Help, first sump build! beginner choosing first sump

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will try to get something a little bigger. Thank you though!
You’re welcome! Im going to post in the for sale threads.

Back to your original models, the ruby 30 has been running my tank for about 8 years and i really like it.

I love the sapphire also, but never ran it.

Crystal is value line of the ruby and is a solid choice also. These are all designed and built well.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SpyC Did you put a coarse sponge anywhere in your sump? I am thinking about using the large chamber for a refugium and am wondering how I could rig a sponge in between that and the new skimmer chamber.

Edit: Eh, I can figure it out I just wanted it to look nice I guess. lol

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SpyC Did you put a coarse sponge anywhere in your sump? I am thinking about using the large chamber for a refugium and am wondering how I could rig a sponge in between that and the new skimmer chamber.

Edit: Eh, I can figure it out I just wanted it to look nice I guess. lol
I did not. the catch if you use the large area as a fuge is you won't be able to use a skimmer. if you do find a skimmer that fits in the small section, it most likely isn't going to add much value to your tank's filtration. For the sponge, you could try getting longer plastic thumb screws that are used for the height adjustment. Then put the sponge between the height adjustment and the wall. This will add new issues though. Like varying water height as the sponge gets clogged.

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going through a really rough time trying to decide what to do with my first upgrade from a Fluval Evo. I've been driving myself crazy figuring out if I can handle building / maintaining a sump or get an AIO drop in from Fiji Cube. I've been watching sump videos and thought this one was helpful. You might rethink what sump you are looking at after watching.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually decided on the Trigger Sapphire cube 20. I didn't want the sump to run the 'exact' length of my stand and the 20 cube holds more water anyway. Also plumbing will be easier without having to go around my stand supports.

A cube sump for a square tank makes sense to me. lol

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger Ruby 30 - in stock two places

I got a monster skimmer in chamber 1
50897549-6CF2-45DC-B36B-5BDA027F27C4.jpeg

Chamber 2 can be a huge refugium
I’ve used for cheato
022F46CF-98BE-45FC-B8A0-8B639D39408D.jpeg

And I currently use with a 3” sandbed, algae scrubber, and live rock.
9F38CDAE-B5DC-4765-91B9-E58EF2B8EFCE.jpeg

You get two media shelves for whatever you want. I use chemipure packs and matrix in a filter bag - those shelves ensure all of the water passes through the media you use, and it comes with coarse pads.

Chamber 3 is also large and holds my return pump and live rock, I’ve had a phosphate reactor in here for prior builds

Excellent sump, very versatile and tons of room. You don’t want a tiny refugium and you don’t want to have to be limited to what you can use your sump for

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should get the Trigger Triton 20 cube because I like the size of the chambers and it is more versatile.

The Trigger 20 Cubes have about a gallon less water volume than the Ruby 30. They aren't as long but are 5" wider so they aren't really smaller. They'd also just fit better under my stand. The Ruby 30 will run the exact width and might make plumbing a bit awkward as I'd have to go around the supports to the bulkhead.

Would you still think the Ruby 30 would be better?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 76 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back