450 Gallons, My Peninsula build.

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A really tough part of this project was the lights. This was now around 2017ish and I knew lights were changing and I was now working for a lighting company that is now out of business. I wanted something that I could adapt if needed but also not rust away. I decided to go the 8020 option.
Here are some of the design I was looking at.
FYI, I did my lights out of 8020 as well. Mounted to the wall, and built sliding trays to move them for easier tank access. Let me know if you want to see them.

OP
OP
wishntoboutside

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, I did my lights out of 8020 as well. Mounted to the wall, and built sliding trays to move them for easier tank access. Let me know if you want to see them.
8020 stuff is amazing. I wish I would have done the stand with it. Without jumping ahead it has now had three style of lights on it so far.

OP
OP
wishntoboutside

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serious question, in the 7 years this has been set up, how many times has someone slammed that door against the tank?
I am dying you made me get up and look where it hits. lol. the door know would hit the steel frame below if it hits. there are no marks, but I have this cement dog that is used to hold door open every now and then. it blocks it.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dying you made me get up and look where it hits. lol. the door know would hit the steel frame below if it hits. there are no marks, but I have this cement dog that is used to hold door open every now and then. it blocks it.
You are a brave brave man. My eyes went right to that shiny ball of death on the door. Cement dog putting in the work.

OP
OP
wishntoboutside

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was truly and exciting time as I had a lot of the equipment acquired. It was close to getting wet. I got the inline heater 2000 watt that i was looking for. I think I was on my forth order of parts thru supplyhouse.com and still needing things.
I got 2 Royal Exclusive RD3 230 watt pumps and a 300 skimmer. I never got a skimmer in a fancy bag before. I was not sure if smaller pumps would work as one pump was going thru an 80 watt UV and a outside chiller. The second pump was used as a return and manifold for things. I always liked the idea of two return pumps incase one dies.

OP
OP
wishntoboutside

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More plumbing pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpeg
    IMG_0117.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0118.jpeg
    IMG_0118.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0116.jpeg
    IMG_0116.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
wishntoboutside

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making progress. At this point I was moving . Using a chop saw is so easy to cut straight pipe but just messy.

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpeg
    IMG_0266.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0267.jpeg
    IMG_0267.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0268.jpeg
    IMG_0268.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
wishntoboutside

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around this point is when I was putting the pumps on there was an issue with one of the red dragon pumps. For those that do not know these pumps there is a Johnguest fitting on the back. this is to move water and cool motor better i am assuming. The fitting was broke. Called into support on this. I was advised that pump may have fell off a pallet and it is an easy fix. just glue it. My response was not good on this to say it mildly. I decided to send the pump to Scott and he gave it to me at a show. kind of sucked buying a brand new pump and ending that why but it is what it is. This was just another delay in getting things going.

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build, I’m looking forward to seeing the progress and to see where the tank is at now

OP
OP
wishntoboutside

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0239.jpg
At this point in time I had been stalled again waiting for a fitting or two. Special Grey fittings just slowing me down. While I was waiting for the parts to arrive I started on the aquascaping. If it recall i put around 200 pounds total of sand. It was three different types of sand. I did not want a deep sand bed. It was around 3/4 to one inch in most place. being it was a PVC bottom it was dark grey. I really wanted the brightness of a sanded and not the barebottom look. I had all of my bare bottom friends telling me no at this point.
Here are some pictures of the process of the aquascaping. I think it was about two weeks until I settled. Some of was done in marco and hd mortor to build the arches. The thing about using cement. You truly figure it out how to do it it right after you are done. Gloves, popsicle sticks to spread. Brace all before applying cement as you do not want it to wiggle. let dry for a day and then flip or even add where you missed. mix small amounts of cement at a time.

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
wishntoboutside

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around this time I went to my 2nd out of state Reefapoolza. I had already been to Orlando. This time it was New York. I was working for Euroquatics at the time. I took this home with me on my pallet of trade show items.
IMG_0217.jpg

OP
OP
wishntoboutside

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0280.jpg
Now this was the best day ever. It was officially wet. I am still surprised to this day.
IMG_0278.jpg
No leaks since day one. I truly expecting to be water gushing somewhere. The water was loud filling it up and yes a little water splashing on the new stone flooring already.
IMG_0277.jpg

OP
OP
wishntoboutside

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let the water run about a month or so, thru some shrimp to start the cycle. I also used some rock from an older system to go in the sump. lots of sponges. white, and yellow on the rock. I knew this would get it going quickly. It seemed like it was all down hill at this point. I was adding more fish.
IMG_0404.jpg
IMG_0444.jpeg
IMG_0432.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back