A huge neglected frontier in reefkeeping

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each liter of natural seawater contains a billion bacteria.

Reef keepers prattle on endlessly about good and bad bacteria.

Each liter of natural seawater contains ten times that many viruses.

When was the last time a reef keeper asked whether any of those trillions of viruses in their aquarium might be contributing to the problems they are experiencing?

There's no easy answer to this issue. We can barely get a handle on a handful of human pathogenic viruses. Perhaps that's why it's not discussed much, but that doesn't mean it isn't playing a large role in reef aquaria.

How would we even know?

There is a constant stream of folks with problems that might be viruses. But there are no tests and no solutions.

Is ignorance bliss? Not to the guy who loses his prized organism for unknown reasons.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When was the last time a reef keeper asked whether any of those trillions of viruses in their aquarium might be contributing to the problems they are experiencing?

There's no easy answer to this issue. We can barely get a handle on a handful of human pathogenic viruses. Perhaps that's why it's not discussed much, but that doesn't mean it isn't playing a large role in reef aquaria.

How would we even know?

There is a constant stream of folks with problems that might be viruses. But there are no tests and no solutions.

Is ignorance bliss? Not to the guy who loses his prized organism for unknown reasons.
Mind blown!

Right.

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until the test methodology is developed, it's going to be near impossible to know. They're not observable short of an SEM (and even then, not in incredible detail), and the testing done to identify them now is either genetic sequencing or is based on the antibody response, and both are costly to administer (or develop) and which we have next to no database of what's out there and what it effects unless it deals directly with humans (or the occasional terrestrial species.)

Until environmental DNA sequencing becomes cheap enough to be done commercially like with an ICP, this is beyond the next frontier. The fragment identification tests that make genetic testing accessible for humans simply couldn't be usefully developed with the current catalog and understanding of marine viruses.

That all said, viruses are fragile. I'll bet if you did an analysis of how many free floating viruses there were in a tank, tanks with a UV or ozone system would probably not have a high concentration. In fact, since the genetic diversity of one of our tanks is a lot lower than a natural reef, it may be that in relatively short order our tanks house a lower than normal population because of lack of hosts or local population developed immunity.

I also wonder if it would be that useful - most of the viruses that exist aren't for macroorganisms, so how important is it to know about the viruses that are effecting your tank's bacterial population? At least until we have a better understanding of those bacteria, probably not very.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
? Viruses that infect bacteria (phages) and alter the bacterial biome of the tank

?Viruses that directly infect coral

Probably both are important, but I don't think it is likely that the resources needed for even a basic understanding will ever be available. Even more so, dedicating the resources to develop some sort of practical diagnostics and targeted antivirals that would let us do anything about viral pathogens in an aquarium are even more unlikely.

It is a fascinating topic for sure, but I think from a practical standpoint it is only of theoretical interest.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wonder if it would be that useful - most of the viruses that exist aren't for macroorganisms, so how important is it to know about the viruses that are effecting your tank's bacterial population? At least until we have a better understanding of those bacteria, probably not very.

Viruses of a key coral symbiont exhibit temperature-driven productivity across a reefscape​

"Viruses can affect coral health by infecting their symbiotic dinoflagellate partners (Symbiodiniaceae). Yet, viral dynamics in coral colonies exposed to environmental stress have not been studied at the reef scale, particularly within individual viral lineages. "

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a Uv sterilizer obliterate these viruses? Slow flow or fast?

Sean_B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is truly amazing

How would we even know?
the evidence might not be entirely conclusive, but uncomplicated reasoning might suggest "if it works, that's proof"

Might be worse?
it might be worse if all the variables associated with "natural seawater" become unsustainable.
if organisms are subjected to sterile environments, they might fare well until a common bacteria is introduced?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At small scales the intentional introduction of phages (viruses that kill particular bacteria) has been used against bacterial pathogens causing coral disease.

Phage therapy treatment of the coral pathogen Vibrio coralliilyticus

Is it ready to be useful? I don't think it's close. That paper was 2013 and there hasn't really been a flood of progress on that front since (judging by the dates on the papers.)

I think the hobby would respond pretty positively to alternatives to widespread use of antibiotic medications.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast. UV sterilization dosage requirements go up with organism size and complexity, so viruses would be at the very bottom of the requirements.

Also worth mentioning that public aquaria and growing facilities that use natural seawater generally sterilize it - if they only did very fine filtration (think diatom filters) it's likely some viruses would get through, but nearly any amount of UV would eliminate/inactivate them.

Hobby tanks using natural seawater wouldn't get that, generally, and would get the full viral load, but my assumption that the pollution involved with near-shore collection of the water would probably have a more significant effect - hard to effectively say in either way.

I think it would be interesting to see how introduction of specimens from different locations around the world and aquaculture facilities would effect the virus load of the tank. At least presumably, a lot of viruses would die out in captivity because their specific hosts aren't ones that live in captivity well or which get outcompeted in our closed systems, but the evolutionary speed of viruses is so fast because of their simplicity and potential for broad infection, so it's quite likely that a tank operating for as little as a few years to have some of their own genetically specific strains existing in their systems, and for larger operations that have been at it for longer, maybe substantially different strains.

Bacterial colonies also can share immunity between cells, so it's possible that in a closed system, individual virus strains may dieout faster than in the wild even when their preferred host is well represented. It's a complex and only basically understood world at those scales, it's encouraging to see some studies relating to coral and their symbiotes, though.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be worse?
I use natural sea water for my 430 gallon tank. I know I get all the good and all the nasties when it comes to virus. But I would be more concerned from a virus I got from a frag I bought from someone than I am of all the virus in my water. Reason being the frag had a virus that affects coral. As someone mentioned before in this thread, a virus needs very specific conditions to carry its rna forward. I bet even the intensity of lighting in some of the tanks with heavy SPS could kill many of these virus.

Edit: Just saw that DajMasta posted some thoughts just before this post and bring up some similar thoughts as mine.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How would we even know?

Prattle about good and bad bacteria? Them fightin’ words where I come from :)

I think the aquarist represents the largest threat to life in an aquarium, the only threat these organisms kept in glass cages have not evolved to contend with. The virus threat is likely minuscule in comparison to poor nutrition, unnatural conditions, and overcrowding in aquaria.

If there is prattling going on, it is about using chemical oxidizers to cure everything in the aquarium :yawning-face:

King Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excerpt on findings of viruses being eaten

In a series of experiments in the lab, the researchers examined how a range of these non-host marine organisms fared at removing viral particles from their aquatic environment – either via active predation, or via passive mechanisms, such as filter feeders and organisms that create physical barriers between viral parasites and their hosts.

Of the 10 different animal species tested, crabs, cockles, oysters, and sponges turned out to be the most effective at reducing viral abundance.

"In our experiments, the sponges reduced the presence of viruses by up to 94 percent within three hours," Welsh explains, although after a full 24 hours, that figure reached even 98 percent virus removal.

"Another experiment showed that the uptake of viruses happens indeed very quickly and effectively. Even if we offered new viruses to the water every 20 minutes, the sponges remained tremendously effective in removing viruses."

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viruses are very fragile. The genetic material of most is single stranded RNA, which is nowhere near as stable as DNA. Most cannot remain viable outside of their hosts for very long.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excerpt on findings of viruses being eaten

In a series of experiments in the lab, the researchers examined how a range of these non-host marine organisms fared at removing viral particles from their aquatic environment – either via active predation, or via passive mechanisms, such as filter feeders and organisms that create physical barriers between viral parasites and their hosts.

Of the 10 different animal species tested, crabs, cockles, oysters, and sponges turned out to be the most effective at reducing viral abundance.

"In our experiments, the sponges reduced the presence of viruses by up to 94 percent within three hours," Welsh explains, although after a full 24 hours, that figure reached even 98 percent virus removal.

"Another experiment showed that the uptake of viruses happens indeed very quickly and effectively. Even if we offered new viruses to the water every 20 minutes, the sponges remained tremendously effective in removing viruses."

Just to add to this, not all sponge species are that effective, but they're still pretty good at removal (20.4% on the low end of average for a different species than the one discussed in your reference; the scientific article for your reference is the second link in the quote below):
I haven't been able to find any info indicating that they eat dinoflagellates (which is actually kind of surprising to me), but they do eat diatoms, bacteria, and even viruses.*

*Sources (for virus feeding/removal - the diatoms and bacteria I can show in other papers if wanted):

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back