Activated Carbon

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok a couple of years ago I bought some deep blue carbon and it started turning rusty color and after placing a magnet to it most of it was magnetic

Now I bought a bottle of red sea reef spec carbon and I just realized that it's magnetic also which is disappointing coming from a company like Red Sea. So it looks like I'll be going back to Rox or seachem matrix which are the only two that are not magnetic.

Any thoughts on this?

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's seems to answer one question for me. Thanks. But I would not say there's only two that are not.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sire why carbon would be magnetic, that seems strange. Im going to have to test mine later too, fluval carbon.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ok a couple of years ago I bought some deep blue carbon and it started turning rusty color and after placing a magnet to it most of it was magnetic

Now I bought a bottle of red sea reef spec carbon and I just realized that it's magnetic also which is disappointing coming from a company like Red Sea. So it looks like I'll be going back to Rox or seachem matrix which are the only two that are not magnetic.

Any thoughts on this?
Dont know but jasons right, this is a good topic. Maybe someone will figure out the whole rundown between magnetic and non magnetic gac.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.google.com/patents/US8097185
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0008622302000763

Abstract
In this work the adsorption features of activated carbon and the magnetic properties of iron oxides were combined in a composite to produce magnetic adsorbents. These magnetic particles can be used as adsorbent for a wide range of contaminants in water and can subsequently be removed from the medium by a simple magnetic procedure. Activated carbon/iron oxide magnetic composites were prepared with weight ratios of 2:1, 1.5:1 and 1:1 and characterized by powder XRD, TG, magnetization measurements, chemical analyses, TPR, N2 adsorption–desorption isotherms, Mössbauer spectroscopy and SEM. The results suggest that the main magnetic phase present is maghemite (γ-Fe2O3) with small amounts of magnetite (Fe3O4). Magnetization enhancement can be produced by treatment with H2 at 600 °C to reduce maghemite to magnetite. N2adsorption measurements showed that the presence of iron oxides did not significantly affect the surface area or the pore structure of the activated carbon. The adsorption isotherms of volatile organic compounds such as chloroform, phenol, chlorobenzene and drimaren red dye from aqueous solution onto the composites also showed that the presence of iron oxide did not affect the adsorption capacity of the activated carbon.

Randy can answer this better but it seems like a simple, yet detrimental, mix-up.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GFO fines can be a problem for your livestock, so this should be a nice feature, if anything. But it is interesting.

If this is new, it's curious....but as usual I'm having trouble getting into hand-waving/my-hair-is on-fire mode. That study is not about activated carbon, but a patented "hybrid" product. Let's remember how many folks are using the products and brands you're talking about with no issues. I mean plenty of folks run GFO and activated carbon in the same reactor anyway. How's that different?

If it's not new....some "big guns" (plural!) have analyzed carbon over the years and said NAUGHT about magnetism.

Either way, if it was true, why wouldn't there be some manufacturer claims (or caveats) based on it, or at least some hobbyist claims? (e.g. Tech M)

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO fines can be a problem for your livestock, so this should be a nice feature, if anything. But it is interesting.

If this is new, it's curious....but as usual I'm having trouble getting into hand-waving/my-hair-is on-fire mode. That study is not about activated carbon, but a patented "hybrid" product. Let's remember how many folks are using the products and brands you're talking about with no issues. I mean plenty of folks run GFO and activated carbon in the same reactor anyway. How's that different?

If it's not new....some "big guns" (plural!) have analyzed carbon over the years and said NAUGHT about magnetism.

Either way, if it was true, why wouldn't there be some manufacturer claims (or caveats) based on it, or at least some hobbyist claims? (e.g. Tech M)

So you guys think is safe to use ?

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Red Sea reply.
IMG_1477329792.369439.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a difference of coconut carbon vs saying one is better than the other...

I'm still curious.

DGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting you brought this up so I went ahead and ran an old Tunze magnet over the Red Sea carbon I had here.

I'd say the majority of it is not magnetic, however I did have maybe 20-25 pieces stick to the magnet out of what I'm sure is many thousands of granules.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Red Sea reply.
IMG_1477329792.369439.jpg

I still haven't received a reply backing stating if it is acid washed or not.

Edit: I went ahead and called and they said they were investigating that question and sent a query to their head quarters.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back