Added Epsom Salt-----

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added wpsom salt for fish constipation. I added a littl over two cups. I had to siphon out about 40 gallons of water and add fresh water to balance the salinity so I hope enough is left in there to make a difference.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I added wpsom salt for fish constipation. I added a littl over two cups. I had to siphon out about 40 gallons of water and add fresh water to balance the salinity so I hope enough is left in there to make a difference.
Epsom is a freshwater remedy fir goldfish and has no effect in saltwater as fish are already in salt
Fish have to relieve pressure on their own and if eating, brine shrimp fed will help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What fish has constipation and for how long?
Is it still eating?
Can you post a picture?

As @vetteguy53081 said, Epsom salts is mainly a remedy for freshwater fish, and then, for constipation, it needs to be in the food, not the water.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish has constipation and for how long?
Is it still eating?
Can you post a picture?

As @vetteguy53081 said, Epsom salts is mainly a remedy for freshwater fish, and then, for constipation, it needs to be in the food, not the water.
Its a Grouper. It has been about ten days. I was reading a Humblefish post that said Epsom Salt could work. He is not eating. He is not trying to eat. His stomach is slighty fat but is definitely not as flat as it should be for a fish that has not eaten. His stomach has been slighty fat with a bulge for 10 days. And he has not eaten for that same time. I would give him peas of brine if he were eating. But he is not. I was gonna try that seachem kannacin or something and throw him in a qt. I can try for a pic when I get home. A VTail Grouper

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a Grouper. It has been about ten days. I was reading a Humblefish post that said Epsom Salt could work. He is not eating. He is not trying to eat. His stomach is slighty fat but is definitely not as flat as it should be for a fish that has not eaten. His stomach has been slighty fat with a bulge for 10 days. And he has not eaten for that same time. I would give him peas of brine if he were eating. But he is not. I was gonna try that seachem kannacin or something and throw him in a qt. I can try for a pic when I get home. A VTail Grouper

A pic and a video would help.

Peas is also misdirected advice - I know the person who developed that technique (an old time aquarist at the Shedd Aquarium). It was designed for fancy goldfish. What happens is that these goldfish have odd twists to their intestines and are prone to trapping gas, making them float upside down.. Feeding them peas helps push the gas out. People passed that knowledge on, and over time, it got applied to marine fish (grin).

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure this will help its the only one I can get right now. You can see his stomach though has what would normally he a healthy bump after eating. Except its been 10 days or a little more. He was in four foot 120 for over a year and this happened about three days before I relocated him to a 180. He lives with a Trigger and two Eels but he is the boss.
IMG_1070.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure this will help its the only one I can get right now. You can see his stomach though has what would normally he a healthy bump after eating. Except its been 10 days or a little more. He was in four foot 120 for over a year and this happened about three days before I relocated him to a 180. He lives with a Trigger and two Eels but he is the boss.
IMG_1070.jpeg
I cannot tell from the picture any issue - it would be helpful to have it under white light - with a clear view of the abdomen. were there any issues with the tank transfer?

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot tell from the picture any issue - it would be helpful to have it under white light - with a clear view of the abdomen. were there any issues with the tank transfer?
No issues. This began prior to transferring by 3 days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

he has a small knot inside around his anus

That sounds like an impaction. Not much you can do for this, but they sometimes work their way out.

In the pictures, the groupers skin seems blotchy to me.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a v Tail jay. I just changed the lights before this picture. So his color is adjusting. He is dark red now but I have found that he changes colors from red, to pale to his white mottle showing most prominent. Thank you. Hes still acting rather normal apart from not eating.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one more question. When adding epsom salt the salinity spiked. It took a lot of water to adjust it back to the require level. Do I need to worry about the measurement? I mean you can really use epsom salt for aquarium salt right?

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely agree and it’s incredibly toxic.
This was the thread on this forum. I thought Humblefish was a person not a group of people. Also I thought he was pretty reputable.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This was the thread on this forum. I thought Humblefish was a person not a group of people. Also I thought he was pretty reputable.
He does usually have some good info. But Humblefish.com is his forum/page as well. He is also called Humblefish lol it’s confusing I know. His actual name is Bobby and he really isn’t active in this forum anymore. The other forum is his and it’s not moderated like at all so I advise everyone to stay off it. That being said I love this forum and the fish disease experts on here are knowledgeable and reputable.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does usually have some good info. But Humblefish.com is his forum/page as well. He is also called Humblefish lol it’s confusing I know. His actual name is Bobby and he really isn’t active in this forum anymore.
The epsom I used was pure ups. I read that the stuff in it is also present in the aquarium salt. I'd assume that the other kinds with lavender and stuff would be toxic.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The epsom I used was pure ups. I read that the stuff in it is also present in the aquarium salt. I'd assume that the other kinds with lavender and stuff would be toxic.
You would be correct but as others have said epson salt in a saltwater aquarium does not do anything since it’s just adding more salt/in a different forum.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one more question. When adding epsom salt the salinity spiked. It took a lot of water to adjust it back to the require level. Do I need to worry about the measurement? I mean you can really use epsom salt for aquarium salt right?

I'm not sure why the salinity spiked like that, how much Epsom salts did you add? The typical dose is one tablespoon per 5 gallons.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back