A tank I am interested in purchasing. Thoughts?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom line...

Some people are all about used equipment. Not me. I feel like you would be buying someone else's problems. Also, it is at least 10 years old. A decade of innovation will have passed you by. Nope.
I wanted to add that I am 52 years old. I have bought a lot of used junk in my life. I don't purchase used stuff anymore. Your mileage may vary...

Genvid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not buy, it's better a little more expensive. Look a little.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dream tank? Well, no...my 'dream' tank (for my daughter's room of course) would be something like pictured below, BUT we're talking double the price for just the tank and stand with no equipment I can't see anyone selling off an entire system for a grand with a 90+ tank and stand like this with equipment. I already know how much my bank account isn't even touching the surface with 1k for a tank and stand.

Screenshot_20230805_203306_Chrome.jpg
Is this really for your daughters room ?? Hmmmm !! :thinking-face: Lol !!:grinning-squinting-face::grinning-face:

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won’t buy used tanks . Stopped that practice years ago after experiencing failures . You never know what stresses that used tanks are under .not saying this one is bad but I wouldn’t do it IMO.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like he’s selling a functional system.
I’d just restart that after a rock polish, new sand and saltwater.
Why recreate the wheel!

Iam not knowledgeable of US prices, in Canada, what you show in the pic new would be about $4K new.

So if it holds water and is not scratched, at least the price is certainly fair.

Good luck

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why recreate the wheel!

Iam not knowledgeable of US prices, in Canada, what you show in the pic new would be about $4K new.

So if it holds water and is not scratched, at least the price is certainly fair.

Good luck
Apply a decade long time machine to that calculation.

OP
OP
ana474

ana474

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also run a tank with filter socks, live rock, ato and a return without a bunch of extra equipment.
Won't that require a ton of water changes? I remember back in the day, '05, when a store helped me set up my first tank (65 gallons). I had a similar cabinet to the one I posted and under the tank I had a uv sterilizer, protein skimmer, chiller, a pad filter with bio balls under it, and the return, plus the halogen lights. A shrimp was used to cycle the tank, live rock added after, and that tank had me with 30 min a day checking parameters and 10% water changes weekly for everything to stay healthy. It was tedious. I don't know if it was just my ocd and needing everything at perfect levels all the time or if my setup just wasn't biodiverse enough to stand on it's own for a bit. I also had a tang in the 65, plus 6 other fish, that back then though, I was told it was perfectly fine. ‍♀️

OP
OP
ana474

ana474

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why recreate the wheel!

Good luck
Yep, here in S FL it would be about 5-6k new at any local store.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't that require a ton of water changes? I remember back in the day, '05, when a store helped me set up my first tank (65 gallons). I had a similar cabinet to the one I posted and under the tank I had a uv sterilizer, protein skimmer, chiller, a pad filter with bio balls under it, and the return, plus the halogen lights. A shrimp was used to cycle the tank, live rock added after, and that tank had me with 30 min a day checking parameters and 10% water changes weekly for everything to stay healthy. It was tedious. I don't know if it was just my ocd and needing everything at perfect levels all the time or if my setup just wasn't biodiverse enough to stand on it's own for a bit. I also had a tang in the 65, plus 6 other fish, that back then though, I was told it was perfectly fine. ‍♀️
I do about 10-15% every week or 2 but not because I'm lowering nutrients...I dose p04 and n03.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like Florida would have some good local reef clubs. A grand will get you a lot in Atlanta...but our local club is strong.

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I noticed in my search is there is always another tank coming to market. They hit fb marketplace every day. Wait till you find what you want for sure then don’t think and get it.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, here in S FL it would be about 5-6k new at any local store.
Wow…things are so inflated right now.so the seller is being quite fair IME. This is not dry equipment from someone’s basement, it’s wet and running, I doubt it would be leaking on his/her floor, you’d see that.
There are many reports on this site of new tanks failing, so this can happen to either new or used, but Your total risk is $1000 not $6000. That be a ton of coral IMM.

If it holds water today, one would reasonably assume it will hold water tomorrow.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back