Adding copepods

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping to add a red ruby dragonette when my tank is fully matured. I haven’t even set it up yet so I’m thinking a few months down the line.

My question is, I’m going to start adding pods as soon as my tank is cycled but what’s the right amount to add, how often etc. Then in two or three months when I add the dragonette it will have a supply waiting for it but if I can’t get it to eat other food as well. How often would I need to continue supplementing pods?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping to add a red ruby dragonette when my tank is fully matured. I haven’t even set it up yet so I’m thinking a few months down the line.

My question is, I’m going to start adding pods as soon as my tank is cycled but what’s the right amount to add, how often etc. Then in two or three months when I add the dragonette it will have a supply waiting for it but if I can’t get it to eat other food as well. How often would I need to continue supplementing pods?
General rule of thumb is one 16 oz. Jar per 50 gallons. But you really can not over add. Copepods are Great for so many aspects of an aquarium. I have a 90 gallon and I ad 4 jars monthly. Just also make sure you get phytoplankton to feed the pods

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, I do not yet have a dragonet but will be getting one. I do have multiple other fish that eat them. Your best best bet is to plan on adding monthly for sure , or grow your own. You will need a never ending very healthy supply for a dragonet.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more rockwork you have, the more they can hide in the rocks and not get eaten.

If you feed phyto to your tank, then they should reproduce and maintain the population in the tank.

If you have fish that eat pods compared to fish that snack on them but don't eat mainly pods, then the population will be able to grow and last longer.

To me, its exactly the same as pouring money into my tank, its $30 a pack where I live, so I don't do it often at all. But when I look in my sump, I always see loads of pods and amphipods. IMO, a sump or refugium are the most effective ways to really maintain and grow the populations.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more rockwork you have, the more they can hide in the rocks and not get eaten.

If you feed phyto to your tank, then they should reproduce and maintain the population in the tank.

If you have fish that eat pods compared to fish that snack on them but don't eat mainly pods, then the population will be able to grow and last longer.

To me, it’s exactly the same as pouring money into my tank, its $30 a pack where I live, so I don't do it often at all. But when I look in my sump, I always see loads of pods and amphipods. IMO, a sump or refugium are the most effective ways to really maintain and grow the populations.
I’m getting the 13.5 so could possibly make a refugium in one of the chambers.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back