kids for my birthday. BIOTA of course!

Set up my DOS, DDR and Trident last weekend. It’s coming along.

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would give an update with some FTS shots and some new arrivals. Not much has changed in the tank as I have been busy with work and I have been striving for stability. Not many additions other than some anthias and a blue chin trigger. Some random zoas, ricordeas, montis, a toadstool, RF Anemone and inverts. I lost one anthias and the trigger to jumping. Sad days. All other fish from beginning still in tank. I have been a little gun shy to order fish due to the jumping. I ordered a screen top but haven't put it together yet. I really don't want to. I love the open look.

The Good:

Court Jester/Rainsford Goby is a fat pig.
Yellow Tang ]was 1" when we got him, he's 5" now. But he is a spaz.
Coral Beauty is a constant eater......and pooper. She is about 3inches now.
Bi Color Blenny is doing well. He is quite reclusive to his hidey holes but comes out to eat.
The Clowns have developed into male and female. But they are strange, the host in the back corner to the right of the overflow.
Lyretail Anthias were a trio, one female jumped. The male is a voracious eater and is quite abusive to the female. I think I will need to order a few more.
Zoanthids have gone mad which you can see in the shot below.
Monti's are doing well.
SPS frags (for the most part) are starting to take off now. So I ordered some more below.
Hitchhiker Gorgonians are thriving.
Hitchhiker Brain is quadruple in size and has really colored up.
Hitchhiker Urchin came in and thought for sure was dead. He is 4 inches in diameter and is the best part of my algae clean up crew.
I added a second round of clean up crew of various snails and hermits from ReefCleaners.
Also added a pincushion urchin as well, this one likes to drag everything around. From Empty shells, hermits and frags! Would probably not order again, although it is quite comical the size of shells and frags it will drag around. It eats as well as the hitchhiker. So its a balance.

The Bad:

Suicidal fish

I had a two week issue with something. Not sure what it was. Had STN happen to a Turbinaria, a Green Slimer and a Robokaki. Did an ICP test to check water, only thing came back was slightly low iodide and mag (1250). Only recommendations from them. I didn't make any adjustments, just made a water change, cut a few arms from the slimer and they seem to be trying to make a comeback. The Pink/Green Acropora, Green Millie, Montis were not affected. So I am not sure what happened. Didn't fully lose anything. But scary for sure.

Small issue with Green Cyano in areas of tank with lower flow.

Hair algae is in a few places, but seems to be managed by CUC.

Just added a ORA® Aquacultured Assorted Micronesian Summer SPS Coral Frag 5 Pack, 1 Pink Birds Nest and 1 Hyacinth Birds Nest from Liveaquaria.com. We shall see how they do.

Here are some pics to enjoy.

IMG_0863.jpg

63164463130__2F5926A8-0B9A-442F-B483-F322B5D9E1D1.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg
IMG_0864.jpg

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its April 2022 and no updates. Hows the turtle? Do your daughters help?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you put your heaters? I am setting up a prostar 200 v2 but having trouble finding heaters to fit in the sump.
It may be a bit before he responds. Last logged in was 25 Jan 2022

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We let the turtle go in the back pond. The girls swear they see him. But there are 100 turtles there that get fed by the whole neighborhood. I’m a good sport and tell them they are right! Girls do not help with the tank! It’s too yucky for them!

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We let the turtle go in the back pond. The girls swear they see him. But there are 100 turtles there that get fed by the whole neighborhood. I’m a good sport and tell them they are right! Girls do not help with the tank! It’s too yucky for them!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 24.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back