Adding more fish to 40 gallon

TailspotBlenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be moving 3 of my fish to a smaller soft coral only tank I’m currently cycling. So I want to add 2-3 more to my 40 gallon LPS and zoa reef. I have a lot of rock work with caves and swim-throughs . This is a 40 lagoon so it’s 35 long x 16 wide x 13 high.

Existing stock list:

Midas blenny
Tailspot blenny
Royal gramma (hides constantly, not due to others aggression as far as I can see)
Springer damsel (very peaceful so far)
Cleaner shrimp

I want fish that swim openly most of the time.

My ideas (3 from this list):

Lubbock wrasse (seeing mixed opinions on 40 gallon size)
Chalk bass
Azure damsel (okay to add with established Springer damsel?)
Blue/green chromis
Black cardinal

Any opinions and advice on these fish with my current list would be greatly appreciated.

FlyinAg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the chalk basslet and go with a lantern basslet if it comes down to one of those... But you mentioned that you wanted a swimmer and I think both of those like to hang out in the rocks

OP
OP
TailspotBlenny

TailspotBlenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a chalk bass in a previous tank and he was out all the time. So I’m leaning towards that one. I have heard the assessors are more reclusive.

I’m more unsure about the Springeri damsel accepting the Azure and chromis.

Anyone have a black cardinal? Haven’t heard much about them. May be kind of boring but I like black.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m going to be moving 3 of my fish to a smaller soft coral only tank I’m currently cycling. So I want to add 2-3 more to my 40 gallon LPS and zoa reef. I have a lot of rock work with caves and swim-throughs . This is a 40 lagoon so it’s 35 long x 16 wide x 13 high.

Existing stock list:

Midas blenny
Tailspot blenny
Royal gramma (hides constantly, not due to others aggression as far as I can see)
Cleaner shrimp

Chalk bass
Blue/green chromis
Black cardinal

Any opinions and advice on these fish with my current list would be greatly appreciated.
Azure and cardinal, Best bet

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Existing stock list:

Midas blenny
Tailspot blenny
Cleaner shrimp

Chalk bass
Blue/green chromis
Black cardinal

Wouldn’t
  • Lubbock’s 40 gallon is probably too small. (Although you could get a smaller wrasse like a Possum)
  • Chalk Bass is likely to hide in the rocks for most of the time.
  • Azure is a hit or miss with the Springer Damsel.
Would
  • Chromis, they can be inclined to disease, but if you can get a quarantined one, it should be fine.
  • Cardnals, I’ve never heard of a Black Cardnal, so I don’t know specifically about those, but my Pajamas are always out-and-about.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back