Advise on new build please

BobMc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on doing a new tank this summer. I've got some big projects on my schedule at work, and I'm planning on spending my bonus check on a new reef.

Info that may be helpful:
We plan on an LPS dominated tank, with fish and some other corals that we come across and like. I plan on reusing and supplementing the LR and sand from the 75g I'm running now. If I can get my wife to go for it, the 75 will become my sump in the basement, otherwise I'll probably pick up a 55g at a yard sale and tuck it in the stand.
I have the tools and skills for most DIY projects. I'll probably build the stand, plumbing, maybe lighting, sump mods, etc.

First questions are about the tank, obviously.

I'd like to put the tank in the front window. It only gets a little direct sun late in the day, so I think I'll be ok there, and my wife keeps the house cold, so heat should not be an undue issue. Does this sound right to you more experienced folks?

The tank itself: I'm thinking about 72" long and 30"-36" tall. What would y'all recommend for the third dimension? And what are some of the issues I can expect to encounter with a tall tank like this? One I see is lighting. What's your suggestion there?

I like acrylic, the wife prefers glass, what's your opinion, and why?

I'm heading over to the vendor feedback forum, but who do you like for a tank supplier? If this type of discussion is against the rules, feel free to pm me your opinion.

Thanks for your time,

Robert

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 43 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back