720 gallon Miami Build

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome set up.

I would have made nearly identical choices except i did not find the gyre reliable, lighting is likely overkill (i run my hydras at like 55%max) and i run ozone through a geo's reef reactor. The uv is nice but you'll likely shut it down if you ever run zeo (i think the same goes for ozone).

What is your qt setup going to look like?

Also....just checking....you are plumbing the system so that you don't have to carry buckets...aren't you?

Best thing i ever did was plumb mine so that drain is a flip of a switch..and refilling is flipping another.

Programming your apex ought to be fun.

You probably won't be able to cycle that denitrator properly until your bio load is at 70% or more (or your going to be aggrivated adjusting it constantly).

Looks like you are skipping pellets and gfo....which is good, i think both are counter productive.

I would also water proof every area that has reactors, including the stand and add floor drains. If floor drains are not an option..i installed a self priming sunk pump hooked to an apex float switch.

Dont forget some good lighting in the stand and any maintenance areas.

I would also be extra vigilant about throughly testing your water freshly mixed so that your in tune with how your salt mixes for ca, alk, mg and nitrates rather than just testing the tank water.

Thats about all i have for now.

I keep a a back up apex main brain in storage, i highly recommend having a spare ....also installing a hard wuredether net cable to it rather than using wi fi. I also keep one extra heater, bubler, and circ pump that i can hook up quick if i have an apex failure or power failure.

I also do not run my water changes via the apex...i use remote control switches directly to my export and intake pumps.

Put a large ups battery directory on your apex and modem/router and likely youll still be able to communicate with your tank, even when the power is out (often times Internet still works when power down). Id grab an ecotech backup battery for the vortech as well because that will pretty much come on no matter what.

I have never used a ca reactor but i love the control i have with 2 part. I found kalk to actually be way higher maintenance than 2 part (its hard on pumps, takes a lot of work to keep the levels right, the lines clog, it causes too much ph fluctuation etc.)

Okay...THATS all i have...lol.

OP
OP
L

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin its about 5 inches and the one on top is 2 3/4 inch panels. 3 of them up top.

OP
OP
L

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have vents pushing air outside. Its a fairly large open area with vaulted ceilings. I'm hoping it won't be too much of an issue. If it does I'll purchase a system to control it

OP
OP
L

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome set up.

I would have made nearly identical choices except i did not find the gyre reliable, lighting is likely overkill (i run my hydras at like 55%max) and i run ozone through a geo's reef reactor. The uv is nice but you'll likely shut it down if you ever run zeo (i think the same goes for ozone).

Also....just checking....you are plumbing the system so that you don't have to carry buckets...aren't you?

Best thing i ever did was plumb mine so that drain is a flip of a switch..and refilling is flipping another.

You probably won't be able to cycle that denitrator properly until your bio load is at 70% or more (or your going to be aggrivated adjusting it constantly).

Looks like you are skipping pellets and gfo....which is good, i think both are counter productive.

I would also water proof every area that has reactors, including the stand and add floor drains. If floor drains are not an option..i installed a self priming sunk pump hooked to an apex float switch.

I would also be extra vigilant about throughly testing your water freshly mixed so that your in tune with how your salt mixes for ca, alk, mg and nitrates rather than just testing the tank water.

I keep a a back up apex main brain in storage, i highly recommend having a spare ....also installing a hard wuredether net cable to it rather than using wi fi. I also keep one extra heater, bubler, and circ pump that i can hook up quick if i have an apex failure or power failure.

I also do not run my water changes via the apex...i use remote control switches directly to my export and intake pumps.

Put a large ups battery directory on your apex and modem/router and likely youll still be able to communicate with your tank, even when the power is out (often times Internet still works when power down). Id grab an ecotech backup battery for the vortech as well because that will pretty much come on no matter what.

I have never used a ca reactor but i love the control i have with 2 part. I found kalk to actually be way higher maintenance than 2 part (its hard on pumps, takes a lot of work to keep the levels right, the lines clog, it causes too much ph fluctuation etc.)

I figured the denitrator would be a long process and really purchased it with my eye on the future as I plan to stock heavily. For lights in the sump I have 2 Mars hydro 300's so I think that should be enough to illuminate the inside. I can always add a cheap LED light down there as well. I am skipping the pellets as they have the similar functions to the denitrator. Floor drain is one think I wont be able to do unfortunately. We are going to add PVC board the bottom and try to leak proof it as much as possible. How does the self priming pump work hooked to the apex? Im going to try the reef link ad Apex wireless to start. Hoping it pans out as getting it hard wired will be another costly adventure :)For Water changes Im using the Genesis AWC. Thanks for your pointers. They are much appreciated!

OP
OP
L

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome set up.

Forgot to mention the lights. I got them more due to the depth of the system. At 48" deep I would like to try to get PAR and lumens near the bottom. LEDs Im sure you can guide me in as they are definitely not plug and play. Last time I had a system it was Halides, PC and VHO!!

OP
OP
L

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I forgot to ask is anyone on here fluent on Apex coding? I'm sure I'll definitely need help setting everything up and. O one seems to know too much.

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg. This is the mansion of a build in a residential home.. these fish will be spoiled for sure.. they won't even realize they are in captivity.. way to go! Following along

OP
OP
L

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg. This is the mansion of a build in a residential home.. these fish will be spoiled for sure.. they won't even realize they are in captivity.. way to go! Following along

Welcome to the show :) good to have you on board. Hopefully we'll be really close to having water in a week or so!!

OP
OP
L

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a good pic of the full top brace

Hey Justin sorry for the delay here are a few shots
c8ce952569ded4ff237f7641565d90df.jpg
42372f25415e51531d3ed1ba86e7b98d.jpg
294511aec34d9ed202bd02545a612a05.jpg
ce0c43266c7ddcebbf30201d4aae98c2.jpg

OP
OP
L

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys got some updates today. Put the pvc board under the sump and cleaned the inside. It's starting. To take form. We're guessing likely 10 days till it's ready. We were hoping 5 but you know how it is. Water station will be up and running hopefully by next week as well.
aa9cdc0a001e4126cd3896c422a10e05.jpg
d698ac6dd6f9e7618917bdb440792040.jpg
9619857dcc392ed07c5ad87d227bdb06.jpg
6548a9976cfa2816e45c880e6219acdb.jpg
db83b75baf7b8d6751f7612ec08af797.jpg
b27a18370c28aa5cccef12adfd123163.jpg

Changed these hinges!

3d0cea9b8e57bea8d149b8a14a73fc42.jpg
38fc211ede0a563759af8c3b1a67cd6e.jpg
a5efd29e238340f418d29e361d3782f9.jpg

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an epic build you have going on here my friend! Way to make a comeback into the hobby. I will be following along this journey with you and looking forward to the updates! Your definitely off to great start. Seeing coral colonies in a tank of this size is going to be great! Don't forget to add some grabbers to your list of tank maintenance supplies, lol keep up the great work brotha

OP
OP
L

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an epic build you have going on here my friend! Way to make a comeback into the hobby. I will be following along this journey with you and looking forward to the updates! Your definitely off to great start. Seeing coral colonies in a tank of this size is going to be great! Don't forget to add some grabbers to your list of tank maintenance supplies, lol keep up the great work brotha

Thanks and welcome to the ride! :) I have 2 separate grabbers which I found on different posts on here. Thx for the suggestions and anything you can think of feel free to chime in with suggestions!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh yea!! Progress baby!

Back