About pH- part 3

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as y'all requested, yes I got the pH meter, but not Hanna, I couldn't get it so I got the basic popular pH meter and it looks like the test kit was 70% accurate, same thing with strips, but I don't know if it's my meter that is crappy too, anyway here's some pics

BEFORE CALIBRATION
20240423_203133.jpg

AFTER CALIBRATION
20240423_211752.jpg
20240423_212016.jpg
low pH I guess? But I'm gonna do what you all said, ignore it, I honestly think it was kind of stupid to be worried about the pH, but I love things perfect or it's just unsatisfying, now I feel like I even would tolerate 7.4 cuz everything and the animals are doing good in my tank

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unreliable…some of the red/yellow Chinese $12 pens work some don’t…none last long and those dry packets of “. 7.05” reference solution that you are supposed to add water to are junk…
Trust me, pH is important enuff to spend a few dollars

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unreliable…some of the red/yellow Chinese $12 pens work some don’t…none last long and those dry packets of “. 7.05” reference solution that you are supposed to add water to are junk…
Trust me, pH is important enuff to spend a few dollars
Second this. Do not ignore pH. If your pH fluctuates & continuously drops, it’s a sign of instability & usually first signs of potential problems, in my experience. The instability alone is not healthy for the animals & the animals will not display visible damage until days after dealing with the instability. The visual queues are not instantaneous unless it’s a massive crash to your system.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second this. Do not ignore pH. If your pH fluctuates & continuously drops, it’s a sign of instability & usually first signs of potential problems, in my experience. The instability alone is not healthy for the animals & the animals will not display visible damage until days after dealing with the instability. The visual queues are not instantaneous unless it’s a massive crash to your system.
So I can't use strips, liquid tests and meters? You know what I'm getting the buffer I don't know why I'm listening to people over there

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can't use strips, liquid tests and meters? You know what I'm getting the buffer I don't know why I'm listening to people over there

While I do not entirely agree with the post you were responding to (pH is rarely a critical measurement, IMO, but it can be useful), we can help get you a pH measuring device that will give good results.

I'd avoid strips and liquid tests because they are very hard for ordinary users to verify the accuracy of. They may also not be designed properly for seawater (even if sold for that).

The meter you got, does it have 2 point calibration? Can those buffers be pH 7 and pH 10?

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do not entirely agree with the post you were responding to (pH is rarely a critical measurement, IMO, but it can be useful), we can help get you a pH measuring device that will give good results.

I'd avoid strips and liquid tests because they are very hard for ordinary users to verify the accuracy of. They may also not be designed properly for seawater (even if sold for that).

The meter you got, does it have 2 point calibration? Can those buffers be pH 7 and pH 10?
ph4 and ph7 for the calibration with a screw

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ph4 and ph7 for the calibration with a screw

That's not optimal, since you will be measuring outside that range, but it can be functional, just with a bit more potential error.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may find these two articles useful:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back