300g Journey

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT: This original post is never updated, find new content in the comments I add and follow along my journey as I learn and grow!

Hello everyone at R2R!

I finally have the tank and stand to combine all my livestock and 'downsize' to one tank while also giving them the proper size home they deserve.

The old tanks: a 125gallon running with 2 FX6 canisters and a HOB protein skimmer, 80 gallon with 30 gallon sump, and a 40 gallon tall that has 2 HOB filters.'
Livestock:
125 has a heavy load I know and was a big reason for this upgrade - has 2 clowns, 3 chromis, purple tang, blue tang, false yellow tang, pink square anthias, diamond goby, mandarin goby
80 has 2 zebra moray eels that are both about 1.5 feet long. Housing a lot of rocks for caves and knew they needed a bigger tank too.
40 isn't pictured and is basically housing a bunch of liverock and 2 clowns

image_50406913.JPG

image_50419201.JPG

Shot of the boys (ed and eduardo) hanging close as usual in the tank
image_50442497.JPG

I've been reefing for ~1.5 years and knew I would eventually wanted a larger tank. A deal came up that I decided I wanted to take on as a project. A 280 gallon acrylic tank.
Stand needs a fresh coat, tank needs a good buffing, and I'm taking my time to make sure this is done right and looks good.
The other option if it doesn't buff out well is try to get the back wall off that has silicone EVERYWHERE to hold it on and I assume will have far less scratches.

By far the heaviest thing I have ever lifted and the biggest challenge in my opinion will be getting it into the house safely once it's ready.
image_50446849.JPG

(Also no this isnt it fully strapped in lol)

Comparison next to the 125
280 is 80"x2'x3'

image_50422529.JPG

Some of the front scratches that i'm hoping will buff off and not show as much when full and under blue light
Stand needs some loving but overall good shape and very strong
image_50381313.JPG

(does have an end board not pictured)

It has a big overflow at one end that will lead to 4 filter socks before hitting the sump (which will have more socks, holy socks). Then a return that splits in 2 so there's a return on both ends of the tank. Planning to have all the other classic stuff in sump - protein skimmer (haven't picked one out yet), big butt heater, lots of bio media from my tanks running, eventually refugium. Already have 200lbs+ of liverock and 200 lbs of fresh livesand. Going to use a bit of rinsed sand from old tanks too.

This is going to be one fun project and I hope you all enjoy the ride with me! Really really really hoping it buffs nicely and looks better when full. Sellers pictures when it was full you couldn't see the scratches much at all. But hey it was a great deal and I'm super excited to get going. Will be posting the next update once the stand is painted and tank is up and running.

Longer term plans:
Automated monitoring system
Auto top off
Additional filtering help such as biopellet reactors, carbon reactors
Dosers

Any advice or product recommendations are welcome and much appreciated! Thank you all!

Last edited:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh! Big build!! That will be fun to watch! :) Best of luck..

OP
OP
Marquarium

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank stand has been painted, water test done, moved tank and stand inside to where the 125 was.

Using novus on the acrylic isn’t working as well as I’d hoped but I think it’s most likely me doing it incorrectly. Going to do more research on it and keep trying.

Have all the plumbing mostly ready to go too.

Then next step we get filling :)

IMG_1667.jpeg

OP
OP
Marquarium

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates!!!

Plumbing took a heck of a lot longer than I was hoping. But it’s done really well and I’m super happy with it!

Tank has been fully running for a few days now and I just setup the lights today because the mounts dried. Going to slowly acclimate the corals again because they all look pretty awful unfortunately. Not surprised but I should’ve had a better temporary holding situation for them.

Also got a protein skimmer, going to be getting that going asap

Please excuse the wire mess LOL - i literally just got everything plugged in
IMG_1700.jpeg

IMG_1699.jpeg

Can’t wait to add some more livestock!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates!!!

Plumbing took a heck of a lot longer than I was hoping. But it’s done really well and I’m super happy with it!

Tank has been fully running for a few days now and I just setup the lights today because the mounts dried. Going to slowly acclimate the corals again because they all look pretty awful unfortunately. Not surprised but I should’ve had a better temporary holding situation for them.

Also got a protein skimmer, going to be getting that going asap

Please excuse the wire mess LOL - i literally just got everything plugged in
IMG_1700.jpeg

IMG_1699.jpeg

Can’t wait to add some more livestock!
Can't wait to see all the new livestock you put in there!

OP
OP
Marquarium

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing like a little more tank size for the buck
Right! Not a bad thing haha

Can't wait to see all the new livestock you put in there!
Just added a leopard wrasse! Will be sure to post a good pic of them soon

Going to start exploring new fish stores in my state and see if I can find some other unique wrasses or tang

OP
OP
Marquarium

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the leopard wrasse didn't even survive their first day ;(
I have yet to find them

Pretty bummed about it, but everyone else is doing great and tank params are right around their usual spots. This was my first time going to this fish store so i'm hoping it's a fluke and nothing happens with the rest of the tank mates.

Deciding from now on to stick with the LFS I've had consistent good luck with. They're willing to do orders and quarantine before selling which I love.

OP
OP
Marquarium

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad update unfortunately - one or more new fish recently added must’ve had velvet. The couple new fish I added (gold rim surgeon, false yellow tang, leopard wrasse, lyretail anthias) all seemed to develop velvet and by the time I noticed it was of course far too late.

The good news is all the fish that were already in the tank seem to be doing great still and I’m keeping a close eye on them.

Bought a cheap UV to run temporarily and will eventually upgrade to something better because reviews from R2R and other sites for this brand of uv aren’t great, but it was affordable

IMG_1745.jpeg

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about your velvet issue, I just went through that myself on my 300g. My 2 cents, set your 125 back up as a QT and get all the fish out of the new tank for a Fallow period. I treated it with Cupramine with very good results. I also added a UV, Icecap HOUV-40-watts with water going through it at about 300gph. You need long exposure to UV with that parasite. good luck to you.

OP
OP
Marquarium

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about your velvet issue, I just went through that myself on my 300g. My 2 cents, set your 125 back up as a QT and get all the fish out of the new tank for a Fallow period. I treated it with Cupramine with very good results. I also added a UV, Icecap HOUV-40-watts with water going through it at about 300gph. You need long exposure to UV with that parasite. good luck to you.

Appreciate it, and since this post it has spread to a purple tang and one clown. Really wish I had a cycled tank with no coral ready to treat them.

This is a hard lesson learned and I know I need to have a backup qt tank ready to go. And I should qt new fish in general.

OP
OP
Marquarium

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also here’s the most recent update pic of the setup. I’ll get one of the insides tomorrow

IMG_1749.jpeg

Yes I know the clock needs moving but it’s hiding something hehe

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also here’s the most recent update pic of the setup. I’ll get one of the insides tomorrow

IMG_1749.jpeg

Yes I know the clock needs moving but it’s hiding something hehe
Tank is looking great! Honestly the clock looks fine there haha

OP
OP
Marquarium

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After measuring PAR I realized that the reason my corals were dying were because my lights were no where near strong enough to reach down to 3 ft. I changed up rock structure for the stingray and shark and while doing that was able to raise corals about a foot. Then I added narrow reflectors to all the kessils, 2 Nicrew lights, 2 Ai primes.

Nitrates were also a struggle a bit but are no longer. Using NOPOX plus running a reactor with biopellets and added a bunch of matrix to slow moving areas of sump.

Corals are actually starting to grow which I’m super happy with and got a bunch of frags. Let’s hope the next posts are of some growth. Currently the candy canes have been splitting.

IMG_2148.jpeg
IMG_2147.jpeg
IMG_2149.jpeg
IMG_2151.jpeg
IMG_2150.jpeg

Having so much fun!!

OP
OP
Marquarium

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing out the middle kessil a360x with this!
IMG_2157.jpeg

Anxiously waiting for the arm to be delivered. Excited to see the par in the sand.

Planning the move the kessil a360x to one of the ends to add more like

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude! Is that a blue spot stingray and a bamboo shark?!

I kept those back in the day, and now my kids bug me to set up a Fish Only tank so we can get some lol.

I have a mixed reef now, and I like my cleaner shrimp to stay alive so I have to say no to the blue spot. haha

Like the color of your stand too. Good job!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back