Advice on my first tank?

Fiona22222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I don't really know if this is meant to be a post or thread because I'm a DMs and Snapchat kinda girl normally lol but I am hoping to get a Fluval Evo 13.5 for Christmas to treat myself. I have been a fresh water girly since I was 10 but I have ALWAYS wanted my own nemo fish and Jacques. I am thinking live rock, sand, and I am going to start with a FOWLR so I don't completely die of confuddilation.

Is a pair of Clownfish and one cleaner shrimp along with a couple of lil snails be OK stocking? FW sites always agree on stocking but there has been so many different opinions about SW that I am totally befuddled. Also I know that calcium can be depleted by coral but if I don't use any is that a parameter I need to worry about? Also, what about Phostphates? I know they need to be monitored but is it as important with a FOWLR?

Sorry about how long this was I just really want to get it right. I'm autistic and fish tanks have always been so helpful when I am overstimulated but my fancy goldfish recently died and it gave me the push to go over to the salty side. If you're still here thanks and I would very much appreciate any advice!!!

I'm so excited!!

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a nice tank to start out with and yes you can most defiantly start out with a pair of clowns and some inverts with no issue. as for calcium I wouldn't worrie about it as you'll be adding it with water changes. The Phosphate if to high will cause some uglies but water changes and feeding on the lighter side you should be all good for a FOWLR

Enjoy!

OP
OP
Fiona22222

Fiona22222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a nice tank to start out with and yes you can most defiantly start out with a pair of clowns and some inverts with no issue. as for calcium I wouldn't worrie about it as you'll be adding it with water changes. The Phosphate if to high will cause some uglies but water changes and feeding on the lighter side you should be all good for a FOWLR

Enjoy!
Thanks so much, all the tests can seem really daunting!

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is real live rock the super-duper expensive stuff with coraline algae (the purpley stuff?) because that's what I thought it was. Now I'm muy confuddled what's fake live rock?
So real live rock comes from the ocean and there are vendors who sell that online. You wouldn’t need much so it could be pretty reasonable.

Fake live rock would be rock that starts as dry rock but becomes live once it’s in your aquarium. Of course this takes months.

OP
OP
Fiona22222

Fiona22222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So real live rock comes from the ocean and there are vendors who sell that online. You wouldn’t need much so it could be pretty reasonable.

Fake live rock would be rock that starts as dry rock but becomes live once it’s in your aquarium. Of course this takes months.
Ohhhhh that makes loads more sense, thank you, why would you recommend real live rock over fake? Just out of curiosity

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhhh that makes loads more sense, thank you, why would you recommend real live rock over fake? Just out of curiosity
From what I read, much more bacterial diversity. Also, the tank won’t go through an ugly phase…or at least not as long of one.

There are threads on here if you want to research it some.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
89582.gif

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Carib Sea ACS00940 Ocean Direct Natural Live Sand for Aquarium, 40-Pound https://a.co/d/cWNme1k

You won't need all of the ocean direct sand, but it's cheaper and has small shells and looks very cool in a aquarium. Do not rinse! Very important. Water will be cloudy for a day or two. This is imo the best way to avoid a ugly stage for the most part.

OP
OP
Fiona22222

Fiona22222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, glad you are here! You can also check your local fish stores, mine carries live rock in tubs. You could also look for someone selling from a tank tear down or someone down sizing.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back