A Power Filter That Works!

SaltFishTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever used a power filter? Man this thing is a game changer! It was basically snowing in my display and 24 hours later it was so clean! Then moved it to the sump and it cleaned it all up for me. This thing is legit! I know this is old school so I didn’t create the idea, I just made some mods with a different pump and filter ways. Check out this video I made showing you how to make it and what’s required to build it. It’s super easy to make! I also attached pictures of it and how well it works:

64B6362A-07C1-4478-A78B-C2867965C469.jpeg

16620D5C-33B7-4226-ABCE-2A566983DABC.jpeg

A32B3A8E-A6EB-49EA-9827-23D290CCFFEA.jpeg

DEA00251-F35B-441F-87D6-7C2A566E6349.jpeg

7BADE32A-2E54-4E1C-979C-18E033F981D7.jpeg

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found diatom filters work great for removing crud and helping to reset the microbial populations in reef systems that may be experincing what looks like "Old Tank Syndrome" If I'm not mistaken, PaulB uses a diatom fitler yearly on his sytem.
he does. one thing you can do is squeeze it into the tank daily to release bacterial films for corals to consume.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found diatom filters work great for removing crud and helping to reset the microbial populations in reef systems that may be experincing what looks like "Old Tank Syndrome" If I'm not mistaken, PaulB uses a diatom fitler yearly on his sytem.
Sadly the vortex xl seems to have been discontinued. Anyone know of an alternative for very large reef tanks?

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly the vortex xl seems to have been discontinued. Anyone know of an alternative for very large reef tanks?
Even a hang on back (e.g., aqua clear) will do an excellent job cleaning the water. I have one on my lagoon for extra support. I used to run 2 of them on a 150 I had years ago (in addition to a sump). The water was always quite clear despite having a high fish load. That was before I ever considered using carbon.

OP
OP
SaltFishTV

SaltFishTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like running floss in a HOB filter would be an easier solution. Changing media would definitely be easier.
Yes that would work good as a polisher. The thing is with a power filter, as the wool clogs it creates a vacuum (as mentioned in the video) and makes it to where anything that passes through such as dinoflagellates or even cyano would get litterally shredded to non existence.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A powerfilter removes finer particles than just filter floss in an hang on unit because as it accumulates crud the pores get smaller but the unit doesn't overflow. I use a powerfilter on my return pump with a pressure rated pump with 40 feet head pressuee. If I leave it on for 3 to 5 days without cleaning that pump will nearly stop.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this the filter that I want to order? Amazon product

Also I watch the video several times and still get a bit confused on how to connect the filter to the jaebo pump. What am I actually heating-up. Do you have a close-up picture of the filter showing exactly what need to be heated?

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 ac110s as fuges and an ac50 with rubble rock and a small live rock. Hacked up the sponges from the ac110 into prefilters for all 3. But no floss or media to change out, I just rinse the sponges every water change. Not the prettiest to look at but gets the job done

dk300reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is what I use.

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 112
  • filter2.jpg
    filter2.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 104
  • filter3.jpg
    filter3.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 131
OP
OP
SaltFishTV

SaltFishTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this the filter that I want to order? Amazon product

Also I watch the video several times and still get a bit confused on how to connect the filter to the jaebo pump. What am I actually heating-up. Do you have a close-up picture of the filter showing exactly what need to be heated?

That is what I used. It’ll make a lot more sense when you have all of the parts and start putting it together. I believe I also replied to your comment on the video as well. In the video description I put direct links to all of these items used to build it as well.

OP
OP
SaltFishTV

SaltFishTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 ac110s as fuges and an ac50 with rubble rock and a small live rock. Hacked up the sponges from the ac110 into prefilters for all 3. But no floss or media to change out, I just rinse the sponges every water change. Not the prettiest to look at but gets the job done
Sounds like a good polisher

dk300reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice! How do you set it up and have any pictures while in use?
I put the cup in one end and then the pump I use fits in the other end tightly. I usually use it when mixing saltwater or after collecting water nearby before using it. Once in a while I will stir up the sand bed and run it in tank.

Attachments

• in tank.jpg
    in tank.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 94

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back