20K LED For Frag Swaps

Bombertech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a full spectrum led fixture and start swapping whites out for 440nm leds. It's super easy to do if you have a soldering iron. I found a 20k look when I was down to about 8 whites and the rest mixed blue and colored leds. Would get closer to 14k at 100% both channels and 20k at 100/60%

He's right you know!

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at build my led. I have their actinic strip and the pop is incredible (405,450 & 470). They now have a three channel controller so you could have them custom make it with UV , BLue and white.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue LED only is not '20k', please get that out of your head. The following picture is what a '20K' light looks like.

lighting_metal_halide_radium_20000K.jpg

The Force is strong with this one! He is correct as the "20K" spectrum is easily reproduced by the Radium MH and a good ballast. Blue LEDs are not and never will be a perfect 20K look. The terminology doesn't really translate well into the LED world.

If what you want is a hyper-blue light to increase the fluorescence of corals then ANY LED fixture will work with enough blues in the royal blue spectrums. You can probably have a chat with the guys at Reef LED Lights or Rapid LED to get a great DIY setup with the LEDs customized to exactly what you are looking for. Personally I would stick with your "16K" lights as they will show off the colors and not wash out the other life in the tank.

Bombertech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referring to the "actinic" strip with no actinic... (Violet 420-435). I guess it's too much to ask of manufacturers to raise the bar and exceed the level of spectral development that T5/MH providers spent a lot of time perfecting.

There are a couple okay ones though. I usually try to stay out of LED debates so that's my 2 cents for today.

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a normal light I can see it but for a frag swap or for my purpose which is just visual.. their actinic strip pumps up the wow.

Bombertech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough! In the general scheme of things, you just lose some violet/purple pigments. Hard to say if it would have enough effect to make/break a sale...

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Swaps I would go with the following

15 Cree XT-E Royal Blue Binned at 450-455nm at 1000mA
10-20 Semi Hyperviolet 420nm at 700mA
And for the Colour Temp 10-20K 10-15 Cree XT-E Cool White Binned at 7.5K at 1000mA

With the Whites dimmed down to a couple % you will have amazing colour pop with average corals glowing. With the whites turned up you will have about a 12-15K look.

If your selling zoas and acans a few Reds help the looks.

Bill

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back