Help, first sump build! beginner choosing first sump

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a IM Nuvo 50 EXT that I purchased used for $200. I bought it over a year ago and realized how out of my depth a sump build was. I've learned some plumbing by building a mixing station and have cared for small marine aquariums a lot longer now.

My goal is to save as much money as possible for the important things so lights and filtration. Also, I want to keep mostly LPS/softies.

I built a DIY stand for about $70. Stand dimensions are 30"x 24"

20240406_223806[1].jpg

Now I want to get a nice sump. I wouldn't mind something that takes up most of the room under the stand and I can put the wires/controllers/ato reservoir somewhere else.
I also want it to run as quiet as possible because this build will be in my bedroom beside my desk.
I think I want a filter roller because socks seem like a hassle and sometimes I am lazy. Maybe I could be convinced otherwise. I've never had a sump lol.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a IM Nuvo 50 EXT that I purchased used for $200. I bought it over a year ago and realized how out of my depth a sump build was. I've learned some plumbing by building a mixing station and have cared for small marine aquariums a lot longer now.

My goal is to save as much money as possible for the important things so lights and filtration. Also, I want to keep mostly LPS/softies.

I built a DIY stand for about $70. Stand dimensions are 30"x 24"

20240406_223806[1].jpg

Now I want to get a nice sump. I wouldn't mind something that takes up most of the room under the stand and I can put the wires/controllers/ato reservoir somewhere else.
I also want it to run as quiet as possible because this build will be in my bedroom beside my desk.
I think I want a filter roller because socks seem like a hassle and sometimes I am lazy. Maybe I could be convinced otherwise. I've never had a sump lol.
@Projects with Sam about the filter roller thingy

How much do you want to spend on a sump what’s the footprint underneath?

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you want to spend on a sump what’s the footprint underneath?
$200-$600. If on the cheaper end I can buy the filter roller.

The legs of the stand take up 5"x3" at each corner of the 30"x24" stand. So the biggest would be 30"x18" if rectangular or up to 20"x24" if it was the in the middle of the stand.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the largest you can git in your stand. I run the 26" version and it is a decent sump. The edges on the top are sharp, so I'd gently samd them down to get ride of the 90° angle. One thing to also thing about is where will you store the ato reservoir if you plan on using one. Imo, you will absolutely want one with a sump. All evaporation is in the return chamber and it will drop a decent amount each day.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would fit very nice. I see you are using the same tank as me so must be good advice! lol

Why did you choose the 26 over the 30? Saving room for the ATO reservoir? I wouldn't mind for it to be beside the stand.

Last edited:

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would fit very nice. I see you are using the same tank as me so must be good advice! lol

Why did you choose the 26 over the 30? Saving room for the ATO reservoir? It wouldn't be a big deal for me to put it beside the stand.
The 30" doesn't fit in the IM stand. If it did, I would have gone with the 30"

I keep my reservoir off to the side of the tank in a corner where I can't see it. IMO, any reservoir that would fit in the stand with the sump would be too small to be of any use.

crys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aio im20 with an Eshopps cube nano snuggly underneath. If you want more space in your stand and also want a Refugium chamber, skimmer chamber, and filter sock holder which can be substituted for a klir roller mat. Eshopps nano cube might be nice.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering pulling the trigger on this trigger cyrstal 30 sump. The only thing I don't like is it is only 12" wide. Will work great with the reefmat, it saves a ton of money, and I have no idea what I really want in a sump so why pay for extra dingies

Other contenders
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ruby-sump-30-trigger-systems.html - just not in stock or this is #1

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sapphire-sump-26-trigger-systems.html - if I didn't want a filter roller.. or a klir drop in ?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fiji-30-advanced-reef-sump-2nd-gen-fiji-cube.html = the biggest possible fit but I've read bad reviews saying it is loud. Or where do I put my carbon?

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering pulling the trigger on this trigger cyrstal 30 sump. The only thing I don't like is it is only 12" wide. Will work great with the reefmat, it saves a ton of money, and I have no idea what I really want in a sump so why pay for extra dingies

Other contenders
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ruby-sump-30-trigger-systems.html - just not in stock or this is #1

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sapphire-sump-26-trigger-systems.html - if I didn't want a filter roller.. or a klir drop in ?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fiji-30-advanced-reef-sump-2nd-gen-fiji-cube.html = the biggest possible fit but I've read bad reviews saying it is loud. Or where do I put my carbon?
My fiji 26 is not loud and I put my carbon in a bag in the tray with filterfloss instead of socks. you can also run a small reactor with carbon in it. Unsure how a sump could be loud to be honest. If you aren't sure what you want, I think it may be best to check out build threads to see what you may want ot like in the future. If you want something cheap and basic while figuring out what you want in a sump, I recommend not buying any of these and building your own using a 20g long and some cheap glass from a glass store. It is cheap and it can be repurposed down the road. All of the options are expensive and you will wind up spending more in the long run.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ruby 30 and it is excellent. Very happy with the design, layout, space and build quality.

If you want to save money i have a new 24” acrylic sump in my garage. I’d sell for less than 50% of what I spent. I need the storage space frees up. Might not be exactly what you want thought. But money is money and it is a new sump lol

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend not buying any of these and building your own using a 20g long and some cheap glass from a glass store. It is cheap and it can be repurposed down the road. All of the options are expensive and you will wind up spending more in the long run.

I didn't consider buying glass cuts from a glass store. How much would they charge for some small cuts like that.

The 20 gallon long would hang out of my stand a 1/4" on both ends but I guess that's ok.

The crystal sump is $240 final price right now but I could build it for tank + silicone+ price of glass cuts. Would $65 sound about right?

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't consider buying glass cuts from a glass store. How much would they charge for some small cuts like that.

The 20 gallon long would hang out of my stand a 1/4" on both ends but I guess that's ok.

The crystal sump is $240 final price right now but I could build it for tank + silicone+ price of glass cuts. Would $65 sound about right?
My giess would be closer to $100-$120 for the tank, silicone, and 3 peices of glass.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My feelings aren’t hurt If you decline, or if it doesn’t meet your goals, but since you said you want to save money for more important stuff I figured I’d offer this. I need shelf space in my garage and this was bought for a build that never happened.

Brand new sump/refugium, never used. Sock holder is removable
Acrylic, perfect condition
24"(L) x 12"(W) x 15.7"(H)
Made by Seapora, formerly Deep Blue

I’d sell for $125 + sh
And I happen to be in a neighbor state to you so sh probably isn’t bad

12FBDFFC-56E2-4012-9E65-3B0A18455BF1.jpeg

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I thought the 20l was 30". I am not a fan of an improperly supported tank. Even if it is a sump that is half full. It'll probably be fine, but peace of mind is valuable

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My feelings aren’t hurt If you decline, or if it doesn’t meet your goals, but since you said you want to save money for more important stuff I figured I’d offer this. I need shelf space in my garage and this was bought for a build that never happened.

Brand new sump/refugium, never used. Sock holder is removable
Acrylic, perfect condition
24"(L) x 12"(W) x 15.7"(H)
Made by Seapora, formerly Deep Blue

I’d sell for $125 + sh
And I happen to be in a neighbor state to you so sh probably isn’t bad
Do you know the length of the first chamber? It looks just a bit smaller than what I am looking for and the section going to the return chamber is a bit odd. Is there a coarse sponge there or something?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I can’t access it right now but I have these notes on the measurements I can see on the outside of the box

(My concern was making sure I bought a return pump that fits)

Return Chamber size is 4" x 12.2" x 7"
overall size is 24"(L) x 12"(W) x 15.7"(H)

This probably isn’t helpful lol but it’s all I have at the moment

I believe the coarse sponge area is 1” wide also

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back