40 Gallon Clownfish Tank

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my names J, I just started my saltwater aquarium!
I plan to only keep the pair of clown fish in this 40 gallon all to themselves maybe with a pistol shrimp/goby in the future.

Tank
40 Gallon 36x18
Light
Nicrew 32w LED
HOB Filters
Tidal 75 & Aquaclear not sure was given by neighbor with media
Water Flow
Sicce Voyager Nano 2000 X3
Heater
Fluval m150
Sand
Caribsea Live Sand 40lbs
Rock
Live Rock from LFS
Live Bacteria
Dr Tims One & Only / Media from neighbors tank
Water
Premixed Saltwater from LFS
Fish
Paired Clownfish

Plans
I eventually want to add some beginner friendly corals and just keep the two clownfish and possibly breed them!
This is my first saltwater tank any advice is appreciated. How often should i change the water/top off/clean?

image0.jpeg IMG_4593.jpg IMG_4606 (1).jpg

2/22/2024: First 25% Water change
2/23/2024: Added breeder box for Hob chaeto algae

Last edited:

mh0ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 21 gal shallow tank and top off once a day. I 3D printed a little gauge, or water line marker, that hangs on the tank glass with the long side to the outside, that way no PLA hangs in the water. I’ve found that my evaporation rate is right around 500ml per day, so I’ve got six 500ml “rinse bottles” that I use for top off throughout the week - I basically just squirt a full bottle in pointed at the wave maker each morning and occasionally check the salinity to make sure it isn’t drifting.

As far as water changes, I personally do around 15% once a week, which for my tank is only around 2.5 gallons. I don’t have any filtration other than bacteria - live rock, and live sand - and so far it seems to be working well. I’m also a complete newb, so my advice/routine may not be the most recommended

Last edited:

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Testing regularly is really key to success early on. I recommend at least weekly for a while until you feel like you have a handle on how to keep key parameters stable.

Use the feedback from your testing to dial in your top-off and water-change regimen.

The longer you can wait to ramp up the lights for corals, the more forgiving the hobby will be. Enjoy!

OP
OP
soarer209

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the replies! so just keep watching my water lvls then start water changing from there? i hope my two clows survive i love them already!

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a similar size tank and personally, I'd do the following:

Water Changes: Weekly 10% to 20%

Top-offs: For that size, I'd look into an ATO. Or I would top off my hand throughout the day - whatever amount of times seems reasonable based on your personal schedule.

Cleaning: Varies depending on what you're cleaning. I would have a magnet glass scraper and do the glass daily. I would replace filter/media as needed depending on what you have. I would turn over sand bed and scrub/turkey baster rocks weekly during water changes, etc.

OP
OP
soarer209

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a similar size tank and personally, I'd do the following:

Water Changes: Weekly 10% to 20%

Top-offs: For that size, I'd look into an ATO. Or I would top off my hand throughout the day - whatever amount of times seems reasonable based on your personal schedule.

Cleaning: Varies depending on what you're cleaning. I would have a magnet glass scraper and do the glass daily. I would replace filter/media as needed depending on what you have. I would turn over sand bed and scrub/turkey baster rocks weekly during water changes, etc.
okay thank you! for the top offs i can use normal distilled water & should i dose it with prime and heat the water too before adding it?
10 to 20% water changes equal out too 5 gallon water change or is that 10 gallon ? my bad .. i was never good in math...

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank, evaporation varies from tank to tank depending on multiple factors, room temperature, water temperature, lid or no lid etc. monitor your salinity, topping off as needed, until you understand the evaporation rate. I would recommend 10-15% weekly water changes.

mh0ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 3D printed a little gauge, or water line marker, that hangs on the tank glass with the long side to the outside, that way no PLA hangs in the water.
I took a pic of the 3D printed part this afternoon in case you wanted any ideas for gauging top off, it's worked pretty well for me so far :)
IMG_4536.jpg

OP
OP
soarer209

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank, evaporation varies from tank to tank depending on multiple factors, room temperature, water temperature, lid or no lid etc. monitor your salinity, topping off as needed, until you understand the evaporation rate. I would recommend 10-15% weekly water changes.
Thank you will do!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back