87 gallon SPS and Zoa Reef

blackgrouper79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I lost a few corals a month or so ago. Ice fire echinata and sunset mili. My sump was really nasty so I took all the rock out of it and drained it. Man you should have seen the nasty water that came out. Since then things have rebounded.
Shoot so you lost the ice fire. How long did you have that bad boy? That sucks losing those two! Good to hear everything is coming back and it wasn't a complete disaster.. I'm sure everything is loving it now that you got rid of all of the gunk that was built up in your sump. Is there something you can do to keep that from happening again? Maybe put a small powerhead in there to keep the water from getting stagnant or did you have any clean up crew in there--I keep a few permits and a few snails and mine just because? And actually now that you're mentioning that I haven't seen any live snails in my sump in awhile I'm going to drop a couple in there right now.

blackgrouper79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup lost the ice fire :-( Yeah the tort I haven't seen any growth. The Monti caps are getting out of hand!
Really? The tort just isn't doing anything for you? I was hoping you were going to say the opposite and I would finally bite the bullet and get a frag. Yea your caps are out of control lol....

OP
OP
Josh King

Josh King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? The tort just isn't doing anything for you? I was hoping you were going to say the opposite and I would finally bite the bullet and get a frag. Yea your caps are out of control lol....
I've heard the Tort is a really slow grower. The ice fire lasted about 2 months before it went south.

OP
OP
Josh King

Josh King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New FTS. I need a better camera.

New FTS.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Josh King

Josh King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get less of that green algae on the glass , and more clear water?
I clean the front and side glass with a magnet scraper almost every day. I also run a refugium in the back tank with cheato algae and other algae growing under a led light 24/7. I also use sea chem sea gel, purigen, and chemipure elite and change them on different 2 month periods. Hope this helps. Look through this thread and you will see a photo of my sump with the light. Thanks for looking.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back