400 Gallon Starfire Build - Mixed Reef

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be one heck of a Tank!! Can't wait to see it full of water!! I'm along for the ride!!

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great so far. My 210 is 30" tall and sometimes its a PITA to reach the bottom but I will never go back to a 24" tank. your tank will be awesome when its done.

OP
OP
AJsTank

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great so far. My 210 is 30" tall and sometimes its a PITA to reach the bottom but I will never go back to a 24" tank. your tank will be awesome when its done.

I'm glad you said that. I love the viewing area on tall tanks.

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing is a beast!!!!!!! I also have a diablo pump and love it so far. In for the ride :)

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
great looking tank and i'm following along, too as i build my 265 so that i can get some tips or ideas. love the components and drive on this build and that you have tons of photos - keep 'em coming!

couple things -
you mention having the RO/DI feed your sump directly. do NOT do this. have the RO/DI go to a separate container and use an ATO. the day your float valve fails or your ASO fails on your RO/DI or the check valve in your ASO and your sump fills with top off you will rue the day.

you mention using miracle mud. check out this video series if you haven't: Inside EcoSystem Showroom: Episode 2 - Comparing Mud Filter - YouTube

OP
OP
AJsTank

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great looking tank and i'm following along, too as i build my 265 so that i can get some tips or ideas. love the components and drive on this build and that you have tons of photos - keep 'em coming!

couple things -
you mention having the RO/DI feed your sump directly. do NOT do this. have the RO/DI go to a separate container and use an ATO. the day your float valve fails or your ASO fails on your RO/DI or the check valve in your ASO and your sump fills with top off you will rue the day.

you mention using miracle mud. check out this video series if you haven't: Inside EcoSystem Showroom: Episode 2 - Comparing Mud Filter - YouTube

I'm having second thoughts on Miracle Mud. I posted that and I got and I got a bunch of people messaging me and telling me no. haha - But hey, that's why I posted, so that I could get some awesome feed back.

As far as the RODI feed, isn't there a way to monitor when the sump level goes up or down and have it linked to your controller to text or email you?

OP
OP
AJsTank

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my return pumps today. I keep changing my mind on this, but I decided to go back to using 2 returns and then turning the variable speed down on them. These are the Reef Octopus DC 10500 pumps.

OP
OP
AJsTank

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schedule 80 fittings and valves! I realize schedule 40 will work, but I really like the look of the 80. Check out these ball valves out. I noticed that several of the aquariums here in the states use this exact valve, so I decided to copy them :) These are very expensive valves and probably overkill for my system, but they work great. I tried 8 different valves out in the plumbing store and these were the highest quality and easiest to open and close.

8 Ball Valves, 12 unions and 14 bulkheads are going to get the job done.

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm having second thoughts on Miracle Mud. I posted that and I got and I got a bunch of people messaging me and telling me no. haha - But hey, that's why I posted, so that I could get some awesome feed back.

As far as the RODI feed, isn't there a way to monitor when the sump level goes up or down and have it linked to your controller to text or email you?
yeah i tried it for about 2 years and i really don't think it's worth it nor do i recall any noticeable benefits. you have an awesome sump and plenty of area for some awesome macro and fuge anyway!

Got my schedule 80 pipe today. This is what happens when you don't have a truck :)
gotta love the cleaniness of sch80. i'm with you dude!

Schedule 80 fittings and valves! I realize schedule 40 will work, but I really like the look of the 80. Check out these ball valves out. I noticed that several of the aquariums here in the states use this exact valve, so I decided to copy them :) These are very expensive valves and probably overkill for my system, but they work great. I tried 8 different valves out in the plumbing store and these were the highest quality and easiest to open and close.

8 Ball Valves, 12 unions and 14 bulkheads are going to get the job done.
that's awesome you can get sch80 valves at your plumbing store like that! you'll love them in a year or two when they still work exactly like they do now. i'm surprised you went with ABS bulkheads and not sch80 there as well - any specific reason or just what was easily available?

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got my return pumps today. I keep changing my mind on this, but I decided to go back to using 2 returns and then turning the variable speed down on them. These are the Reef Octopus DC 10500 pumps.
that's the way to do it. lower overall wattage load and likely longer longevity. i did the exact same thing. you don't want to bush down the inlet, though from that 1.25". i guess you're going external? you've heard of the overheating issues with these guys when run external? jeremy @ coralvue recommeded internal/submersible as did the guys at avast. in their experience they prematurely fail due to overheating when run externally. bushing it down can overexert that even further. 1.25" plumbing isn't the most convenient to pick up but can be had online easily. g'luck!

OP
OP
AJsTank

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i tried it for about 2 years and i really don't think it's worth it nor do i recall any noticeable benefits. you have an awesome sump and plenty of area for some awesome macro and fuge anyway!

gotta love the cleaniness of sch80. i'm with you dude!

that's awesome you can get sch80 valves at your plumbing store like that! you'll love them in a year or two when they still work exactly like they do now. i'm surprised you went with ABS bulkheads and not sch80 there as well - any specific reason or just what was easily available?

I wanted to do the schedule 80 bulkheads, but I don't have the space. They were a tiny bit wider and I couldn't cut into the cabinet anymore. I went with schedule 80, just because of the look. That's really it. It just looks cleaner to me. I know it was quite a bit more for the plumbing parts, but in the overall picture, it's not a big increase in cost and I figured I might as well do it the way I want now.

OP
OP
AJsTank

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's the way to do it. lower overall wattage load and likely longer longevity. i did the exact same thing. you don't want to bush down the inlet, though from that 1.25". i guess you're going external? you've heard of the overheating issues with these guys when run external? jeremy @ coralvue recommeded internal/submersible as did the guys at avast. in their experience they prematurely fail due to overheating when run externally. bushing it down can overexert that even further. 1.25" plumbing isn't the most convenient to pick up but can be had online easily. g'luck!

I guess I still could go internal if I wanted to. I tried getting the 1.25 pipe and they didn't have any. I would have to special order it. I even looked online and most places don't have enough parts in stock of the 1.25. I found that most places only stocked 1 and 1.5 for some reason. So tell me this.. If I go internal, reduce to 1 inch and bring the speed down, what's your opinion on going that route VS reducing and staying external?

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wanted to do the schedule 80 bulkheads, but I don't have the space. They were a tiny bit wider and I couldn't cut into the cabinet anymore. I went with schedule 80, just because of the look. That's really it. It just looks cleaner to me. I know it was quite a bit more for the plumbing parts, but in the overall picture, it's not a big increase in cost and I figured I might as well do it the way I want now.
ah, ok. yeah you're right they are a bit beefier for sure. good consideration. and you don't have to explain sch80 to me, sir. trust me i get it, haha https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/la...onkiboys-265g-build-thread-3.html#post1532696
20130823_161406_zpsec9e2752.jpg

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. What a beautiful build so far. That stand is gorgeous, and that tank is ginormous! Congrats!

OP
OP
AJsTank

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess I still could go internal if I wanted to. I tried getting the 1.25 pipe and they didn't have any. I would have to special order it. I even looked online and most places don't have enough parts in stock of the 1.25. I found that most places only stocked 1 and 1.5 for some reason. So tell me this.. If I go internal, reduce to 1 inch and bring the speed down, what's your opinion on going that route VS reducing and staying external?
check out flexpvc.com. they have just about everything single plumbing fitting known to man, including all your 1.25" pipe, fittings, valves, etc. although if using a valve on the 1.25" i'd go bigger, 1.5" and then bush down to the 1.25" for non-restrictive flow. it's not common, you're right which is why most places don't have it.

just based on the experience of folks that have had the dc10500 6+ months and experienced issues because of running it external, i'm inclined (and what i ended up doing) is installing both mine internal. that coupled with the heat issues associated with the original gen 1 rlss/h20 pumps (that RO largely copied) makes me think it would only be a matter of time. and i dont feel like dealing with that and trying my luck with lower speeds instead because what if one day i add a frag tank or sump or something off the manifold and need all 2600gph flow? i reduced my output to 1" for ease of plumbing and just used the provided screen and put in my sump. easy peezy. up to you of course and perhaps you have heard much different about their performance as an external pump? i don't know, sir.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back