44 gal stocking list advice

beepboop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 44 gal tank, but it's kind of an odd shape (27.5" L x 16" W x 24" H). Currently has 2 ocellaris clowns and a yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair. I'm primarily growing macroalgae, no corals, may add a couple softies or try a photosynthetic gorg in the future if I'm feeling bold. I'm putting together a plan for future fish additions and appreciate any advice! Here is my working list:

- some type of blenny (leaning towards Midas, but still considering bicolor or tailspot)
- one Banggai cardinal
- one blue-green chromis
- one royal gramma and/or firefish

Also hoping for a cleaner shrimp. Would that be overstocked? I'm also open to other suggestions
Thanks in advance!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope...sounds like a great plan. Especially like the one blue-green chromis. It seems in smaller tanks everyone ends up with one anyway no matter how many they start with. The only thing to watch is when the clowns pair up they may get aggressive with breeding behavior (I only have one to prevent that, but minor issue as long as you're paying attention). And sure...grab a cleaner shrimp. Lastly, I highly recommend the tailspot. Peaceful with tons of personality and very cute - for a fish. Good luck!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ this, I second a tail spot, low biologic load. I prefer the royal gramma over the fire fish more active in my opinion.
53AA501E-A76C-44C6-AE1C-8C81C75E893C.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 44 gal tank, but it's kind of an odd shape (27.5" L x 16" W x 24" H). Currently has 2 ocellaris clowns and a yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair. I'm primarily growing macroalgae, no corals, may add a couple softies or try a photosynthetic gorg in the future if I'm feeling bold. I'm putting together a plan for future fish additions and appreciate any advice! Here is my working list:

- some type of blenny (leaning towards Midas, but still considering bicolor or tailspot)
- one Banggai cardinal
- one blue-green chromis
- one royal gramma and/or firefish

Also hoping for a cleaner shrimp. Would that be overstocked? I'm also open to other suggestions
Thanks in advance!
Based on your fish list I would stick with the gramma not the firefish, lost of the fish are more open swimmers and that can make the firefish shy, depends on the individual firefish though! If you get the firefish, add it before the others! Good stocking otherwise :)

OP
OP
B

beepboop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all!! My YWG is very shy and it makes me nervous all the time that he’s actually dead, so I’ll opt for the gramma over the firefish

Any rec on which to add next? Or they’re all generally peaceful, so maybe it doesn’t matter so much? There’s a bunch of very cute baby Banggais at my LFS…

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all!! My YWG is very shy and it makes me nervous all the time that he’s actually dead, so I’ll opt for the gramma over the firefish

Any rec on which to add next? Or they’re all generally peaceful, so maybe it doesn’t matter so much? There’s a bunch of very cute baby Banggais at my LFS…
They would be good to add next! If you get more than one make sure the LFS can sex them otherwise they will fight each other

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back