Sirlagzalott's "Lagz" IM NUVO 75 INT Build

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Greetings R2R friends! I guess this is where I will plant my flag on my current build project. First, a little history. I’ve been in and out of the hobby since college (early 90’s). I even graduated with a useless degree in Marine Biology lol (which has absolutely no relevance to my current career). Almost 15 years ago to the day (April 2009), I started a 300 gallon in-wall build with an adjoining fish room, etc (which I documented on another site under my former acronym Serpentman). Things were humming along, and the tank was developing nicely (see pics below) when I suffered a near fatal accident in 2012. At the time, it was decided to break things down and I took a hiatus from the hobby. Fortunately, I made a full recovery but extenuating circumstances kept me away. Fast forward to today, I’ve got the itch and decided to reenter the hobby. I currently do not have the space for a large tank so decided to focus more on quality than quantity for this build. I’m in the process of “relearning” as things have definitely changed in over a decade.

Given my limited space, I decided to go with an Innovative Marine NUVO 75 INT All-In-One setup. I would have preferred to go with the EXT model to give more room in the tank, but the INT fits the intended space absolutely perfectly. The tank has been ordered and is expected to ship next Monday (3/25). In the meantime, I’ve been on a massive spending spree to get everything ready. I have a bit of an equipment fetish so really must restrain myself given my space limitations. I will affectionately refer to this as my “alimony build” as I intend to upgrade houses in a few years (knock on wood).

Here is the current equipment list:

Aquarium
  • IM NUVO 75 INT
Sump
  • NUVO RFS 27
Return Pump
  • Mighty Jet DC XL
Lighting
  • 2 x Radion XR-15 Blue w/ diffusers
Flow
  • VorTech MP40wQD
Filtration
  • Reef Octopus Classic 152-S skimmer
  • IM MiniMax™ Pro AIO Media Reactor - GFO & Carbon
Control & Monitoring
  • Milwaukee MC811US pH/EC/Temp Monitor
  • IM Helio 400 Watt PTC Smart Aquarium Heater
Auto Top Off
  • IM HydroFill™ Ti ATO Pro Kit [5 Gallon] w/ APS Pedestal
Ca/KH
  • 2 x Ecotech Versa dosing 2-part
Aquascaping
  • 50lbs Marco Dry Rock
  • 60 lbs CaribSea Aragonite Aragamax

IMG_2061.jpeg IMG_2062.jpeg IMG_2063.jpeg

Kirklan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the where the tank will go. This area measures 39" x 24" so this tank will fit perfectly.
I just set up almost the exact same IM EXT 75 build as yours last weekend. Only difference is I went with XR15 pros and a different skimmer. Keep us updated on how it goes.

OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just set up almost the exact same IM EXT 75 build as yours last weekend. Only difference is I went with XR15 pros and a different skimmer. Keep us updated on how it goes.
I was torn between the Blues and Pros. Would love to see pics once yours is set up.

OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh happy day! Keeping Amazon busy! Picked up some odds and ends. Heading to my LFS soon to grab more stuff. So excited for the build. The anticipation is costing me a fortune!

EDIT: I have 50lbs of Marco rock coming tomorrow so looking forward to seeing how it looks.

20240321_191758302_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My equipment pile. I'm excited to open these boxes!

IMG_5615.jpeg
Oh happy day! Keeping Amazon busy! Picked up some odds and ends. Heading to my LFS soon to grab more stuff. So excited for the build. The anticipation is costing me a fortune!
Lolol I think if I ever leave the hobby and come back this is EXACTLY what's going to happen to me. Buy all the new fun toys and 8 things I had wished I started with last time to make my life easier at the cost of a lighter wallet. Can't wait to see everything wet!

OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lolol I think if I ever leave the hobby and come back this is EXACTLY what's going to happen to me. Buy all the new fun toys and 8 things I had wished I started with last time to make my life easier at the cost of a lighter wallet. Can't wait to see everything wet!
Its like Christmas every day
It has been fun....and expensive! Really looking forward to getting it going. Will have to temper my excitement and do things RIGHT lol. I want this to be a clean looking build so will be paying extra attention to keeping things neat and organized. We'll see how that works out lol.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its like Christmas every day

It has been fun....and expensive! Really looking forward to getting it going. Will have to temper my excitement and do things RIGHT lol. I want this to be a clean looking build so will be paying extra attention to keeping things neat and organized. We'll see how that works out lol.
If you figure it out come help me figure out my maze of tubes and cables lol

OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just received my 50lbs of premium dry Marco rock from saltwateraquarium.com and let me tell you, I'm very satisfied. Nice big pieces and good shapes. Probably more than I needed but always good to have extra.

20240322_200021115_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anticipation of this build is getting expensive lol. Decided to incorporate a UV sterilizer. I’m going to go with a 15W Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage. Planning to run 700gph through it.

Fortunately, this is a smaller build so still not totally out of control cost wise.

OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Impulse buy. Petco had a 50% off sale on aquariums so picked up a 40g breeder. Figure it will come in handy later.

IMG_5656.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not a super exciting update. Installed an RO/DI. Source water TDS is 98 and output was 0 right out of the bat so that’s good news. Not thrilled about where I had to install it. Unfortunately this house doesn’t have much utility space.

IMG_5664.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back