Advice needed

Tbird165

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to get out of the hobby a little over 2 years ago because I had to move. Now I want to get back into the hobby and was thinking of doing a nano reef tank.

I would love some input. I have a fluval flex 15gal that I had for freshwater that I’ll be using, a ai prime 16hd for lighting. I’ll be keeping 2 clowns in the tank also.

Now for the question I have. Can I do a bare bottom nano tank? What type of coral would be recommended for this size tank? Also would it be possible to have an anemone in this size tank and if so what kind? Also what would be a good clean up crew for a tank this size?

Also any advice on keeping a tank this size is welcome.

Thanks in advance for any input you can give and I’ll be posting pictures when I do get the tank setup.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare bottom is certainly possible, just be sure to make up for the lost biological surface area of the sand with an abundance of rock and/or bio media. You can keep any type of coral in any size tank for the most part, so long as your chemistry, flow and light are on point. If you mean which would be easiest, you could do soft corals like leathers or GSP and hardy LPS like candy canes and branch hammers. Bubbletip or mini-maxi anyone’s would do fine in a tank that size. A decent clean up crew would be a handful of small hermits, some ceriths and dwarf ceriths, a few nassarius, and perhaps a scarlet skunk cleaner or peppermint shrimp. I don’t recommend emerald crabs, I’ve seen them chow down on live coral and also attack sleeping fish. #1 focus for you with the small water volume will be stability. Auto top off or religious manual top offs daily are a must in my opinion. If you have any more specific questions I’ll help as much as I can, good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tbird165

Tbird165

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare bottom is certainly possible, just be sure to make up for the lost biological surface area of the sand with an abundance of rock and/or bio media. You can keep and type of coral in any size tank for the most part, so long as your chemistry, flow and light are on point. If you mean which would be easiest, you could do soft corals like leathers or GSP and hardy LPS like candy canes and branch hammers. Bubbletip or mini-maxi anyone’s would do fine in a tank that size. A decent clean up crew would be a handful of small hermits, some ceriths and dwarf ceriths, a few nassarius, and perhaps a scarlet skunk cleaner or peppermint shrimp. I don’t recommend emerald crabs, I’ve seen them chow down on live coral and also attack sleeping fish. #1 focus for you with the small water volume will be stability. Auto top off or religious manual top offs daily are a must in my opinion. If you have any more specific questions I’ll help as much as I can, good luck!
Thanks for the input it gives me a lot to think about. I will attach a pic of the filter the cube uses. The filter is like a sponge filter but stiffer and there are two openings, one for the charcoal and the other for some round plastic stuff that helps with the bio load. I can pull the filter and use some rock in that space instead

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpeg
    IMG_0265.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 35

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back