5 gallon pico lighting

imnewplshelp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be setting up a lifeguard aquatics slant front tank. I’m gonna use other an internal canister or a small external (unless that’s a bad idea for some reason) but I can’t figure out what light I wanna use. I only want to grow zoas, mushrooms (that won’t stay in my 15) a green sinularia, and maybe a toadstool. Are there any lights that are relatively cheap that could grow those things? Not a kessil a80 or an ai prime. I’m running the kessil on my 15 and it’s growing my lps and anemone nice. I considered trading it for a more powerful light and using it on the 5 but if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I really don’t want to spend much on lighting for this pico setup though. Considering just leaving the leathers in my tank and just doing lower light coral like Xenia, gsp, the mushrooms and the zoas if that would work better with a cheaper light.

ColorMeGone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Fluval 20 watt reef or a Nicrew 30 ...... Lots of lights for less than $50 that will keep zoas and mushrooms alive. I have a brand new Fluval marine nano and it works great for my 8.3 AIO tank. Very easy to program and has a full spectrum of LEDs.

OP
OP
I

imnewplshelp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sweet, I just looked at that and it actually seems pretty nice. How’s the par on that compared to fluval? I have another fluval light on a cichlid tank so might be kinda convenient

ColorMeGone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh cool, what corals do you have?
I apologize. It is a new tank also and waiting for my rock to cycle and also move to a new home in a few more weeks. I meant that it is easily programed and works/looks great on my tank. I also have a new AI 16HD I can use if changing to harder corals. I plan on Zoas only in this small tank. Maybe some GSP on the back wall.
I believe any of the cheaper LEDs for marine use would be fine for most soft corals. My local HS runs a few nanos with cheap Nicrews. Hyggers are also something to check out. If you want a Fluval go on Ebay and get you one for $45 shipped. Big price drop from retail.

Attachments

• 8.3 pico.jpg
    8.3 pico.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 19

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supplemented the Hygger 30w with a NICREW Marine Clip on $16 for more blue and cheap a.m/p.m. ramp up.
1/2hr A.M. & P.M., 20% Blue, then 75blue with 10% white during the 9hr light cycle with the Hygger which I'm running at 55% over a 11" deep desk top.

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize. It is a new tank also and waiting for my rock to cycle and also move to a new home in a few more weeks. I meant that it is easily programed and works/looks great on my tank. I also have a new AI 16HD I can use if changing to harder corals. I plan on Zoas only in this small tank. Maybe some GSP on the back wall.
I believe any of the cheaper LEDs for marine use would be fine for most soft corals. My local HS runs a few nanos with cheap Nicrews. Hyggers are also something to check out. If you want a Fluval go on Ebay and get you one for $45 shipped. Big price drop from retail.
Is this a tank from Lifegard? How do you find the tank in terms of build and the back chamber space?

I'm just a bit worried about the fact that the bottom glass is lifted up from the bottom.

ColorMeGone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a tank from Lifegard? How do you find the tank in terms of build and the back chamber space?

I'm just a bit worried about the fact that the bottom glass is lifted up from the bottom.
Yes, it's a LG 8.3 gal. with a 2" wide chamber. I will only be putting two small heaters and a ATO if the one I have now works for it. I don't think the lifted bottom will fail but only time will tell. Not sure why they think this is aesthetically pleasing but?
The ATO is running on my 10 gal. rock cycling tank and the spread is too far apart and the salinity changes to much so I will most likely top the LG tank off manually and when gone for a few days use the cheap hang on water bottle for ATO's. I believe you can set them much closer to spec. This ATO will wind up on my Fresh Water Planted tank just because I have it..lol

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back