A tank I am interested in purchasing. Thoughts?

ana474

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is the 2nd used tank I am considering. The first one I looked at was a no-go. This tank is 90 gallons, rock and tank has been functioning for nearly 10 years, never broken down (until when and if I buy it of course). Last tank I had was 2005-2012. From what I remember, the only things this tank is missing is an ro system so I don't have to buy water, and a uv sterilizer.

Am I missing anything that this tank needs? Seller is selling it local to me for 1k for everything seen in photos. Only rock in the tank right now.

I'll probably remake the hood cover at some point because it's a bit dated, but otherwise, please fill me in if I am forgetting anything this tank needs to run fish and soft corals. It also has a heater in there as well.

If I purchase, I would like to cut out some of the rock as I personally feel it's crowded???

Screenshot_20230805_195044_OfferUp.jpg Screenshot_20230805_194912_OfferUp.jpg Screenshot_20230805_194903_OfferUp.jpg Screenshot_20230805_195019_OfferUp.jpg Screenshot_20230805_194603_OfferUp.jpg Screenshot_20230805_194918_OfferUp.jpg Screenshot_20230805_194851_OfferUp.jpg

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like there's better deals to be had as this is pretty dated and the sump is a somewhat modified wet/dry sump. I dont know your local market though. Does it come with lights and if so what kind?

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a nice system; the price I would bid them down a little more since the items are a little older. I would purchase some seal just to reseal the corners of the aquarium and the sump since it looks like it was drilled. Clean out all of the pumps and grease them all. I would recommend a controller if you do not have one already. Also in the sump, I do not see a collection sup switch (just in case the cup gets full, then the switch will trigger the Skimmer to turn off until the cup is empty). I also agree with you that the current setup looks crowded... Will you be using this sump, if so will you be plumbing it or using that hose? I would recommend plumbing it.

OP
OP
ana474

ana474

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A grand.
Good deal at todays prices.
Some good seasoned rock there, one of the single most important pieces from a bio-filter perspective.
That's what I was thinking, price alone makes this a good deal in my market. If I purchased, I'm going to tub the rock with the current water in that tank, along with tubbing some of the sump media to keep the bacteria going and have a nice cycle going fairly easy compared to starting from scratch. In my market that rock alone is $300+ for just live rock. ‍♀️

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d see if you could get it knocked down a little , but it looks like a solid deal otherwise. Make sure the lights are included. I’d get rid of the silly decoration in front too. Very nice looking overall. I like the rockwork. And lastly, even if the workings are a little older…”if aint broke, don’t fix it” is an axiom I’d follow.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking, price alone makes this a good deal in my market. If I purchased, I'm going to tub the rock with the current water in that tank, along with tubbing some of the sump media to keep the bacteria going and have a nice cycle going fairly easy compared to starting from scratch. In my market that rock alone is $300+ for just live rock. ‍♀️
Sounds like a great idea.
Just have a look around the seams and underneath for any dried salt creep, if none…..have fun!

OP
OP
ana474

ana474

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that your dream tank or something you will enjoy looking at everyday. If it is go for it. If not there will be others.
Dream tank? Well, no...my 'dream' tank (for my daughter's room of course) would be something like pictured below, BUT we're talking double the price for just the tank and stand with no equipment I can't see anyone selling off an entire system for a grand with a 90+ tank and stand like this with equipment. I already know how much my bank account isn't even touching the surface with 1k for a tank and stand.

Screenshot_20230805_203306_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
ana474

ana474

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a nice system; the price I would bid them down a little more since the items are a little older. I would purchase some seal just to reseal the corners of the aquarium and the sump since it looks like it was drilled. Clean out all of the pumps and grease them all. I would recommend a controller if you do not have one already. Also in the sump, I do not see a collection sup switch (just in case the cup gets full, then the switch will trigger the Skimmer to turn off until the cup is empty). I also agree with you that the current setup looks crowded... Will you be using this sump, if so will you be plumbing it or using that hose? I would recommend plumbing it.
I would like to clean it up under the tank a bit. It could be so much cleaner without the hose. He was asking 1400 and I pulled him down to 1k. If I decide to buy, I'll try to pull him to 800. The hood 100% has to be remade, just too bulky of a look for my taste.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to clean it up under the tank a bit. It could be so much cleaner without the hose. He was asking 1400 and I pulled him down to 1k. If I decide to buy, I'll try to pull him to 800. The hood 100% has to be remade, just too bulky of a look for my taste.
What lights are in the hood and how old? If they are decent lights and last you a year or two then $800 isn’t bad.

OP
OP
ana474

ana474

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice stand and tank. Seasoned rock. Everything in the lower cabinet is junk imo. Offer $600 and put a nice sump down there.
So underneath what would you suggest? As far as my knowledge, (going back quite a few years), the only thing I can think to do is a 3 chamber sump, first chamber being sock or some other form of collection, having a refugium center, and a return pump right side. Other way would be to do a protein skimmer center, sock or other left, and return pump right if I remember correct? I see how he did the dry pump left, which is a bit odd, but is that really a junk way to do it? It's odd, but functions. I imagine the way he set it up could require more water changes when fish are added, is that your concern?

OP
OP
ana474

ana474

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are in the hood and how old? If they are decent lights and last you a year or two then $800 isn’t bad.
I'd have to ask, but I imagine they aren't LED. He listed daytime and night-time lights included.

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So underneath what would you suggest? As far as my knowledge, (going back quite a few years), the only thing I can think to do is a 3 chamber sump, first chamber being sock or some other form of collection, having a refugium center, and a return pump right side. Other way would be to do a protein skimmer center, sock or other left, and return pump right if I remember correct? I see how he did the dry pump left, which is a bit odd, but is that really a junk way to do it? It's odd, but functions. I imagine the way he set it up could require more water changes when fish are added, is that your concern?
Since I’ve been looking to upgrade from my Little 32 to something in a similar size, there are some decnt options out there. I’m personally a fan of sumps with a 4th chamber so I can have a refugium, along with a skimmer or fleece roller.

But first, as advised by others, try to knock that price down a bit so you have the cash to shop for a decent replacement sump.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could consider a Trigger Systems sump with a 4th chamber as mentioned above and use it for a refugium. Cor 20 or similar Sicce return pump. Heaters and maybe a better skimmer. I run a Life Reef. A good ATO like Tunze 3155. Apex controller.

4868.jpeg

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also run a tank with filter socks, live rock, ato and a return without a bunch of extra equipment.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom line...

Some people are all about used equipment. Not me. I feel like you would be buying someone else's problems. Also, it is at least 10 years old. A decade of innovation will have passed you by. Nope.
I agree with jabber here. I have purchsded many Kessil a360we lights used. 80% of them failed the first year. Will never buy used lights again.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%

Back