300DD flow suggestions

AquaCox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, looking for some suggestions, opinions, what would you do help... I've got a new 300DD set up, its just cycling.
Only thing i have in it right now for flow is a wp-40 and flow from the returns.
can't decide what I want to do for flow...
Tank is going to be SPS with some euphyllia, and rockscape is low and minimal.

I'm wanting to try a new Gyre pump but don't think 1 will be enough and I dont really want to spend $600 for two.
- Thought about getting 2 of the x130, putting them on the back wall shooting forward...I know they're meant for much smaller tank but since it'd only be blowing 3' to the front might work?
- Thought about getting 1 x150, putting it in the middle of back wall and putting a jebao on each side to supplement...
- Considering waiting for the large X170 version to come out and putting it on the side so it's blowing long ways across the tank but I think it's going to be awhile before that model comes out so...
Also i have never actually seen a gyre in person so i don't really know how powerful it is so maybe 1 WOULD work since my rockwork is so low and minimal??? maybe put it on the side?

Any opinions would help please

berbotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 x 150 at either end - 1 placed to the front one placed to the rear - wp40 are too laminar for a 300dd

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With an open scape/minimal rock work I think one would be enough. I have a 300 DD and a single maxspect 150 moved more water more efficiently through the entire tank than 3 vortech mp 40's and/or wp 60's. I had played with so many combinations to try to get the water moving well throughout the whole tank and was never completely satisfied. Don't know if the actual gph is better - but the overall flow is far better using just one gyre pump - there are no dead spots. I did end up adding a second one and run then both horizontally off one end- but am only running it at 40% (first one runs at 80%).

If you are going to supplement with a jebao anyway - I would place the 150 on one end and then add the jebao where you find you want the additional flow. The 150 will move the water all the way across the 6 foot tank ..... I think if you tried to put it on the back wall you would have to run it a very low power.

OP
OP
A

AquaCox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear from someones experience with the same setup! thanks alot

Cupcake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main Return Pump

I've seen a lot of discussions here about flow within the tank. Love to hear thoughts on the main return pump. I currently have a 125g and want to move to a 210. Running a little giant 4MDX. Would that work on a 210?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back