Advice-PROS AND CONS OF DIFFERENT BIO FILTRATION

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone....I wanted to get some solid and thought out opinions on bio filtration methods... please alaberate on why you suggest a method or combination of methods....

1. Bio balls

2. Marine pure blocks

3. Natural lava rocks

4. Live rock

5. Sand deep bed or regular

6. Carbon dosing- vodka or vinegar

7. Algae

8. Poly filter media

FYI I'M NOT A BALL BUSTER SO I'M NOT TRYING TO FISH FOR DRAMA...thanks in advance

OP
OP
dark waters

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving Marine pure, dropped My Nitrates from 15ppm to 2 PPM in 4-6 weeks.

I'm a fan of marine pure myself...I have six 8x8x4 blocks....and it is super light wieght...imo really good for large tanks that need alot of filtration but live rock gets to heavy with a glass sump or something...thanks for thoughts

blacktippr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tank is 700 gallons total water volume , and I'm currently running 8 blocks , but 6 did the trick perfectly.

None of the other methods worked efficiently for lowering nitrates, my Bioload is really heavy.

100 gallon refugium full of Caulerpa and chaetto didn't do the trick.

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on marine pure have 6 blocks... Very heavy bio load ..... Nitrate 0 , 1000 gallons .... Dose carbon and 200gallon refurgium.

OP
OP
dark waters

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tank is 700 gallons total water volume , and I'm currently running 8 blocks , but 6 did the trick perfectly.

None of the other methods worked efficiently for lowering nitrates, my Bioload is really heavy.

Wow if you don't mine tell me more about the caulerpa and chaetto when you get a minute you can pm me if you wish ...thanks in advance

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You used organic carbon dosing and could not get nitrate down?

OP
OP
dark waters

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on marine pure have 6 blocks... Very heavy bio load ..... Nitrate 0 , 1000 gallons .... Dose carbon and 200gallon refurgium.

If you don't mine which cardon source do you use.... I know they got a couple of products out and it pulls alot of oxygen...so you need to have a good skimmer...thanks for your input

OP
OP
dark waters

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discuss the pros and cons of many of these methods here:

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium - REEFEDITION
https://www.reef2reef.com/blog/nitrate-in-the-reef-aquarium

and

Phosphate In The Reef Aquarium
https://www.reef2reef.com/blog/?p=3184

One possible issue with Marinepure is the release of aluminum. I'm not sure how big of an issue that is, but it may be worth considering.
Thank you so much...I'm going to read it these links in full by tonight...thanks for the knowledge

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose vinegar and white sugar mix , .... I used to do vsv method but over time went with just vinegar , then added sugar. Vodka gave me some bacteria growth.... I mix them together and dose 90ml during full lights spread over 6 hours@ 2 hours apart 30 ml per dose on my dosing pumps. I do use bacteria Doctor tim's eco balance once per week. Yes oversized skimmer .... Is a must , in my opinion.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RANDY MY NITRATES ARE AWESOME ... I MAY GET A READING OR 5 PPM HERE AND THERE BUT THIS IS AWESOME FOR A DIRTY MEAT EATING FISH...

FWIW, I was directing my organic carbon dosing and elevated nitrate comments at blacktippr. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RANDY MY NITRATES ARE AWESOME ... I MAY GET A READING OR 5 PPM HERE AND THERE BUT THIS IS AWESOME FOR A DIRTY MEAT EATING FISH...

If nitrate is where you want it, I wouldn't suggest adding any of the methods you post. No normal reef tank with live rock or sand seems to have elevated ammonia, so the only purpose would be to impact nitrate somehow. :)

blacktippr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You used organic carbon dosing and could not get nitrate down?
Yes Randy, when I was having issues , told you that over six months was Vodka dosing and could not get them down. At that time over 50PPM NITRATES. I added 200 gallons to my overall water volume, and that somehow lowered it a bit. Chaetto and Caulerpa that covered a 6 feet refugium with 100 gallon water capacity, did not made much difference.

The only thing I can attribute the decrease in nitrates was the 6 Marine Pure blocks. Recently added 2 more blocks because I love to heavy feed, and will like to add to my Bioload as fish. Take a look of my 2 refugiums.

Nitrates under 2 PPM as last nights Red Sea test.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

blacktippr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow if you don't mine tell me more about the caulerpa and chaetto when you get a minute you can pm me if you wish ...thanks in advance
Caulerpa and Chaetto have been growing steady with 100watt CFL 5000k from Home Depot.

I run it on 20hours , the turn on when the tank switches to moonlight on opposed squedule to keep PH UP. My PH Is never under 8.1

OP
OP
dark waters

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
Caulerpa and Chaetto have been growing steady with 100watt CFL 5000k from Home Depot.

I run it on 20hours , the turn on when the tank switches to moonlight on opposed squedule to keep PH UP. My PH Is never under 8.1

OP
OP
dark waters

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discuss the pros and cons of many of these methods here:

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium - REEFEDITION
https://www.reef2reef.com/blog/nitrate-in-the-reef-aquarium

and

Phosphate In The Reef Aquarium
https://www.reef2reef.com/blog/?p=3184

One possible issue with Marinepure is the release of aluminum. I'm not sure how big of an issue that is, but it may be worth considering.

RANDY THIS IS ONE OF A GOOD READ THANKS FOR SHARING...THIS COULD BE A STICKY LOL

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back